PDA

View Full Version : Minn. woman wins lottery 1 month after her death

chicot60
02-02-2011, 02:16 AM
COTTAGE GROVE, Minn. -- Sometimes, the best relationships are those where the couple trades all the time on who gets the last word.

That was the case at least for Paul and Ginny McCauley of Cottage Grove.

"She's one upping me, that's for sure, she always did though," Paul said of his wife, Ginny.

Paul married Ginny back in 1965.

He said he didn't so much as ask for her hand as he did just say it would be his someday.

"I told her on the first date I was going to marry her and I did," Paul said with a grin.

For 45 years, after that walk down the aisle Paul and Ginny just traded the family pants per say, sometimes he wore them, but most of the time, she did.

."Boy I tell ya, she was something," Paul said.

Last November, Ginny died of cancer after a very brief but hard fought battle.

"I was very fortunate, I had her for 45 years," Paul said.

But Ginny was holding a secret when she left her husband.

She, along with her two best friends, worked for thirty some years at Cub Foods.

The three of them, from the deli counter they ran, played the lottery every week.

Even after she got sick, Ginny sent her friend Bernie the money and they kept playing, that was the pact.

A pact, broken this past Christmas for one darn good reason.

"Bernie called me over Christmas and said are you sitting down? Well sit down because you just won a third of $45,000," Paul said.

At that point, a month after his wife died, Paul knew Ginny got the last word.

Bittersweet, yes, but sweet nonetheless.

The only thing she would have wanted more, Paul said, would have been to spend her winnings a week from Sunday.

."If she was alive that's what we'd be doing right now, we'd go to Dallas (for the Super Bowl)," Paul said.

Ginny and Paul were green and gold all the way, fans of the Green Bay Packers football team.

But obviously that dream trip can't be because Ginny isn't here.

She's busy doing angel work upstairs it seems, directing her luck for her sweetheart and for her Pack.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41338428/ns/local_news-minneapolis_mn/