PDA

View Full Version : Snow Tires !!

trombo
11-20-2010, 03:54 AM
Ok guys , I need some reviews &amp; advice about which is better in any snow condition , Talking about Goodyear Nordic V/S Michelin X Ice 2 . <br />
Forget about the Price , all what I need to know is which is...

mclovin
11-20-2010, 04:01 AM
well if there's a bridge stone dealer around there I would go with Blizzak tires??

trombo
11-20-2010, 04:06 AM
well if there's a bridge stone dealer around there I would go with Blizzak tires??

Costco toll me about the Blizzak , but they doesn't have any in stock and also , its take at least a month to bring it here LOL ....
So , the only one who got are those two that I already mention here ....
got not more choice , peoples goes crazy around here and all the tires are almost gone ...:bawl: .

mclovin
11-20-2010, 04:10 AM
Sorry bud, then I can't help as I know nothing about the Goodyear Nordic or the Michelin X Ice 2 but I do know I'll buy Blizzak again..:D

trombo
11-20-2010, 04:13 AM
Sorry bud, then I can't help as I know nothing about the Goodyear Nordic or the Michelin X Ice 2 but I do know I'll buy Blizzak again..:D

Well , so how they are ?
I can go cross the border tomorrow and see if they having it over there ..
Honestly , never hear about the Blizz ...

mclovin
11-20-2010, 04:20 AM
Well , so how they are ?
I can go cross the border tomorrow and see if they having it over there ..
Honestly , never hear about the Blizz ...

we have them on my wife's VW Jetta and love them,this will be the 4th year for them :thumbsup:

mclovin
11-20-2010, 04:36 AM
http://www.best-price.com/search/landing/query/bridgestone+winter+tires/s/google/altk/Automotive+Tires/koid/5818880076/gkaid/42381101/

Check these out Trombo

trombo
11-20-2010, 04:47 AM
http://www.best-price.com/search/landing/query/bridgestone+winter+tires/s/google/altk/Automotive+Tires/koid/5818880076/gkaid/42381101/

Check these out Trombo

I will check it now , sorry , My Pc crush down for a bit , just log over ...thanks for the info !!. :thumbsup:

Terryl
11-20-2010, 04:48 AM
BF Goodrich all terrains with studs, I have never been stuck or had ice problems with a set of those puppies on my truck.

Use studded snow tires on my car also.

JCO
11-20-2010, 05:03 AM
Well here we go with the abc"s of snow tire choice.
Rule number 1 a softer compund gives better traction.
Rule number 2 mount them on steell rims with a narower width this enables them to dig down and grab the hard surface. A whide tire rides on top of the snow and loses traction.
If you can stud the tires do so if local bylaws allow it.. Makes for a noisier ride but they will get traction on ice.
Blizacs are great tires , soft compound nut they wear out quickly in mild weather and dry roads.
Personal favorites, Bridgestone, Yokahama and Pirelli..
Veen running Pirrelli winter carvings on Vw<s in quebec and have yet to get out of the car to push or use a shovel to dig myself out of a snowbamk..;)

Tire rack has good pricing also..

jazzman
11-20-2010, 05:44 AM
I have an old Lincoln Mark VIII with rear wheel drive and I bought one set of these and got around 40k miles out of them but they got around so good in the snow that I'm on my 2nd set now. Great year around tire...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Assurance+TripleTred

zoogor
11-20-2010, 09:58 AM
if you want to put the money into it, its worth it to get Michelin. i live on a small island and they dont salt the roads here just sand and i can tell ya, with snow on the road all winter michelin is the best. best for traction,ware and smooth ride.
they are a bit pricey but believe me, i've tried them all and michs are the best.

trombo
11-20-2010, 06:50 PM
Ok Guys , I just arrive to home without any Car LOL.
Michelin was sold out from yesterday till today .
I was over Canadian Tire At 5:30 Am ... They open at 8:00 , But they dont accept any appointment , so first come , first serve .
I was the 13 on the line at that time .
So , at the time that they open the door ... was behind me over 80 peoples ...
Now , because they didnt have more tires , I just have to take ( Like it or not ) the Goodyear Nordic.
because they are the only one who fit any of my cars and also , the only one in stock !! .
So , what I will have to do is just replace two cars tires ( Infinity & Sienna ) , the one we use the most , the Land Rover have to wait till Costco bring the Blizzak . . . .
With just a few centimeters of the snow between yesterday and today , street are full of Cars into accident , seems like a Vancouver Peoples still doesn't learn how to drive in snow conditions !! :yeaah: .
Anyways , also ICBC since now on , will be not responsible for any car that is into a car accident if they dont have Snow Tires on it .
They will put pressure over the peoples to get the habit on .
When I drive both of the car to the store , the was having good grip over the snow ( they are All Season Tires and still brand news ) , but I need change because Im going over whistler every weekend since winter season start just yesterday .
Thanks everyone for the recommendation , I will get in the future some Michelin & Blizzak , plus the Goodyear to see which one get good for my requirement .
Have to pick up my cars at afternoon ... since was over loaded with peoples over that store ...man !! , a few flurries and peoples go crazy over Vancouver !! :bump:.

