PDA

View Full Version : thinking of a bud

moneybags
01-27-2011, 09:29 PM
can someone give me a list of what i will need to get it going i am thinking of buying a 10 footer this will be all new setup

any help would be great thank you :cor:

Costactc
01-27-2011, 09:33 PM
Aside from the dish you'll need a 24" or 36" actuator, lnbf or feedhorn, ribbon cable and a positioner to move your dish. Before actually buying a dish, have a look in outer areas, many peeps giving them away as long as you remove it.

moneybags
01-27-2011, 09:36 PM
what lnbf are good because i am jumping into this because i am laidoff for a while so i am going to have lots of time to play

Gold
01-27-2011, 09:44 PM
I have two 10' dishes
1 has a DMX741, the other has DMX741U...The "U" stands for universal Ku.
One thing to look for is a BUD with small mesh like a Unimesh, Sami, the "newer" Orbitrons. Another plus about getting one local is they will be much easier to set up. You will probably have little Azimuth adjustment

moneybags
01-27-2011, 09:48 PM
thank you guys keep it coming i want to be full of info when i start this project been doing lots of reading on it to now what type of box would be good

Costactc
01-27-2011, 10:37 PM
I use my 10' bud exclusively for c band with a geosatpro c2 lnbf. My 6' solid is used for ku and I'll have my new adf-120 prime focus feedhorn with an invacom qpf-031 flange quad lnbf once the snow melts.

moneybags
01-27-2011, 10:45 PM
well right now i am playing around with a 39 inch with a quad polar lnb and h to h 90 motor

Costactc
01-27-2011, 11:50 PM
Wait till you see how many c band channels are up there, at least 6-7 hundred. Also, most hd channels are found on c band, you might want to also look into an hd stb.

Bowhunters
01-28-2011, 12:16 AM
As Costactc mentioned you may find good used BUD dishes in your area that are extreemly cheap or free if you do the labor on removal.

You may also be able to find them in your local 'Pennypower' type magazines but if you see one behind a home I would even nock on the door and ask, especially if you also see they have a dishnet or Directv dish.

You will also need coax and wires for the dish mover motor and dish position sensor. Not sure if anyone is cheaper but you can find this type 'Ribbon cable' for under $1.00 a foot at skyvision.com .

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff266/Bowhunter70/C-BAND-RIBBON-CABLE-small.jpg

moneybags
01-28-2011, 12:54 AM
thank you for the wire

satchick
01-28-2011, 01:40 AM
I agree with looking around for a used dish, there are many out there. I got mine by knocking on the door and asking for it...

As others have mentioned, you'll need the LNBF, and an actuator... If you grab a used dish the actuator will probably still work, just give it a coating of grease before use. The ribbon cable will make things easier by having all of the signal, power, and control wires in one bundle, but you can use individual conductors in pipe as well.

You'll also need a pole to mount the dish to, this should be steel and most mounts take a 3.5" OD pipe, but some may be different so get out the caliper and measure before buying. I got mine from a well drilling company, but scrap yards may also have something that will work. Paint it with rust paint prior to installation as well... The pole will also need to be set in concrete for a permanent installation, I don't remember off hand what size hole to dig though. Some concrete companies will sell you the leftovers at the end of a run at a reduced price as well.

moneybags
01-28-2011, 02:21 AM
i think for the hole on a ten foot pole i would go 2 feet down and one foot around

satchick
01-28-2011, 02:40 AM
How deep depends on where you live, you have to go below the frost line or the dish will move. You also have to make the hole a bell shape, so that the concrete won't float up or move.

moneybags
01-28-2011, 02:43 AM
yea very true what type of stb would be good with this set

satchick
01-28-2011, 03:25 AM
If you're looking for a new receiver, the openbox S9 has been getting positive reviews... It does everything except 4:2:2 feeds I do believe. There are also older model receivers that work very well too.

Gold
01-28-2011, 11:35 AM
well right now i am playing around with a 39 inch with a quad polar lnb and h to h 90 motor

With a 39" offset will work better for Ku, then a 10' BUD.

Like Costactc mentioned a Geosatpro C2 is a good LNBF, it has dual outputs. A few others are DMX242, & DMX241...These are all C Band only LNBF's which I would recommend a LNBF over a LNB.

First things first, you need a dish & a good actuator. If you were in SW Missouri I'd give you one of mine, I have two more 10' leaning against a building. Don't get a heavy dish & a cheap actuator.

Silverado
01-28-2011, 12:20 PM
Moneybags, What area are you in? Maybe someone in your area has an extra dish they want to get rid of.

moneybags
01-28-2011, 02:30 PM
kitchener is the area i am in

Costactc
01-28-2011, 04:56 PM
If your in Kitchner, your hole needs to be at least 4' for the frost line. For an stb I would suggest the oponbox s 9 or an Azbox Ultra.

sbennett454
02-21-2011, 09:42 PM
if you get an old BUD dish with an atuator on it how would you go about seeing if it works? Do you need something like a rotor or can you hook it up to the stb? Not sure of the power it takes to make them move.

aguiar
02-21-2011, 10:36 PM
why would u suguest open box?

moneybags
02-21-2011, 10:59 PM
well the open for true fta is hd and you dont need any add on for it and for the price it is not that bad just to let the others know i got my bud over the weekend now waitting for a nice day out to get it started and i got a geosatpro C2 for the lnbf i think i have everything now to get going thank you to all for the great info

StanW
02-21-2011, 11:15 PM
if you get an old BUD dish with an atuator on it how would you go about seeing if it works? Do you need something like a rotor or can you hook it up to the stb? Not sure of the power it takes to make them move.

... as simple as connecting the motor ( power in ) to the lnb out of any receiver - if the auger is good it will activate - changing channels from V to H will even vary the speed :thumbsup:

satchick
02-21-2011, 11:27 PM
That's a good idea.... It'll move very slowly though, since those actuators are either 24v or 36v... I wouldn't leave it for too long like that though, the lower voltage from the receiver will cause...

Costactc
02-21-2011, 11:31 PM
why would u suguest open box?

Excellent fast blind scanning hd stb. Its tuner is not as sensitive as the azbox but worth it for $$$.