PDA

View Full Version : Pavin, Gray in dustup over Ryder Cup and Tiger!

KIDWCKED
08-13-2010, 11:17 PM
c/p from Foxsports by the a/p
Tiger Woods has told Corey Pavin he will accept a captain’s pick to play on the United States Ryder Cup team.
Translated into simple English, that means that come October in Wales, Woods will be at Celtic Manor in the red, white and blue.

All any captain would need to hear from the world No. 1 is that his heart’s into representing his country and that he wants to play.
So Woods, one way or another, will be on the team.
Not that Pavin is going to say that.
Why?
Because, as he noted Wednesday ahead of the PGA Championship, “it would be disrespectful to everybody that’s trying to make the team.”
Fair enough.
He won’t say it, but let’s not pretend that if Woods doesn’t make one of the eight automatic qualifying spots after this week — he’s currently placed tenth — that Pavin wouldn’t use one of his four captain’s picks on him.
So ignore all the soft-shoe shuffling Pavin’s doing now, which led to a heated altercation with Golf Channel reporter Jim Gray on Wednesday.
The genteel world of golf was turned on its head after Gray reported late Tuesday that Pavin told him Woods would be chosen.
Pavin responded on Wednesday that “there was a misinterpretation of what I said, and that is an incorrect quote.”
The combustible Gray confronted the feisty Pavin after a news conference Wednesday, pointing his finger at the American captain and calling him a liar.
“You’re going down,” Pavin later said Gray told him.
I’m not sure how Gray thinks he’s going to bring him down, though let’s not forget the interviewer was most recently the genius behind LeBron James’ unbearable made-for-TV special, “The Decision.”
So I'm guessing Pavin's captain's picks aren't going to be turned into a one-hour special on Golf Channel.