PDA

View Full Version : Painting..

chuck
12-22-2010, 06:39 PM
so, me and my little girl, are moving into a new house. i suggested we could paint the walls in her room to make it feel more like her own.

that discussion on what colour to paint led to a more unique,creative design.

she was thinking on the ceiling to be black with stars, the moon etc...have the effect of the night sky.

on the walls daytime sky....blue, clouds etc...

my question is.......how do i pull this one off?? loll

camaroluvr
12-22-2010, 06:47 PM
so, me and my little girl, are moving into a new house. i suggested we could paint the walls in her room to make it feel more like her own.

she was thinking on the ceiling to be black with stars, the moon etc...have the effect of the night sky.

Hey man..search the net, or talk to someone in a hardware store...at least this way your getting the proper information

kenkell1
12-22-2010, 06:48 PM
First make sure you paint the ceiling flat black and let it dry really good THEN look online or even at Home Depot for something called star effects or something like that. They are glow in the dark stick on planets, stars etc etc etc and are really cool if your higher then a kite LOL.
The walls can be painted sky blue and use a large Sponge sold at Home depot for the cloud effects (white paint). I have done this and it does look pretty cool.

JCO
12-22-2010, 06:49 PM

Well a matt black ceiling and star stencils of various sizes.. The clouds can also be done with stencils or freehand

Night Prowler
12-22-2010, 07:05 PM
something like this for your night sky......leave the ceiling white so it's not so dreary and confined looking during the day.....:thumbsup:

http://coolglow.com/51/Glow-Paint/?gclid=CObXqd7GgKYCFUlN4Aod53pfow

chuck
12-22-2010, 07:30 PM
great tips guys thks!

i like the glow in dark effect for sure.... if you just paint stars with reg. paint....once the light is off...you won't see anything.

i know my kiddo, would love the glowing night stars:) ....planets....hmmm...thats an option too...

Terryl
12-22-2010, 07:38 PM
Just put in one big glass skylight......NYUK NYUK NYUK....

What I did for one of my nephews is to draw out a plan of what he wanted, then cut out some stencils for the stars and planets in thin cardboard, paint the areas for the stars in yellow (you can be sloppy, and they have glow in the dark paint for this) and the areas for the planets in blue and green (sloppy here too) then apply the stencils to the ceiling and walls if needed with push pins (covering the previously painted areas) and paint around them with the flat black, then when things dry up a bit you can remove the stencils.

After things dry you can do the clouds and other things like adding smaller glow in the dark stars and other things.

One big problem is when they grow out of it, it is a mess to try and cover up, it usually takes several coats of good primer to cover everything.

JCO
12-22-2010, 07:55 PM
Just put in one big glass skylight......NYUK NYUK NYUK....

What I did for one of my nephews is to draw out a plan of what he wanted, then cut out some stencils for the stars and planets in thin cardboard, paint the areas for the stars in yellow (you can be sloppy, and they have glow in the dark paint for this) and the areas for the planets in blue and green (sloppy here too) then apply the stencils to the ceiling and walls if needed with push pins (covering the previously painted areas) and paint around them with the flat black, then when things dry up a bit you can remove the stencils.

After things dry you can do the clouds and other things like adding smaller glow in the dark stars and other things.

One big problem is when they grow out of it, it is a mess to try and cover up, it usually takes several coats of good primer to cover everything.

A few gallons of Bin Zinzzer primer does wonders.. the oil based one covers anything.. It's a bit pricey at 150$ for a five gallon but worth it..

mclovin
12-22-2010, 10:43 PM
Here you go Chuck,might as well throw in a strobe light thunderstorm on the roof also :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnURqvHcQJQ&feature=related

torpainter
12-22-2010, 10:45 PM
A few gallons of Bin Zinzzer primer does wonders.. the oil based one covers anything.. It's a bit pricey at 150$ for a five gallon but worth it..

plus 60 for the respirator...lol

There are high quality latex ones at the market just as good now

Terryl
12-22-2010, 11:00 PM
This can save some painting, and is removable.

http://www.decoratetogo.com/143jj6834.html

Terryl
12-22-2010, 11:02 PM
And if you want to make it educational this will work great.

http://www.opentip.com/Toys-Kids-Baby/Ursa-Major-The-Night-Sky-Star-Stencilwinter-Sky-Foot-Stencil-p-1671571.html

dishuser
12-22-2010, 11:14 PM
decades ago when I painted a mural of the crime of the century cover I used a toothbrush to do the stars
worked great

The Cobra
12-22-2010, 11:24 PM
Hey chuck---I do a lot of this kinda stuff and more fixing it after they get sick of it LMAO. Like JCO mentioned---start off (whether light to dark or otherwise) with a heavy duty primer (oil is best) and have the primer tinted as dark as possible. It`ll probably save you one coat of paint in the end----plus you`ll have primer left once you take off the stars and the glue rips off the paint LOL.

JCO
12-23-2010, 12:00 AM
plus 60 for the respirator...lol

There are high quality latex ones at the market just as good now

Respirator?? Why opt out of the free buzzz... Bin Zinnzerr and a few beers wooohooo..LMAO..
They also have a latex one available now, its good but not as good as the original oil based one..:thumbsup:

mclovin
12-23-2010, 12:07 AM
Respirator?? Why opt out of the free buzzz... Bin Zinnzerr and a few beers wooohooo..LMAO..
They also have a latex one available now, its good but not as good as the original oil based one..:thumbsup:

free buzz!! lol that reminds me of my bud and I a long time ago laided tile in his bathroom with some wicked glue OMG couldn't stop laughing,OH that's what happen to me :noidea: :D

eyeQ
12-23-2010, 01:17 AM
you might ask or copycat Kolovrat man cave:innocent:

Salquist1
04-07-2012, 05:51 PM
great tips guys thks!

i like the glow in dark effect for sure.... if you just paint stars with reg. paint....once the light is off...you won't see anything.

i know my kiddo, would love the glowing night stars:) ....planets....hmmm...thats an option too...

I tried some stickons that was supposed to glow in the dark, they were expensive and didn't work.

phantombeyond
04-09-2012, 04:19 PM
Another approach that can be dramatic are florescent paints with a black light. Shows better than the luminescent paint but needs black light.

If tastes change, there are black light posters you can google for that have stellar themes and you can leave walls the same so it is easier to resell house later.