PDA

View Full Version : Quebec City rally clamouring for NHL team return.

KIDWCKED
10-02-2010, 11:01 PM
c/p from the sportsnet by.
THE CANADIAN PRESS

QUEBEC -- Tens of thousands of people turned Quebec City into a sea of Nordiques blue on Saturday in a lovefest that was part nostalgia, part fervent hope.

They assembled on the Plains of Abraham and clamoured for the return of their beloved Nordiques, 15 years after the National Hockey League team left town because of financial woes and became the Colorado Avalanche.

But the rally wasn't just purely about hockey, even though giant screens showed many on-ice highlights from the team's 16 seasons in the NHL.

The possible return of the NHL to Quebec City has spilled over into the political arena and that was reflected by some of those in attendance. They included Bloc Quebecois Leader Gilles Duceppe, Parti Quebecois Leader Pauline Marois and various Conservative MPs from Quebec.

Liberal MP Denis Coderre stood out as he wore the red jersey of the Montreal Canadiens -- the Nordiques' bitter enemies who waged many a bloody battle with their provincial rivals over the years.

Peter Stastny, one of the team's most popular players, said he believes the Nordiques redux would be a roaring success.

"This is a paradise for hockey," said the Slovak, who was accompanied at the event by his brothers Anton and Marian, both of whom also played for the team.

"I spent 10 years here. I know what people are capable of here. They deserve an NHL team.

"They're proud. They have character. They're the best. Once the team is here, I have no doubt it will work out."

Others to receive rapturous applause included former coach Michel (Le tigre) Bergeron, who was introduced to the crowd as "Eye of the Tiger" belted out of the sound system.

"The images that will be sent all across Canada, all across America, are the living proof that the Nordiques are back," he told the cheering throng.

"We always loved the way you supported us and respected us."

Quebec City Mayor Regis Labeaume, one of the driving forces behind the push for the Nordiques' return, was thrilled with the size of Saturday's turnout, which he estimated at more than 50,000.

"People are happy, there's emotion in the air," Labeaume said.

"There's nostalgia. There's a mixture of all kinds of sentiments. There's hope. I can feel that."

Costactc
10-02-2010, 11:07 PM
If the government would intervene and help build a new arena Quebec City could support an NHL team. Just think of the rivalry it would create with Montreal. Let's hope the government actually does something this time and not like with the Expos, who are long gone.

JCO
10-02-2010, 11:22 PM
Costactc, Charest has promised 175 million and now wants the federal level to kick also. Personally if MArcel Aubut wants the franchise back and its a profitable endeavour let him build it and pay for it, I'm taxed enough as it is and dont want to pay for a sports arena..:thumbsup:

KIDWCKED
10-02-2010, 11:56 PM
Costactc, Charest has promised 175 million and now wants the federal level to kick also. Personally if MArcel Aubut wants the franchise back and its a profitable endeavour let him build it and pay for it, I'm taxed enough as it is and dont want to pay for a sports arena..:thumbsup:

If the government gets involved it will be for money..And if a Quebec team fits the bill,it will most likely happen.And your taxes will go up regardless.As usual..:D

JCO
10-03-2010, 12:01 AM
Thats it If The taxpayer foots the bill for the arena we should all get free seasons tickets..If not, I'm going to work under the table and put my money offshore like our ex finance minister Paul Martin..:grr::innocent::tehe::yes::thumbsup:

KIDWCKED
10-03-2010, 12:25 AM
Thats it If The taxpayer foots the bill for the arena we should all get free seasons tickets..If not, I'm going to work under the table and put my money offshore like our ex finance minister Paul Martin..:grr::innocent::tehe::yes::thumbsup:

Cash is king bro..Ecspecially since the intro of the HST..I would personally luv to see a another Quebec franchise.Hopefully not at your expence thou..Salut!:thumbsup:

JCO
10-03-2010, 12:26 AM
Cash is king bro..Ecspecially since the intro of the HST..I would personally luv to see a another Quebec franchise.Hopefully not at your expence thou..Salut!:thumbsup:

Send Marcel Aubut a cheque then...LOL

Is Colorados franchise for sale?? :thumbsup::tehe:

KIDWCKED
10-03-2010, 12:35 AM
Send Marcel Aubut a cheque then...LOL

Is Colorados franchise for sale?? :thumbsup::tehe:

Are you refering to the Colarado Nordiques??:D

Night Prowler
10-03-2010, 12:40 AM
just be lucky you get Hockey OTA......:)