mclovin
11-20-2010, 07:00 PM
Ok Guys , I just arrive to home without any Car LOL.
Michelin was sold out from yesterday till today .
I was over Canadian Tire At 5:30 Am ... They open at 8:00 , But they dont accept any appointment , so first come , first serve .
I was the 13 on the line at that time .
So , at the time that they open the door ... was behind me over 80 peoples ...
Now , because they didnt have more tires , I just have to take ( Like it or not ) the Goodyear Nordic.
because they are the only one who fit any of my cars and also , the only one in stock !! .
So , what I will have to do is just replace two cars tires ( Infinity & Sienna ) , the one we use the most , the Land Rover have to wait till Costco bring the Blizzak . . . .
With just a few centimeters of the snow between yesterday and today , street are full of Cars into accident , seems like a Vancouver Peoples still doesn't learn how to drive in snow conditions !! :yeaah: .
Anyways , also ICBC since now on , will be not responsible for any car that is into a car accident if they dont have Snow Tires on it .
They will put pressure over the peoples to get the habit on .
When I drive both of the car to the store , the was having good grip over the snow ( they are All Season Tires and still brand news ) , but I need change because Im going over whistler every weekend since winter season start just yesterday .
Thanks everyone for the recommendation , I will get in the future some Michelin & Blizzak , plus the Goodyear to see which one get good for my requirement .
Have to pick up my cars at afternoon ... since was over loaded with peoples over that store ...man !! , a few flurries and peoples go crazy over Vancouver !! :bump:.

Trombo I would get a set of rims with the new winter tires so you can change them yourself and save the original rims from taking a beating every year. Will pay off in the end.

trombo
11-20-2010, 08:23 PM
Thinking in do that , but too complicated .
Since those cars comes with VSC Systems , Tire Pressure Monitoring , Automated Inflatable Tire , Automated Balance & Traction Control ...
Man !! , If I screw it up .....:comfort1: .
So , I really prefer to get it done by someone , also , I get the tires & rims included !! :thumbsup: .
Its time to get shiny wheels a good rest till summer time comes !! :yes:

JCO
11-20-2010, 08:26 PM
Thinking in do that , but too complicated .
Since those cars comes with VSC Systems , Tire Pressure Monitoring , Automated Inflatable Tire , Automated Balance & Traction Control ...
Man !! , If I screw it up .....:comfort1: .
So , I really prefer to get it done by someone , also , I get the tires & rims included !! :thumbsup: .
Its time to get shiny wheels a good rest till summer time comes !! :yes:

Ohh those new fangled cars you need an electronics technician to fix them not a wrench monkey..LOL

trombo
11-20-2010, 08:45 PM
Tell me about it !!.
That is why I get rid of my precious baby CLS550 AMG Pr. PKG !!.
Every oil change , its cost me more than $ 1.000 .00 !!!.
Was a nice car , voice activate recognition , start up with voice command and all the M.Benz show in luxury cars that they build ....
Now , those cars ( Even the cheap new models comes with high Tech like that one LOL ) , are a big trouble for anyone around , why ? , as you already say it ... Electronic System is the price , and any simple fix will cost lots of money , doesn't matter the brand , if any electronic device fail ... big time out and big money go out of the pocket !! .
Can you image that ? , an ordinary Oil Change over $ 1.000.00 !! ... there is a lots of T-Bone & Rib Eye Steak to Eat !!! ... :innocent: :tehe: .

JCO
11-20-2010, 09:17 PM
Tell me about it !!.
That is why I get rid of my precious baby CLS550 AMG Pr. PKG !!.
Every oil change , its cost me more than $ 1.000 .00 !!!.
Was a nice car , voice activate recognition , start up with voice command and all the M.Benz show in luxury cars that they build ....
Now , those cars ( Even the cheap new models comes with high Tech like that one LOL ) , are a big trouble for anyone around , why ? , as you already say it ... Electronic System is the price , and any simple fix will cost lots of money , doesn't matter the brand , if any electronic device fail ... big time out and big money go out of the pocket !! .
Can you image that ? , an ordinary Oil Change over $ 1.000.00 !! ... there is a lots of T-Bone & Rib Eye Steak to Eat !!! ... :innocent: :tehe: .

