PDA

View Full Version : Adams apologizes for obscene gesture

chrism
11-16-2009, 06:10 PM
NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Titans owner Bud Adams apologized Monday for making an obscene gesture to Buffalo fans while celebrating Tennessee's victory over the Bills.

WTVF-TV reported Adams extended two middle fingers while in his luxury suite. The Tennessean newspaper reported Adams also was seen making the gesture again on the field after Sunday's game.

The NFL said Monday the league was looking into the reports, and the 86-year-old Adams issued an apology a couple hours later apologizing for getting caught up in the excitement after the 41-17 victory.

"I do realize that those types of things shouldn't happen," Adams said in a statement. "I need to specifically apologize to the Bills, their fans, our fans and the NFL. I obviously have a great deal of respect for Ralph Wilson and the history we have shared. I also understand there will probably be league discipline for my actions and I will accept those."

Adams and Wilson are original owners from the American Football League, and Sunday's game was a legacy game with both teams wearing throwback uniforms. Wilson was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame this year, and their teams share a history of emotional playoff games,including the Music City Miracle in January 2000.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell was at the game Sunday after having breakfast with Adams. The league said Monday that Goodell left Adams' suite at the end of the third quarter and spent the fourth quarter sitting with fans in the end zone before leaving the stadium.

Players have been fined for the NFL for making such a gesture. San Francisco kicker Joe Nedney was fined $7,500 in October 2007, and Michael Vick was fined $10,000 and donated $10,000 to charity in 2006 while playing in Atlanta.