PDA

View Full Version : Pavin picks Tiger Woods, three others to fill Ryder Cup team!

KIDWCKED
09-07-2010, 09:27 PM
c/p from foxsports by the a/p
NEW YORK (AP)
Tiger Woods is going to the Ryder Cup as a captain's pick with his 71 victories and 14 majors. So is 21-year-old Rickie Fowler, who has never won anything at all.

Corey Pavin made an obvious choice and a surprising one Tuesday morning at the New York Stock Exchange when he added Woods and Fowler, along with former major champions Zach Johnson and Stewart Cink, to an American team that will try to retain the cup.

FOX SPORTS POLL
Will Tiger help this Ryder Cup team win? Yes, he'll get it together No, his game needs work
The Ryder Cup is Oct. 1-3 at the Celtic Manor in Wales. The United States won two years ago at Valhalla, and will try to win for the first time overseas since 1993 at The Belfry.

This will be the sixth Ryder Cup team for Woods, but the first in which he needed to be picked. Woods had finished first in the standings every time, including in 2008 when he spent the second half of the year recovering from knee surgery.

''It's great to be a part of this team,'' Woods said. ''I'm honored to be selected ... and looking forward to going back and having a great time with the team and hopefully, bring the Cup back.''

The eight Americans who qualified after the PGA Championship were Phil Mickelson, Hunter Mahan, Steve Stricker, Jim Furyk, Matt Kuchar, Bubba Watson, Dustin Johnson and Jeff Overton.

European captain Colin Montgomerie said Pavin used his four picks ''to good effect.''

''Like my European team, the American side has an excellent blend of youthful talent alongside some seasoned Ryder Cup campaigners, and I am delighted to see Tiger Woods amongst Corey's selections,'' he said. ''The Ryder Cup is a better event with him in it.''