PDA

View Full Version : Kiprusoff, Flames prove too much for Wings in Detroit

Newf
11-28-2009, 03:52 PM
DETROIT -- Even when the puck does go into the net for the Detroit Red Wings these days, it doesn't count.

Miika Kiprusoff made 40 saves for his second shutout of the season and 32nd overall, leading the Calgary Flames to a 3-0 victory over the slumping Red Wings on Friday night.

Detroit hasn't scored in 153 minutes 22 seconds. The Red Wings have been shut out in consecutive games for the first time since December 2001 and the first time at home since 1977. On Wednesday night, they lost 2-0 to Atlanta.

The Red Wings twice got the puck past Kiprusoff but both goals were waved off. An apparent power-play goal by Dan Cleary, who tipped Brad Stuart's point shot, with 5:27 left in the first was waved off by referee Brad Meier, who ruled that Cleary was in the crease. Cleary lost another potential goal with just 11.2 seconds left in the second period. He put a puck in off a goal-mouth scramble, but it came just after Meier had whistled the play dead because he lost sight of the puck under Kiprusoff.

"I really thought the first one should have been a goal," Cleary said. "I didn't do anything wrong."

Detroit coach Mike Babcock agreed with Cleary.

"I was disappointed. The first one, Cleary was in the crease, there's no contact made, the referee said (Kiprusoff) couldn't make the save. That's not how I saw it, but I have the replay," Babcock said. "The second one it's a goal for sure. We can't so anything about that now , we just got to worry about how we're playing and keep playing as hard as we possibly can."

Jamie Lundmark and Olli Jokinen each had a goal and an assist, Nigel Dawes also scored, and Jarome Iginla had two assists.

Kiprusoff said the Red Wings didn't appear to be pressing.

"Pretty normal," he said. "They're missing a couple of guys but they still have dangerous players."

Kiprusoff made 32 saves in the first two periods.

"He definitely kept us in the game," Lundmark said. "He had over 30 shots over the first two periods."

Chris Osgood stopped 14 shots for Detroit. The Red Wings have lost five of their last six games and have lost four in a row at Joe Louis Arena for the first time in almost two years.

"We've been going through struggles in the past, too, but now we're not able to get goals. We're getting the shots, getting chances, but the puck's not going in for us. We have to continue to shoot the puck," Red Wings captain Nicklas Lidstrom said. "We still have the confidence. You can't get frustrated, you can't let that get to you, you have to continue to dig in and work hard. It's going to turn for us."

Lundmark opened the scoring at 28 seconds on the game's first shot, putting in a one-time shot from the lip of the crease for his first goal of the season.

The Flames got their second goal with just 1:31 left in the opening period when Detroit's Pavel Datsyuk and Dawes made contact with the puck almost simultaneously and it slid past Osgood. It was Dawes' sixth goal.

Jokinen got his fourth goal just 25 seconds into the third period on a one-time shot from the right circle close to the boards.

NOTES: Calgary defenceman Cory Sarich missed his second game because of an undisclosed injury. ... Flames right wing David Moss is from the Detroit-area suburb of Livonia and played at the University of Michigan.