Mercedes does some regular maintenace when you come in for the oill change, clean and lube the brake calipers, check the horn, lights, prestone level, windshield washer..Over 100 items are checked...
The brake maintenance where they say the calipers are cleaned is a spray can of brake cleaner.. If you get the maitenance done by an independant and the parts that are replaced are OEM you have no problem if you have the paperwork .. Its a scam..LMAO
My wrenches are factory trained MB and Porche mechanics, if you heard the stories....
Trombo buy a ferrari and see what an oil change costs you...:tehe:
You can buy 2 small toyotas for the same price..
I would of kept the AMG CLS550 its a great car.. And found a good wrench to do the maintenance...

n3uspeed2
11-20-2010, 09:24 PM
I have the Landrover...&amp; had the Qx56...I get all of my tires from Tirerack... they have reviews as well. hxxp://www.tirerack.com/index_w.jsp

trombo
11-20-2010, 10:29 PM
Mercedes does some regular maintenace when you come in for the oill change, clean and lube the brake calipers, check the horn, lights, prestone level, windshield washer..Over 100 items are checked...
The brake maintenance where they say the calipers are cleaned is a spray can of brake cleaner.. If you get the maitenance done by an independant and the parts that are replaced are OEM you have no problem if you have the paperwork .. Its a scam..LMAO
My wrenches are factory trained MB and Porche mechanics, if you heard the stories....
Trombo buy a ferrari and see what an oil change costs you...:tehe:
You can buy 2 small toyotas for the same price..
I would of kept the AMG CLS550 its a great car.. And found a good wrench to do the maintenance...

:innocent: Too late that advice Bro ...
I change it for a 2008 F430 Berlinetta ...
Wife got too upset , she was without talk to me for a week ...
Then , my birthday came and get all back to normal !! :grr: .
That one still in the garage , never see rain , snow or Wash Car service . . .
Been always Hand Dry Clean , I will die with that car .
As regulars maintenance's ... I prefer not to know about it ... I will not ask and say anything ... just die in silence & paying the bill .....:bawl: .

JCO
11-20-2010, 10:39 PM
:innocent: Too late that advice Bro ...
I change it for a 2008 F430 Berlinetta ...
Wife got too upset , she was without talk to me for a week ...
Then , my birthday came and get all back to normal !! :grr: .
That one still in the garage , never see rain , snow or Wash Car service . . .
Been always Hand Dry Clean , I will die with that car .
As regulars maintenance's ... I prefer not to know about it ... I will not ask and say anything ... just die in silence & paying the bill .....:bawl: .

I know you will say something when they hand you the bill.. It will be extremely explicit and every 2 oil changes you get a free coronary ..ROFLMAO

Go test drive the audi R8 V10 now thats a reliable low maintenance machine..
Same base motor as a lambo Gallardo... Magnetic suspension, great handling..

trombo
11-20-2010, 11:04 PM
I see it when I was looking for a new Toy...
I was looking the Q7 , but we already got SUV'S ...
The R8 is a great looking good car , very nice , over Audi will let me test drive it ...but I was aware of myself ...Im like a Monkey with a Gun and Sharped Knifes !! ... Plus A Bottle of Whisky !! :yeaah::thumbsup:

One of the most fun rides I had was in a VW Toureg V10 turbo diesel.. Chiped with larger injectors, turbos and fuel pump.. A real stump puller..LOL
It would spin all four tires through the first 3 gears...
Wasnt mine , by bro was with Audi and VW AG
Now works for Mercedes...

trombo
11-20-2010, 11:09 PM
Oh !! , Forget to mention ..
Back on track topic !!.
I pick Up the cars over Canadian Tire , lots of peoples around trying to get some tires , was funny :tehe:.
Anyways , The Goodyear Nordic look fine ( My really first snow tires , so got not much experiences on it ) , the car look like a little bit heavy on the path road , not too much noise , but it feel heavy on the road .
Not too much snow at this time , Im anxious to try it in snow weather conditions to see how they are :grr:.
And also , waiting for he other to come to see how they are too ...
Its supposed to feel any snow tire like that ??.

