PDA

View Full Version : Dish 1000.2 DPP LNB issue

Connor5906
10-11-2010, 10:12 PM
Ok, so here is the deal: I am trying to get a Dish 1000.2 with the factory original DPP LNB to work with the I-Link 9500HD.

Currently the I-Link is hooked up to a SuperDish 1000 with a DP-33 (DPP) switch and has another dish it is getting HD from.

When I try to hook the I-Link to the 1000.2 it is only able to activate 119 and not 110 or 129 either without the switch or with it. I find it hard to believe the 1000.2 LNB is not functional, but so far I cannot get it to switch to 110 or 129.

What the heck am I missing here?

Terryl
10-11-2010, 10:23 PM
The Dish 1000 LNB is a power hog, your receiver may not be able to power it, it needs 650 mA of DC current to drive it,(your receiver only puts out 500 mA) the DPP34 switch is not an externaly powered switch, it wont drive the LNB, you need a powered switch like the DPP44.

Connor5906
10-11-2010, 10:45 PM
The I-Link/Dish 1000.2 seems to work fine w/o a switch for other peeps.

I have tried to wire directly to the 110 but the box will not see that sat.

I have just read where the DP33 is not compatible with the 1000.2 LBNF and that I should be looking for the DP44 + power inserter. I was hoping to not have to go that route. The voltage on the I-Link is adjustable, but I am not sure what the amps are on output!

I am wondering if the LNB may be a dead player. I do not know it's history, but it was in a wet area.

Terryl
10-11-2010, 10:59 PM
Wet shouldnt have hurt the LNB. (unless it was under 6 feet of water for a long time)

But if your going to use the DPP power inserter to power this LNB you have to run it to LNB por1 by its self, you cant hook an FTA receiver to the receiver input on the power inserter, it wont work.

So you have to run a seperate coax from the power inserter to the LNB port #1 and then receiver(s) can be run on ports #2 and 3.

You can look on the back of the receiver where the LNB coax attaches, it should be marked.

Connor5906
10-11-2010, 11:13 PM
The water issue is possible: it was in a flood plane and I don't remember if the river flooded [it may have]!

So you are saying that the power inserter gets hooked into the reciever port #1 of the DP44 (where the FTA box would normally hook up)?

Then the FTA would hook up to port #2? The power inserter then is not doing the switching; just the additional power?

Mavrick
10-11-2010, 11:38 PM
You would have your choice.....you could hook the power inserter into port #1 of the switch (which leaves 3 ports open for receivers), or if you don't need the switch just hook the power inserter into port #1 of the LNB (but that will only leave 2 ports open for receivers).
You can also hookup a sub-receiver to either the switch or the LNB for power if you have one kicking around.

Mavrick
10-11-2010, 11:44 PM
The I-Link/Dish 1000.2 seems to work fine w/o a switch for other peeps.

I have tried to wire directly to the 110 but the box will not see that sat.

I have just read where the DP33 is not compatible with the 1000.2 LBNF and that I should be looking for the DP44 + power inserter. I was hoping to not have to go that route. The voltage on the I-Link is adjustable, but I am not sure what the amps are on output!

I am wondering if the LNB may be a dead player. I do not know it's history, but it was in a wet area.

You can't wire the receiver direct to 110, that 1000.2 LNB has a built-in switch, so 1 cable from the LNB to the receiver and the receiver settings need to be....

119 - Disecq1
110 - Disecq2
129 - Disecq3

Only when using a DP switch will it turn off the internal switch inside the LNB.

Connor5906
10-11-2010, 11:56 PM
You would have your choice.....you could hook the power inserter into port #1 of the switch (which leaves 3 ports open for receivers), or if you don't need the switch just hook the power inserter into port #1 of the LNB (but that will only leave 2 ports open for receivers).
You can also hookup a sub-receiver to either the switch or the LNB for power if you have one kicking around.

