PDA

View Full Version : Some pictures of tile work that I am doing

Bigpineguy Retired
10-22-2010, 10:53 PM
As some of you may know, I am a flooring installer by trade. We are currently working on putting tile in some New apartment buildings. And thought that I would share some of the pictures of what it looks like...
If you have any questions about any flooring projects that you would like to do yourself, feel free to post a question, and I would be happy to try and help...

In these pictures, I can walk you through putting a nice pattern in your tile for a foyer/entrance way, or wherever you would like to have this design.
First, measure from one wall to the other side and determine a middle point, and make a mark with a pencil, now,go to the same wall and make another mark with the same measurement at another point. do the same in the other direction and make marks there as well. Take a chalk line and snap both lines as in the pictures.
Take one tile , and center it with both points touching the lines as in the pictures , follow the pictures til you have all but the cut tiles in place, I use 1/4 spacers for this job to separate the tiles . now either using a dry slide cutter or wet saw ( I used a dry cutter, and it works fine ) cut a tile in half from point to point to make the outside edges , repeat until you have all the edges filled in. Now, for continuing on, determine what size border you want around the pattern, I used 7 1/4 inches ( using 13'' tile ) for the outside and 5'' for the top and bottom ( which works out to my center point from top to bottom of pattern ), So, I cut 2 pieces at 5'' and placed them with grout line falling at the point at the top ( see pic ) of pattern, remember to use the spacers to gap the 1/4'' away from the pattern tile or add 1/4 '' for the grout line. Using the spacers is much easier for a novice, I think. Now, Lay a tile over the corner with one side up against the side of the 5'' tile , make a mark at the same point where your 5'' cut tile falls ( with the 1/4 gap for grout against pattern) and make another mark where the bottom corner touches the pattern tile ( this side will move 1/4 '' when you slide that piece over and should leave you with exactly 1/4'' on both sides. ( see pics. )
BPG~

Bigpineguy Retired
10-22-2010, 11:01 PM
Once you have the corners done on the first top Two sides, measure how big the corner piece is on the side as that is what you need to cut the rest of the side pieces to so that it matches all the way down the sides, repeat this process til you have all the pieces for each side, and then repeat the process for the other corners , Now, you have made yourself a nice pattern!

Now, Simply go off of the tiles on the side like you would for a straight lay pattern , matching up the grout lines with those on the border tiles .

Bigpineguy Retired
10-22-2010, 11:04 PM
Same pattern , but in a different unit with a bigger foyer, shows that this can be used in many areas and still look very nice...

The only thing that I haven't done yet is to grout the tile joints.

Hope that this can help others, can't think of anything else at this time , but feel free to ask any questions, and I will try to help ...

BPG~

swanone
10-22-2010, 11:56 PM
very nice work ! i myself have laid tile for just myself. i did 1400 sq ft of 12 x 12 porcelain tile though out my home all on a 45 . capped the walls off with a 4" tile base board and the family room dropped down 5 inches so i followed the 45 down the step and up the step in the north side of the room. did all the bedrooms with marble thresholds and continued the pattern

http://www.satfix.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=6344&stc=1&d=1287791499
http://www.satfix.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=6345&stc=1&d=1287791499
http://www.satfix.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=6346&stc=1&d=1287791499
http://www.satfix.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=6347&stc=1&d=1287791499

Bigpineguy Retired
10-22-2010, 11:58 PM
Very nice work! I like how you continued the pattern down the step...

BPG~

swanone
10-23-2010, 12:05 AM
thanks , as you know how much work it is . one of the mistakes i made was using a light gray grout

Bigpineguy Retired
10-23-2010, 12:11 AM
light colored grout isn't that bad, just make sure that you use a good water based sealer on it... also, there are some good "acid" based cleaners that can be used with a buffer and you can clean it...

doggy10
10-23-2010, 12:14 AM
nicely done swan. i agree, haveint the pattern continue on the step was a nice touch and done really well:)

JCO
10-23-2010, 12:15 AM
I just redid some tiles in the kitchen a year ago and went for a darker color grout, it eventualy goes to a darker shade so this way it gets a uniform start.. You can always grind out the old grout with a dremel or a hand tool.. Long , tedious but you never go to a light color grout after that exercise...ROFLMAO
Those matching cuts on the steps were definitely done before the beer drinking started...
Now I know who to call when I do more tile worlk.. Just for the fancy cuts though..

Bigpineguy Retired
10-23-2010, 12:18 AM
Maybe in a day or so, I should write a howto on professional cleaning of tile and grout...

BPG~