PDA

View Full Version : Dawson Ready For Pascal: Hopes To Get Bute, Calzaghe

Gamer
08-12-2010, 06:02 AM
c/p By Lem Satterfield

IBO/WBC interim-light heavyweight champion Chad Dawson (29-0, 17KOs) is ready for this Saturday's big fight against Jean Pascal (25-1, 16 KOs), who holds the fulle WBC title. The fight happens in Pascal's backyard at the Bell Centre in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. After two years of fighting Glen Johnson and Antonio Tarver, Dawson wants to put on the best performance of his career.

"I'm not looking for the performance that I had against Glen Johnson, even though I dominated that last fight between us. I'm not looking for an Antonio Tarver performance. I'm looking for an entirely new performance. I want to show something that neither the fans or anybody else has ever seen from me. I'm looking to go out there and use my strengths," Dawson said.

Beyond Pascal, Dawson is looking at a few different options. The first on the list is IBF super middleweight king Lucian Bute (26-0, 21 KOs). There is also WBA super middleweight titlist Andre Ward (21-0, 13 KOs), Bernard Hopkins (51-5-1, 32 KOs) and even the retired Joe Calzaghe.

Dawson says he is still capable of making 168 to face some of the names at the weight, but he will no longer chase after a fight with Hopkins at 175.

"Of course, I could still make 168 pounds. The Super Six Tournament, those guys are looking good. Andre Ward is another young guy. There are a lot of options. People keep asking me about Bernard Hopkins. But I'm not chasing Bernard anymore. I think that he's on his last legs," Dawson said.

"People will say that you can't say that about a legend. Bernard is a legend, but until he gets into the ring with me, you can't say that he's the best in the light heavyweight division. I'm hoping that Joe Calzaghe comes out of retirement, because he retired on a bad note, too. Because until you fight me, then you're not the best."

As stated earlier, Bute is at the top of the list. If he beats Pascal, Dawson would like to return to Canada to face Bute.

"Like I said, in order to prove that I'm the best, then I'll fight anywhere and fight anybody. I'd love to go back to Canada and fight Lucian Bute. If he's at ringside when I fight Jean Pascal, I'm going to give him a reason not to want to fight me. Trust me on that," Dawson said.