JCO
11-20-2010, 11:13 PM
Oh !! , Forget to mention ..
Back on track topic !!.
I pick Up the cars over Canadian Tire , lots of peoples around trying to get some tires , was funny :tehe:.
Anyways , The Goodyear Nordic look fine ( My really first snow tires , so got not much experiences on it ) , the car look like a little bit heavy on the path road , not too much noise , but it feel heavy on the road .
Not too much snow at this time , Im anxious to try it in snow weather conditions to see how they are :grr:.
And also , waiting for he other to come to see how they are too ...
Its supposed to feel any snow tire like that ??.

The snow tire compound is softer and has less rigidity on the sidewalls.. Yup the car feels heavier.. Those tires will wear out quickly if driven on dry pavement if the temperature is above 5 to 10 degrees C..

trombo
11-20-2010, 11:23 PM
So , what you saying is using just if we have really snow condition to keep it in track !! ??.
That will be not problem at all I guess ...
See ?? , That is why I need to ask around , because there is a lots of information regarding that not anyone knows about it , if you ask to the proper person , you will get the right answer , also , there is not an instruction in how maintenance or using those tires neither ....

JCO
11-20-2010, 11:28 PM
So , what you saying is using just if we have really snow condition to keep it in track !! ??.
That will be not problem at all I guess ...
See ?? , That is why I need to ask around , because there is a lots of information regarding that not anyone knows about it , if you ask to the proper person , you will get the right answer , also , there is not an instruction in how maintenance or using those tires neither ....

Trombo I ski 3 to 4 times a week and live in Quebec, lets just say that working on the road I drive in 30 cm snowstorms regularly...LOL
Snow tires will give you good traction because of the larger blocks cut into the rubber, it enables the tire to clean itself out, being softer rubber they wear out quick on warm dry pavement..
Short drives in warm dry weather doesnt do much damage, long rides do because the tire heats up..

freddydog1
11-20-2010, 11:31 PM
i run snow tires on both the truck and the car from november to earlie april.
here in the maritimes were not snow covered all the time so the snowtires dont last as long as the all seasons,,but its worth it ,,they pay for themsleves,,not the same ride,but its a safer ride

Costactc
11-20-2010, 11:32 PM
I live about an hour away from Jco right on the snow belt of Eastern Ontario, Michelin Alpin on my Grand Prix. Heck I live in Cornwall and work in Montreal- that equates to 1,300 km a week.

JCO
11-20-2010, 11:35 PM
I live about an hour away from Jco right on the snow belt of Eastern Ontario, Michelin Alpin on my Grand Prix. Heck I live in Cornwall and work in Montreal- that equates to 1,300 km a week.

Do you whisle Paul Simons song, Slip Sliding Away as you drive??? LOL

Costactc
11-20-2010, 11:53 PM
No can do bud, Seether and Linkin Park all the time. Just a bit tricky at 4th line rd where tractor trailers are always in the ditch and around the the 20 and 520 merge, especially when it's freezing rain.

kaysar
11-22-2010, 06:14 AM
Trombo, I think you will be happy with your choice. I have run both and was very disappointed with the x-ice! I like michelins but would never run those x-ice again. The BFG's are a decent all around tire, and will hold up good. You will want to take them off as soon as spring comes though. I have always run winter tires and tried several different kinds. I agree with mclovins choice. The Blizzaks are a GREAT ice tire but they wear quick. I run them on my highway cars and they are well worth the money.

trombo
11-22-2010, 05:32 PM
Well , not too much snow around already , but getting freezing everyday. <br />
Now , because we never need snow tires before ( We just moving around town and close to home ) , this time we have to get...

mclovin
11-22-2010, 08:58 PM
It will be interesting when you compare the Blizzaks to the others,like I said I love the Blizzaks and will play sometimes just to see if I can get the car on a slide,hard to do...

JCO
11-22-2010, 09:03 PM
It will be interesting when you compare the Blizzaks to the others,like I said I love the Blizzaks and will play sometimes just to see if I can get the car on a slide,hard to do...

Let me have the keys Mac, I can get it to drift...LOL Even got an audi s6 2.7 turbo crossways last year on 4 blizzacs and it was shooting rooster tails from all four tires..:thumbsup:

Costactc
11-22-2010, 09:05 PM
Mich Alpin came in great this morning on my drive to work with freezing rain. Bummer part of it was that there was an accident and had to wait 1/2 hour.

JCO
11-22-2010, 09:08 PM
Mich Alpin came in great this morning on my drive to work with freezing rain. Bummer part of it was that there was an accident and had to wait 1/2 hour.

It was a bummer Costactc, nothing here in terms of ice or freezing rain, at least its snowing on top of Mont Tremblant..:thumbsup:

gusman
11-22-2010, 09:12 PM
Did you check National Tire store in River road delta?

