PDA

View Full Version : Motor and dish setup made easy

purriocity
02-01-2011, 05:56 PM
I don't know if this is the right place to post this.Please move to appropriate place if not.I just finnished setting up a dish and motor for the first time and wanted to make a setup that was easy for everyone to understand.Hope this helps.

chifut
02-01-2011, 06:17 PM
Idid follow till step5 -The LONgitude show your true south
Mine is 81.-so 81W is my true south.
After that I lock the motor on Zero ,and find 83w /the closiest bird for me/.Idid not used any compass.
After that using working TP on each bird from 12.5w to 121w ,did lock each bird without any compass

purriocity
02-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Idid follow till step5 -The LONgitude show your true south
Mine is 81.-so 81W is my true south.
After that I lock the motor on Zero ,and find 83w /the closiest bird for me/.Idid not used any compass.
After that using working TP on each bird from 12.5w to 121w ,did lock each bird without any compass

Wouldn't nimiq 4 sat 82 be your closest then?

chifut
02-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Yes It's closest ,but Ican'not hit 82 in Florida and had to swapt LNBs from circular to linear.
BTW I use 39 inch dish,,and 1.2 option in the stb

StanW
02-01-2011, 06:37 PM
I've never , well apart from the first time , used the true south method .

Make sure that the dish/motor is setup correctly as per the declination tables/location , tell usals to go to any satellite ( preferably circular) - the motor will move to where ever , now just rotate the dish on the mast to get a lock on the selected satellite. Tighten all the nuts . If the mast is perfectly plumb and the dish/motor has been setup correctly the motor, from this point on, will drive the dish to any satellite visible from the location.

purriocity
02-01-2011, 06:40 PM
So do ya think my setup guide is not bad?

Terryl
02-01-2011, 06:43 PM
Not bad info, except for lines # 4, 5 and 8, you missed something, the motor and dish have to be lined up to Due South first (180 degrees due South), a “True South” satellite found by the location longitude is not due South from most locations.

Once this is done and everything tightly bolted in place, then the motor can be manually driven (left or right) to the Due South satellite to be used as the starting reference satellite. (Due South satellite)

A couple of degrees difference off of due South in first setup will cause a loss of satellites at the end travels of the motor, this is because the satellites are in an arc across the sky (the Clark belt) the motor must follow this arc or it will miss something as it pans left or right.

180 degrees south is also not the same as 180 degrees Due South when using a compass, the compass locates the “North magnetic pole” this can be up to 20+ or - degrees off of Due North (and South) depending on location, this also changes over time, so you need to know your magnetic deviation at your location (it varies from place to place) to find the True South from any location, there are many “magnetic deviation” sites out there to help with locating this addition or subtraction from/to your compass readings, with out this your dish will be pointing in the wrong direction (not due South) on first install.

Here is one site to help find the magnetic deviation at the install location.
http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomagmodels/Declination.jsp

chifut
02-01-2011, 06:49 PM
So do ya think my setup guide is not bad?

NOoo, Its not bad afcourse ..

purriocity
02-02-2011, 04:19 AM
I even watched a video and the guy said if your true south is this go to that closest sat and that is your true south sat.So if your true south is 124.25 why would you want to waste your time trying to figure out azimuth,angle,declination,magnetic etc.It's not rocket science.All the sats are in an arc.Your true south means nothing unless it lines up perfectly with that perticular sat.Just use your true south as a refference point and go to the closest sat to you and the rest will follow.We are here to make things easier for people to figure out not give them a project that they need to be a mathmetician or genius to figure it out.That is why I made this post so people who wanted to try themselves only have to do what is needed to get the job done without wasting their valuable time or getting confused and missing out on something so simple with a little patience.Trial and error.Thankyou.

laprz1
04-16-2011, 12:02 AM
i have set up dish and can hit 82 91 and 110 but for the life of me i cannot hit or find 119 i do have 110 and 119 on my bev dish but missing on 33 inch dish sg2100 motor!!