PDA

View Full Version : power winder

power winder
11-09-2010, 09:14 PM
hi guys i am new to this, so please be patient, i have 2 pizza dishes with dual lnbs, my switch is an emp centauri 5/4, mounted inside and i have ran cables from the dishes underground,its total lenth is just under a hundred feet, this system worked for a couple of years until the great sat change, i have purchased a w/f, had my reciever programmed and it works in 2 peoples homes, but not mine, any suggestions?, i was told to do away with the emp and use disceq swiches instead, i dont want to do this because i want to use 4 recievers not 2 ,
help

zoogor
11-09-2010, 09:27 PM
well, first thing is to make sure your settings are correct. then, if you have 0 sig then there is a problem between the dish and the receiver(s). if its just a quality issue then the dish(s)
arnt properly aligned. emp is the best switch out there (IMO) but anything can happen.

Terryl
11-09-2010, 10:58 PM
You ran 4 coaxes 100 feet from an inside mounted switch?
What type of coax did you use?

RG-6 with a copper coated steel center conductor?

RG-6 quad with the same type of center conductor?

Or the good stuff, RG-6 quad with a pure copper center conductor?

If it’s the cheap stuff then you could have a voltage drop problem with the copper plated steel conductor, the new receiver may be having a problem trying to run all the LNB’s and the switch at the same time due to the voltage drop, is there a setting on the receiver to boost the LNB voltage? On my Coolsat 8000 I can compensate for the voltage drop by setting the power to 15/19 volts DC to the LNB.

Also you mentioned that you ran the coax underground, did you run it inside of conduit?
If so what type of conduit did you use, PVC or EMT?

WillDekkard
11-10-2010, 05:59 AM
hi guys i am new to this, so please be patient, i have 2 pizza dishes with dual lnbs, my switch is an emp centauri 5/4, mounted inside and i have ran cables from the dishes underground,its total lenth is just under a hundred feet, this system worked for a couple of years until the great sat change, i have purchased a w/f, had my reciever programmed and it works in 2 peoples homes, but not mine, any suggestions?, i was told to do away with the emp and use disceq swiches instead, i dont want to do this because i want to use 4 recievers not 2 ,
help

Is the emp centauri 5/4 switch powered? Model# of the switch? When you say the switch is mounted "inside", does that mean inside your home or inside a box? How far is the switch from the receiver(s)? Is the switch grounded?

You stated that it works in 2 other people's homes - what type of switches are they using with your receiver? Have you tried to scan, bypassing the switch, if so, what were the results?

Sometimes posting your receiver settings, others see something you may have overlooked?

Sorry for all the questions - just trying to pin point the problem.

satchick
11-10-2010, 03:56 PM
In the event that you do have to replace the switch, you're already in very good shape by having the four coax cables running inside... Instead of using diseqc switches, upgrading to DishPro switches and LNBs will allow you to use four or more receivers...

I think it could be an issue with your settings. You say you have more than one receiver, check the settings on a working receiver and make sure that they match the settings in the new one.