Sorry if I [appear] dense, but you are saying that I can hook the power inserter into port #1 of the LNB and then the I-Link into port #2. The power inserter will provide the amps and the I-link will do the switching?

I missed your new attachments

I thought the ports on the LNB were for the different sats, but you are saying that they just allow multiple recivers?

Mavrick
10-12-2010, 12:22 AM
Sorry if I [appear] dense, but you are saying that I can hook the power inserter into port #1 of the LNB and then the I-Link into port #2. The power inserter will provide the amps and the I-link will do the switching?

Yes, the A/C into port #1 of the LNB (or port #1 of a switch if you want to use one), once you add the separate A/C then all the receiver will do is receive/switch.

I thought the ports on the LNB were for the different sats, but you are saying that they just allow multiple recivers?

Yes, that LNB has a built-in switch, so each port can be connected to a receiver (use diseqc settings I gave you above on each receiver). If you add a DP switch then the internal switch inside the LNB gets turned off, then each port will represent a different sat.

Terryl
10-12-2010, 12:23 AM
This may help.

http://www.satfix.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=6026&stc=1&d=1286842952

Connor5906
10-12-2010, 12:53 AM
Mav, Thanks so much! I am down with the Diseqc settings + all the rest. Just a little confused with all the different Dish combos. Still wondering why some peeps are able to run w/o additional power to the LNB, but that is just the way it is I guess.

I was hoping to get around having to enlarge the hole running the coax cable to the dish to make room for another cable, but so be it! Final question would be: can I use an old 301 box as in "plan C"?

Thanks again Mav and Terryl!

Mavrick
10-12-2010, 01:07 AM
Mav, Thanks so much! I am down with the Diseqc settings + all the rest. Just a little confused with all the different Dish combos. Still wondering why some peeps are able to run w/o additional power to the LNB, but that is just the way it is I guess.

Well, there are a couple reasons that would be a factor.....age of the LNB.......length of the cable run........type of cable being used.....ect.
Have you tried connecting just your receiver to the LNB and using the diseqc-settings I gave you in post 7?

I was hoping to get around having to enlarge the hole running the coax cable to the dish to make room for another cable, but so be it! Final question would be: can I use an old 301 box as in "plan C"?
Thanks again Mav and Terryl!

Yes, a sub receiver should power that LNB just fine, connect it to port #1 of the LNB and keep it turned on all the time. That will leave you 2 open ports on the LNB for receivers.

Terryl
10-12-2010, 01:20 AM
Some receivers can put out more then the 650 mA needed to run this LNB, and some peeps are having problems with this LNB just like you are, others will find out that their receivers power supply has popped a few caps (or will pop a few) due to running an excessive DC current load on them for a long time.

Mavrick has a very good point as to the coax used, cheap coax has a steel center conductor that is copper plated, this causes a voltage drop at the LNB and the LNB could shut down.

You should always use good RG-6 quad with a pure copper center conductor (use a small magnet of the center conductor, if it sticks you have the cheap coax) for satellite work, it saves headaches in the future.

Connor5906
10-12-2010, 01:52 AM
Okay, I'm convinced and will get out the Dumore tomorrow for a little "hole" mod! I've been using this box since it was first offered and so I do not want to stress it any more than I have too.

I have several ex-sub boxes: the cable run is only 15' and the cable is Verizon's "best". All stuffed in a special closet and prolly still have a Casper card in them.

Thanks again for all the good advice and patience! :yeaah:

memzinla
03-07-2011, 06:33 AM
Did you get it fixed? I'm having the same problem. It's so weird though because before I had a wire going from port 1 to the power inserter, and then a different wire from the power inserter to the receiver. I was able to pick up all 3 birds but then I took the receiver to my dad's house and it didn't work over there and then I brought it back and the internal switch on the LNB stopped working. All I could pick up now are the channels from 119. Even if I choose 110 or 129 it only picks up 119.