I have Michelin from Costco and this is the fourth year of using it.

Costactc
11-22-2010, 09:23 PM
It was a bummer Costactc, nothing here in terms of ice or freezing rain, at least its snowing on top of Mont Tremblant..:thumbsup:

Nice in the mountains jco, have any runs opened at Tremblant?

JCO
11-22-2010, 09:39 PM
Nice in the mountains jco, have any runs opened at Tremblant?

It opens on the 25th this month.. I may head up this week end, gotta get some runs in before my participation in the 24 hrs of Tremblant fund raiser..
Got my Atomic 220cm downhill skis hand sharpened and waxed already..These babies fly...:thumbsup:

Costactc
11-22-2010, 09:51 PM
Holy smokes bud 220. I usually use 184, gives me better control.

JCO
11-22-2010, 10:00 PM
Holy smokes bud 220. I usually use 184, gives me better control.

Yup I have an old pair of Atomic downhill skis that I only use for days like the 24hrs.. The have a lousy turning radius, but they are extremely rigid and stable at speed. You cant buy these retail, they are made only for the pro racers .. If you dont know what your doing they will kill you.. There now going on 10 years old but they still truck...They are based on the first parabolics that Atomic made and Herman Maier trounced everyone in the world cup races..

Heres a pic of Herman and the Atomics...:thumbsup:

You will notice he likes them long also.. At 6 ft 220's are just a touch long but I can handle them..

I also have some 175's and 185's for other occasions, the 175's are for moguls and bushwacking..

StanW
11-22-2010, 10:02 PM
Trombo - first time I hear of anyone living in Raincouver purchasing winter tires !!!! Are you anticipating the next ice age ? lol

JCO
11-22-2010, 10:04 PM
Trombo - first time I hear of anyone living in Raincouver purchasing winter tires !!!! Are you anticipating the next ice age ? lol

Wants to save money on the lift tickets at whisler, he's going to use the Land Rover instead...LOL

trombo
11-22-2010, 11:42 PM
They are out of stock in any Costco over Vancouver . <br />
Factory doesn't want send them anymore , they want that every retail having them ...:yes: <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
We do &quot; Illegal &quot; Racing competitions over Ice...

no-one
11-23-2010, 06:07 PM
the best winter tires are made by michelin,,,, everyone else is trying to copy /

JCO
11-23-2010, 06:09 PM
the best winter tires are made by michelin,,,, everyone else is trying to copy /

My experience with Blizzacs and Pirrelli lead me to disagree...:noidea:

satchick
11-23-2010, 06:22 PM
I've never liked Michelin tires, either their summer touring or winter. I've had good experience with BF Goodrich and Bridgestone, and I've heard good things about General.

zoogor
11-23-2010, 06:43 PM
to each hia own apparently lol. we could go on and on about this as most men have their favorite make of auto the same holds true for tires and outboard motors and atv's and cycles and the list goes on.
best answer is to live and learn. any snow tire is better than an all season in the snow and yes your better off to go with a leading brand.
pick one, if it treats ya good and your satisfied...stick with it. if your not happy with it, get a different type next year.

pugsycan
11-23-2010, 06:56 PM
My experience with Blizzacs and Pirrelli lead me to disagree...:noidea:

I like my Blizzacs they have never let me down

gusman
11-23-2010, 07:55 PM
to each hia own apparently lol. we could go on and on about this as most men have their favorite make of auto the same holds true for tires and outboard motors and atv's and cycles and the list goes on.
best answer is to live and learn. any snow tire is better than an all season in the snow and yes your better off to go with a leading brand.
pick one, if it treats ya good and your satisfied...stick with it. if your not happy with it, get a different type next year.

i dont want to spend money on snow tires every year, :innocent::innocent:

zoogor
11-23-2010, 08:07 PM

lol, i suppose not. lol
the blizacs are getting pretty good reviews in this thread. i'll be honest with, i have never used winter tires on my own truck but i put them on my wifes and she seems to do all right with the michelins. it dont hurt that its 4x4 either.
well, good luck buddy in what ever you choose.

onslo
11-24-2010, 02:31 AM

Buy the snowies ON RIMS. get them balanced then in spring just change them out

satchick
11-24-2010, 11:07 PM
There's nothing wrong with getting used rims either (they're going to get ruined by the salt anyways)... Most junkyards sell good steel rims for around $20 a piece, and they're usually in decent shape.

Getting the snows on their own rims also protects your good summer rims from salt damage.