PDA

View Full Version : Washington Wizards fined guard Gilbert Arenas $50,000 for faking injury

KIDWCKED
10-16-2010, 07:07 PM
c/p from foxsports by the a/p
Updated Oct 15, 2010 11:59 PM ET
The Washington Wizards fined guard Gilbert Arenas $50,000 for faking an injury that kept him out of Tuesday night's preseason game, NBA.com reported Friday.

Arenas said that he complained of knee soreness so teammate Nick Young could start in his place in the preseason home opener. Young, who had been struggling, scored 24 points in the win over Atlanta.

"I know he's kind of frustrated he's not getting a chance to crack the three position, especially since we're going three guards, so I told him I'd go ahead and fake an injury or say something's wrong with me so you can start," a smiling Arenas said after the game.

The fine was reported Wednesday, but the amount had not been previously disclosed.

Arenas did not start in Thursday night's game against Milwaukee, but ironically, he injured his groin after about three minutes of action in the first quarter.

The saga is the latest twist in the 28-year-old's strange career, which has been marked in recent years by injuries and erratic off-the-court behavior.

Last season, Arenas was suspended for the final three months for carrying a loaded gun in the locker room. He served about a month in a Washington, D.C., halfway house after pleading guilty to carrying an unlicensed firearm.

Arenas was an All-Star from 2005 to 2007, but has played in just 47 games for the Wizards over the past three seasons.