PDA

View Full Version : Senators leclaire out one month with fractured cheekbone

Newf
11-25-2009, 03:29 AM
The Ottawa Senators will be forced to do without Pascal Leclaire for up to four weeks as the Sens' number one netminder will undergo surgery to repair a fractured cheekbone.

The injury occured during Monday's victory over the Capitals when an errant puck bounced off the glass behind the Senators bench and hit him in the head.

"I didn't even see it coming," Leclaire told reporters this morning following Senators practice. "I was talking to one of our trainers and it hit me like a baseball bat. It hurt quite a bit and I was dazed for awhile."

Leclaire has been repeatedly bitten by the injury bug throughout his young career, but the latest injury is tough to take for the 27-year old as there was nothing he could do to stop it.

"It's total bad luck and it's like it catches me every year," Leclaire admitted. "This one is that bad that you almost have to laugh about it."

"It's very disappointing, especially to have it happen that way," admitted Senators' coach Cory Clouston. "We'll make the best of it."

Leclaire, who was already listed as day-to-day, will be replaced by Brian Elliot should he be out for an extended period. The team recalled goaltender Mike Brodeur from the Binghamton Senators of the AHL on an emergency basis.

"That's a terrible break for (Leclaire) and for us," Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson told the CANADIAN PRESS. "It gives a chance for Brian to step in and get some regular time. He's played really well when he has been called upon and we feel comfortable with him playing without question."