PDA

View Full Version : Leafs defenceman Kaberle open to trade talk

chicot60
02-02-2011, 12:53 AM
Mark Zwolinski

Tomas Kaberle says he is open to talking about trades, even if the Leafs and his agent aren’t willing to speak publicly on the subject.

“If something comes up, we can talk. . . that’s what my agent is for,” Kaberle said prior to the Leafs-Panthers game Tuesday night.

Both Leafs GM Brian Burke and agent Rick Curran preferred to keep talks — and neither said there are any — out of the media. Kaberle has become the focus of attention the past two seasons after reports broke out regarding the status of his no-trade clause.

Last summer, Kaberle indicated a willingness to at least listen to proposals, and his stance remained unchanged on Tuesday.

“I haven’t heard anything about that yet,” the 32-year-old defenceman said.

“Every year is the same. There’s going to be lots of talk, especially at the end (at the deadline). I just want to focus on the game.”

According to Twitter and other online sources on Monday, discussions between Burke and Curran were to convene this week.

Reports indicate the meeting is meant to clear up the long-standing issue surrounding the Kaberle trade scenario — whether or not he’d waive his no-trade clause and accept a move from the Leafs, the only team he’s played for since breaking into the NHL in 1998.

Burke offered no comment on Monday while Curran said that if there were talks —he didn’t say there were — he wouldn’t comment in order to steer clear of a media circus that would come Kaberle’s way.

Curran was said to have given Burke a list of teams that Kaberle would prefer. A similar list existed in the summer when a trade window opened in the clause, but Curran said the landscape has changed.

“I will clear up speculation. . . there is no list of teams and there won’t be,” Curran said.

Kaberle’s veto of two previous moves — one to bring Jeff Carter to the Leafs, the other for Phil Kessel — forced the popular defenceman into uncomfortable situations where he had to defend the clause and his wishes to remain in Toronto.

That scenario has changed since the summer. Burke has received offers for Kaberle and other players, but none that make any sense for the Leafs. There has been no recent indication of resistance from Kaberle.

Kaberle leads all Leafs defencemen with 30 points and is essentially at the end of his time as a tradable asset for the Leafs. He becomes an unrestricted free agent this summer and the Leafs will lose him with no return if he signs with another team when the free agency period opens up on July 1.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/nhl/mapleleafs/article/931804--leafs-defenceman-kaberle-open-to-trade-talk