PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a rusty Dish?

SpaceCowboy
08-27-2010, 11:51 PM
I have an old Dish500, it is old and rusty..I wonder if it is possible to sand the Dish and spray with a protective coat?? Gray color paint may be??

Any help is appreciated...

PS: It is still transmitting signals very well, I get clear picture..so far!

JCO
08-28-2010, 12:09 AM
Yes a good sanding and a coat of matt paint will do wonders.. Make shure you dont change the curvature of the dish or get agresive with a grinder...
A light sanding by hand is best.. Or a sandblast..:thumbsup:

torpainter
08-28-2010, 12:29 AM
Yes a good sanding and a coat of matt paint will do wonders.. Make shure you dont change the curvature of the dish or get agresive with a grinder...
A light sanding by hand is best.. Or a sandblast..:thumbsup:

a sandblast? I cut through steel with ours...lol

JCO
08-28-2010, 12:46 AM
a sandblast? I cut through steel with ours...lol

OOoops.. Forgot to mention minor and at low pressure.. But with what dishes go for these days why not just replace it..:tehe::thumbsup:
My pressure washer could probably take the rust off a dish at close range...ROFLMAO

dishuser
08-28-2010, 01:06 AM
OOoops.. Forgot to mention minor and at low pressure.. But with what dishes go for these days why not just replace it..:tehe::thumbsup:
My pressure washer could probably take the rust off a dish at close range...ROFLMAO

my pressure washer at close range can cut concrete:grr:

rickw
08-28-2010, 01:14 AM
A light sanding with 180 grit alumide sandpaper to give the new paint a surface it can adhere to is all that is necessary..And as JCO suggested, use a matt finish..grey is usually best..Grey primer will work fine...:)

ftaaddictor
08-28-2010, 01:56 AM
First sand it with the higher grid the better. Second put a primer coat then sand it again until you get a very smooth surface. final paint it with a black color and put s pirate (skull) sticker on it). It will be very coolest dish in your neighborhood.

WillDekkard
08-28-2010, 06:21 AM
my pressure washer at close range can cut concrete:grr:

Pressure Washer. So that is how you dispose of the bodies, Chucky. . . . . . .

Remember a matte paint and stay away from gloss, metallic, or light reflective colours as they can damage the LNB(s). That is why flat grey paint is the color of choice for most dishes. Flat camouflage colors can be used successfully in wooded areas.

Terryl
08-28-2010, 06:28 AM
Flat gray Rust-Oleum for rusty metal will work fine, good sanding first.

swanone
08-28-2010, 01:45 PM
dont worry about using flat paint . i have a hand painted river scene with a cabin and plenty of tree on my dish . i used a high gloss clear coat and put it thick ! Had this dish for yrs and have re-sprayed the clear on it a few times .

Costactc
08-28-2010, 03:35 PM
Flat paint is generally recomended over gloss as to avoid frying your lnb from the reflection of the sun.

SpaceCowboy
08-29-2010, 02:37 AM
I thank you all Ladies and Gents, I think I will go along with FTAADDICTOR'S Version; Black Paint and a Pirate Skull, it is a great idea, I like it very much.

Thanks again FTAADDICTOR!

swanone
08-29-2010, 01:43 PM
I thank you all Ladies and Gents, I think I will go along with FTAADDICTOR'S Version; Black Paint and a Pirate Skull, it is a great idea, I like it very much.

Thanks again FTAADDICTOR!

keep in mind thats a dead give away to what you may be doing

SpaceCowboy
08-29-2010, 07:12 PM
SWANONE:

You know , you are right, I really didn't think about it! Very often Charlie's Trucks come to my street to serve their customers. Thanks for the ADVISE.
Although the IDEA of having the PRITE SCULL on top of my garage was magneficent, I will have to go along with dull grey paint...

What a shame....:innocent:

jvvh5897
08-29-2010, 08:20 PM
Just make the skull small--a few inches across should satisfy you and require installers to go to extremes to see it.

WillDekkard
08-30-2010, 05:23 AM
Just make the skull small--a few inches across should satisfy you and require installers to go to extremes to see it.

The greatest trick that the Devil pulled on mankind is the one in which he made them think he never existed.:yes: