PDA

View Full Version : Jarrrett objects to suggestion of a NASCAR-Earnhardt fix.

pandr
02-17-2011, 11:51 AM
Jarrett objects to suggestion of a NASCAR-Earnhardt fix
By Jim Utter - charlotteobserver
Wednesday, Feb. 16, 2011

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – During the broadcast of Tuesday night’s edition of ESPN’s “Pardon the Interruption,” host Tony Kornheiser raised the prospect that Dale Earnhardt Jr. received an assist from NASCAR in his pole-winning qualifying run for the Daytona 500.

“There are people in and around the NASCAR world, not just drivers but people who cover the sport as well, who are winking at this one. Who are wondering if this wasn’t a set-up because it’s the pole position, it’s not winning the race,” he said.

Kornheiser said he had spoken with female reporter who had covered NASCAR for several years who told him there was a “60 percent chance” Earnhardt’s car on Sunday was “not quite up to code.”

On his radio show Tuesday night, Kornheiser identified the reporter as Liz Clarke of The Washington Post.

ESPN’s vice president of motorsports, Rich Feinberg, said he didn’t put much stock into what Kornheiser said, calling it “his opinion.”

The allegation didn’t sit well with Dale Jarrett, a three-time Daytona 500 winner and current commentator on ESPN NASCAR broadcasts.

“It pisses me off that somebody thinks that, from being inside … knowing how hard, and for so many years, that I and these guys worked on our race cars,” he said.

“Dale Earnhardt Jr. is in a very good car here, and he always run well here when you give him good equipment. In fact he’s my pick to win the Daytona 500.

"Because it’s the 10th anniversary of his father’s death? No. It doesn’t have anything to do with that.”

Read more: hxxp://www.thatsracin.com/2011/02/16/55967/jarrett-objects-to-suggestion.html#ixzz1EDRtGLWJ