PDA

View Full Version : Is Margarito another Ricky Hatton for Pacquiao?

KIDWCKED
08-10-2010, 10:51 PM
c/p
August 10th, 2010
By Chris Williams: You got to really hand it to Bob Arum, he really knows how to pick beatable opponents for Manny Pacquiao to not only beat but look good against. In selecting former IBF/WBA welterweight champion Antonio Margarito (38-6, 27 KO’s) for Pacquiao to fight on November 13th instead of the arguably much more dangerous Sergio Martinez or Paul Williams, Arum appears to have found another Ricky Hatton type fighter for Pacquiao to continue to shine against. Like Hatton, Margarito is a come forward type fighter with little defensive ability, a tendency to block punches with his fast and slow of hand and foot.

In other words, this is the perfect opponent for Pacquiao to beat and look good against. Margarito isn’t boxer/puncher like Martinez or as tall as the 6’1” Williams nor is he a skillful boxer like Timothy Bradley. These are all fighters that Arum could have matched against Pacquiao for November 13th, but instead he’s opted to select the slower, arguably much more hittable Margarito to fight Manny. All I can say is good job, Arum. I think he’s found another Hatton and Pacquiao should win this fight without any problems, probably well before the 9th round. Margarito was stopped by Shane Mosley in the 9th round in his fight before last in a one-sided loss in January of last year.
Mosley’s hand speed was too much for the slow-handed Margarito, and he spent the better part of the fight eating up Margarito on the inside and then clinching him to keep him from throwing back. Pacquiao won’t bother with the clinching part, because his ability to get in and get out will be enough dominate the slower Margarito without any problems. I don’t really see this as an entertaining right, though, and I’m disappointed in Arum for choosing Margarito. If the idea is for Pacquiao to look good, then I think Arum has done his job in picking Margarito out as Pacquiao’s next opponent. But if the idea was to put on a competitive fight in which Pacquiao has a very real chance of losing, then I think Arum has done a poor job by choosing Margarito.
I don’t see Margarito as being capable of beating Pacquiao, not now. Maybe a couple of years ago he might have been, but not now. I don’t think it will be entertaining for boxing fans to watch Pacquiao beat up on a big slow guy like Margarito for 12 rounds. As a boxing fan, I’d much rather see Pacquiao face someone that has some hand speed like Martinez and Bradley, and would have a real chance at beating Pacquiao. If they want to fight a slow guy, then let Pacquiao fight Paul Williams. He’s not much faster than Margarito, but he would be capable of throwing 100 punches per round. I’d like to see that.
I think Pacquiao would have his hands full against Williams, Martinez or Bradley. If Arum doesn’t want to have Pacquiao fight those guys for some reason, then how about putting Pacquiao in with Alfredo Angulo. He’s a slightly shorter but more powerful version of Margarito. That would be interesting to see. If he wants Pacquiao fight another slow guy, then I think Angulo or Williams would be a much better choice than Margarito.