PDA

View Full Version : trouble with dish 500

cobra9898
08-25-2010, 07:27 AM
I had a dish 500 hooked up to an NF.it was working great till nf whent down. I swaped the NF for a sonic view and am showing good sig/qual on both 119/110 with both sats locked in. i did a chan search and am missing alot of cannels i re-pointed and same issue. a few time it would show no signal at all.I would re set the box and it sometimes came back

i hooked up a CNX nan2 and same issue lots of missing chan. I have swaped coax cables, re-pointed, moved the dish (because of possible tree obstruction).possibly a bad lnb? I really dont know help

Mavrick
08-25-2010, 02:15 PM
I had a dish 500 hooked up to an NF.it was working great till nf whent down. I swaped the NF for a sonic view and am showing good sig/qual on both 119/110 with both sats locked in. i did a chan search and am missing alot of cannels i re-pointed and same issue. a few time it would show no signal at all.I would re set the box and it sometimes came back

i hooked up a CNX nan2 and same issue lots of missing chan. I have swaped coax cables, re-pointed, moved the dish (because of possible tree obstruction).possibly a bad lnb? I really dont know help

Check and see if you are getting the missing channels on both the 110 & 119 or just one sat, if it's just happening on one sat then swap the LNB's around and see if the issue jumps to the other sat, if it does then it sounds like it could be a failing LNB.

If the issue is happening on both sats and you have two Single LNB's on the dish and are using a switch, try bypassing the switch with a barrel-connector and connect the LNB's directly to the receiver and rescan, if all your channels show up then you know it's was the switch that was causing the problem.

Also check in the settings that your LNB-Type did not changed somehow, a Dish-500 usualy has Dishpro LNB's and the wrong LNB-Type entered can cause missing channels. It would not be a bad idea to check ALL the active TP's on the sats to see if you are getting a good signal, people tend to only check 1 TP but all TP's need to be strong (above 80) to get all the channels.

JimMrBass
08-25-2010, 02:43 PM
Your problem could be because of the internal switching that the 500 does if my memory serves me right.
The only true way I know to find out if this is happening is to by pass the internal switching of the 500 and run a direct line to the receiver set up 119 then do the same for 110. Now add a SW-21 Switch and eliminate the internal switching.

Mavrick
08-25-2010, 06:13 PM
Your problem could be because of the internal switching that the 500 does if my memory serves me right.
The only true way I know to find out if this is happening is to by pass the internal switching of the 500 and run a direct line to the receiver set up 119 then do the same for 110. Now add a SW-21 Switch and eliminate the internal switching.

The DP-Twin LNB does have an internal switch but you would need a DP switch (not a SW-21) to turn off the interal-switch inside the LNB, that is providing that he is using a DP-Twin LNB with the 500 and not 2 singles..........

cobra9898
08-25-2010, 08:17 PM
it is a DPP dual. I got a new dpp dual, and two dp singles+switch. i'm going to swap it out later today as the temp out here in socal is 103F

Mavrick
08-25-2010, 10:18 PM
it is a DPP dual. I got a new dpp dual, and two dp singles+switch. i'm going to swap it out later today as the temp out here in socal is 103F

How do you have the DPP, 2 Singles and switch all connected, and what kind of switch?

There is a good chance that your missing channels are being caused by a lack of power, DPP lnb's are power-hogs to begin with.

The Wufman
08-26-2010, 01:10 PM
If you are using a DPPlus twin with only one receiver then it is likley as Maverick stated;not enough power to properly operate the internal switch...try connecting both receivers to the lnb and power on and see if that helps..JMO

Mavrick
08-26-2010, 02:09 PM
If you are using a DPPlus twin with only one receiver then it is likley as Maverick stated;not enough power to properly operate the internal switch...try connecting both receivers to the lnb and power on and see if that helps..JMO

I always thought that would help as-well Wuf, but I was told by member here recently that DP LNB's will only draw power from 1 receiver at a time (the strongest one connected) so connecting 2 receivers to help with power will only help if the second receiver puts out more power then the one already connected.
I have not had a chance to test this yet tho.........

WillDekkard
08-27-2010, 06:13 AM
Which SV receiver do you have? The SV360E should have enough power for your power problem as long as both tuners are connected. Otherwise a DP34 or DPP44 switch may be needed with the power inserter.

I can't speak for the CNX, but the SV receivers are "touchy" if you do not have your dish system grounded(dish(es),switch(es), & cables). This could explain your missing channels if you do not have your dish system grounded.