PDA

View Full Version : Viewsat ultra & Globecast 19(97W) - I need help

absolom
09-09-2010, 03:38 PM
Hi guys,

I need some help to setup my Viewsat Ultra receiver to get Globecast 19 (97W) channels.
I managed to point and lock the dish on that bird (Signal 75%, Quality ~50%) and when I do a blind scan (takes around 7-8 minutes to do that) I get around 450 channels. Then I save that and exit the Menu to go back to the main screen to see the programs. But when I do that my receiver looses the Globecast 19 settings (and all the channels) and it shows me the Dish Network channels. The receiver was used on Dish Network 2 years ago. Of course I'm unable to see any image/picture, just the name of the DN channels.
I have tried to do a full reset on the receiver, put back the antenna settings and do another Blind Scan but same problem, as soon as the STB will finish scanning and I save&Exit, it goes back to DN settings (110W).
I think, it might be a problem with the file that I have in the receiver (PGM file). I uploaded a file found on the internet (on that website it says that it's the factory file).
Any idea on how to fix this ?
Thank you !

StanW
09-09-2010, 04:50 PM
Please describe your setup in more detail - what kind of lnb are you using ? dish size ? what is the current factory and sat file loaded ?

absolom
09-09-2010, 06:06 PM
I have:

KU LNB model BSCH83P31,
Dish size is 32" (76cm)
Viewsat Ultra VS2000
File loaded: Viewsat_ultra_v0146.PGM

StanW
09-09-2010, 07:01 PM
I have:

KU LNB model BSCH83P31,
Dish size is 32" (76cm)
Viewsat Ultra VS2000
File loaded: Viewsat_ultra_v0146.PGM
That's an old lnb... You have done a factory default and it's still showing dn channels ?
How do you know you are locked onto 97 ? does the name of the sat appear in the blue box on top of the screen in antenna settings ? Are you using a switch ?

Perform several factory defaults in a row , reload the latest sat file found here :VS Ultra sat file U00D (http://www.satfix.net/showthread.php?t=970)

32" ia a bit on the small side for that satellite , 36" or larger is recommended .

Blind scan again.

absolom
09-09-2010, 07:26 PM
===> Yes, the name of the sat appear in the blue box on top of the screen in antenna settings. And also when I do a blind scan the receiver finds all channels which are available on that satellite (Galaxy 19 - 97W).
===> I'm not using a switch.
===> I will try what you told me (do several factory defaults in a row and load the file from your posting)

I will let you know if it's working or not.
Thanks!

Costactc
09-09-2010, 07:38 PM
Hi guys,

I need some help to setup my Viewsat Ultra receiver to get Globecast 19 (97W) channels.
I managed to point and lock the dish on that bird (Signal 75%, Quality ~50%) and when I do a blind scan (takes around 7-8 minutes to do that) I get around 450 channels. Then I save that and exit the Menu to go back to the main screen to see the programs. But when I do that my receiver looses the Globecast 19 settings (and all the channels) and it shows me the Dish Network channels. The receiver was used on Dish Network 2 years ago. Of course I'm unable to see any image/picture, just the name of the DN channels.
I have tried to do a full reset on the receiver, put back the antenna settings and do another Blind Scan but same problem, as soon as the STB will finish scanning and I save&Exit, it goes back to DN settings (110W).
I think, it might be a problem with the file that I have in the receiver (PGM file). I uploaded a file found on the internet (on that website it says that it's the factory file).
Any idea on how to fix this ?
Thank you !

You mention that 450 channels are scanning in, are you sure about that? The most I've ever scanned in on G19 is in the neighbourhood of 250. Also, which particular gc channels are you looking for, they are scattered over several tp on this sat.

absolom
09-09-2010, 08:15 PM
You mention that 450 channels are scanning in, are you sure about that? The most I've ever scanned in on G19 is in the neighbourhood of 250. Also, which particular gc channels are you looking for, they are scattered over several tp on this sat.

I will post the exact number of channels tonight, when I will repeat the scan. I might be wrong by counting both, TV and radio channels.
Anyway maybe one third of the channels are encrypted (Nagra3 or other) and I won't be able to see any picture/image on them.
I'm interested mostly on english/french/spanish and romanian channels, on this sat.

Costactc
09-09-2010, 08:19 PM
Actually I scan that sat often, I never include the radio channels. Of the 250 that scan in almost 200 are in the clear.

satchick
09-09-2010, 09:53 PM
You can also set it to scan free channels only, so the encrypted ones won't show up in your list.

absolom
09-09-2010, 09:59 PM
You can also set it to scan free channels only, so the encrypted ones won't show up in your list.

How can i do that on my viewsat ultra ?

darthvader911
09-09-2010, 10:10 PM
same thing happen to me by doing a blind scan on the vs it will double up the channels thats why you get over 400 cnannels:noidea::noidea:

secheltpaul
09-10-2010, 03:07 AM
How can i do that on my viewsat ultra ?

If you’re only after true FTA do a factory reset. There is no file you need to load for TRUE FTA. Globe cast channels on 97west are infomercials.

