PDA

View Full Version : heat pump?

laprz1
10-02-2010, 03:59 PM
what do i need to install a heat pump myself? we have an oil furnace that i want to replace. any help would be great.

wildman25
10-02-2010, 05:25 PM
Well, there are self contained and separate ones (that use the a coil) so it would depend on what you have. A little more info will allow someone to help.
But, I'm not an installation expert, I notice you say that you're replacing a oil furnace with it- that may be a mistake. A heat pump works relatively well when it's moderate outside- but as soon as the temperature drops it stops working. It's just an air conditioner running backwards and then the cold side gets too cold heat isn't produced on the other. Just something to think about

laprz1
10-03-2010, 08:27 PM
we are fairly mild here for the most part but can rely on electric heat for boost. looking at a coil system

madhouse
10-07-2010, 06:59 AM
The new 410 inverter HP can work down into the teens! <br />
If your very handy installation is not too hard. I take it you have all the duct work in place so you just need an air handler, HP and coil. If...

badboyz4life
10-07-2010, 08:39 AM
if it's fairly mild yr round were your at you DO NOT need a heat pump.They cost 4x to work on and the part's are 4x higher.take my word on this b/c i grew up in the south and my step father who raised me owned a a/c company.if you were up north then i would say get one.they want to sell them to you down here so they can make there $
we are fairly mild here for the most part but can rely on electric heat for boost. looking at a coil system

Gold
10-15-2010, 12:16 PM
There is a lot into heating and cooling, my cousin does that. It sure can be done by a novice, but I would not recommend it.

I have a heat pump my self, which is about 7 years old. I am going to change it in a couple years for a 3 stage very efficient model.

When the temps get down to around the teens like someone mentioned it just blows cold air until my furnace kicks in.

Wood does much better for me. My new shop is going to have radiant heating, which I ran some pipes to my house for a wood boiler