To scan only FTA channels on your viesat go to main menu page then go to the auto scan page. Go to search option then with the remote scroll the page there are 3 options
Scan all scan scrambled only or scan FTA only set on FTA and scan.
A blind scan is best.
……………………………………………………………………………………………..
Although people use universal lineal L N B F ‘s with success I personally like using a STANDARD lineal L N B F. I find them easer to set up also universal are not necessary in North America.

Bigger the dish the better. I use a 36-inch dish with a motor and have a few stationary dishes also. Have had great luck using old star choice dishes. Mostly the 30x33inch round type also 18x36 star choice elliptical the duel L N B F ones from star choice.

Make sure mast dish is on is perfectly plumb. Important.

I take a small TV and my receiver right out to the dish but what ever works for you.
You could have some one watch the screen as you adjust. No TV’s or receivers in the rain.

Point the dish to where you think satellite is. I use a compass I got at Canadian tire to point me in the right direction in the sky. Then adjust elevation (up/down) degs. The scales on the dish are never right but it gives you some were to start from for now.
Now move the dish left to right really slowly a 1/16 at a time stop then a 1/16 and stop give it a second, and so on or right to left what ever works for you watch you meter closely, go back and forth up and down SLOWLY working a grid pattern and you will find it. I have tuned in dozens of satellites using this method. Use small tiny adjustments or you will miss it. DON”T STAND IN FRONT OF THE DISH when adjusting it like I did once.

Once you get a signal go back and forth up/down till you get the best possible signal. Then you need to adjust the L N B skew this is done buy turning the L N B right or left.
I adjust my L N B buy turning it slowly on way till signal drops off then the other way till signal drops off and set it in the middle or the strongest signal.
Once you have done all this and nuts, bolts and screws are snugged up you would exit the antenna setup page say yes to save the settings. Next go to main menu then installation then Blind scan and do a blind scan for this satellite. It will scan all the tp’s on this satellite.
On my viewsat receiver in the antenna setup page I would set my L N B to standard because I use a standard linear L N B
L n b freq to10750
Lnb power on
22 khz0ff
Tp freq to a strong tp on the sat your trying for to tune in on
Diseqc off
Motor off
Legacy sw none
You will get something. This is a much weaker signal then bell or dishnet and living in Canada we are on the fringe as most of these satellites are amid at the states.
Check this site out.xxxsatfinder.com
………………………………………………………………………………………………
THIS will be the same on our receiver

. How I add satellites to my viewsat extreme 2000 receiver

To add a satellite to a viewsat receiver first go to main menu by clicking menu button on remote then go to channel scan. Press the arrow key down two times until the edit tp icon near bottom lights up, next scroll sideways along the icons until you get to add a sat third icon, press ok and it will add a satellite called user sat. Next scroll over to the rename icon the fourth icon press ok and a keyboard will pop up. Us you arrow keys on remote to move to the numbers and letters you want to use. . When the number or letter you would like to add is highlighted in yellow press ok on remote to add letter or number and so on until the satellite name you want to add is in rename space on keypad then press the green f2 button on your receiver to save it. It will be added to your satellite lineup. If you ad a wrong number or letter press red f1 button to delete it. So next you would add the tp numbers for that satellite and exit out saving as you go.

If you are unsure of what you have done just say no to saving it on the way out and nothing will change.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How I add a transponder numbers (tp’s) to my viewsat extreme 2000 receiver

On my viewsat extreme to add a t.p. or edit one I go to the main setup menu /installation then channel scan. Once in channel scan make sure you have the right satellite to edit or add tp to. Press the down arrow on the remote two times until the edit tp icon at bottom lights up next press ok on your remote this will take you into the box showing all the t.p’s and highlights the first one. So now you can scroll up or down with remote arrow keys to the t.p. you want to edit. Use the green f2 button on the remote to edit, and the remote number pad to add the T.P. numbers. Or use the red f1 button on remote and add a new t.p. use the arrow keys on remote to move sideways along the list of numbers. Use remote arrow keys to change the polarity and the fec. Press the exit key and say yes to save.

If your unsure or don’t like what you set, just don’t save it on the why out.

On my viewsat 2000 extreme you install PID numbers buy going to main menu
, installation, channel scan, press arrow down 2 times to go to edit tp icon at bottom press ok this takes you in to the box of tp’s. Next arrow down to the tp you want (from the list) and then press f4 enter the video pid, audio pid and pcr pid and press ok, Exit to the main screen making sure you say yes to save changes. Repeat procedure for each channel.
The channel will show as user Channel 1 and so on etc. You can edit this in channel edit
And call it what you like.
Good luck

Costactc
09-10-2010, 07:45 PM
The dowside to scanning only unencrypted channels is that many channels are open on that sat even with the encryption symbol. I prefer to scan all and delete the closed channels.

secheltpaul
09-11-2010, 04:19 AM
The dowside to scanning only unencrypted channels is that many channels are open on that sat even with the encryption symbol. I prefer to scan all and delete the closed channels.

That’s a really good point Costa