PDA

View Full Version : Bute, Andrade ready to go in highly anticipated rematch

Newf
11-28-2009, 04:09 PM
QUEBEC CITY, Que. -- Lucian Bute will look to erase the controversial outcome of his last bout with Librado Andrade when the IBF super-middleweight champ defends his title in a rematch Saturday.

Both boxers tipped the scales well under the 168 pound limit Friday. Bute (24-0, 19 KO), who is making the fourth defence of his IBF title, weighed in at 166.8 pounds and the challenger Andrade (28-2, 21 KO), who is making his third attempt at a world championship crown, came in at 166.7 pounds.

Bute out-boxed Andrade for the majority of their first meeting in October 2008, but slumped to the bell when the Mexican-born fighter started a late-round rally.

Bute, a Romanian fighter who calls Montreal home, hit the canvas hard with only six seconds left and barely dragged himself upright by the corner ropes, beating referee Marlon Wright's count and narrowly escaping with his championship.

"I came there to knock him out and that's exactly what I did," said Andrade of the first encounter. "I got to him and I'll get to him again."

Andrade's trainer Howard Grant, of Montreal, agreed. "Without a knockout, we won't be happy. That's what we've come here for, a decision isn't going to cut it.

"We can't allow this guy to set the tempo. When the going gets tough, Librado is going to be there, this other guy, he might not be, he might fold under pressure, he folded the last time."

Andrade's promoter Golden Boy Promotions won the purse bid for the fight with a total of $1,211,000 but decided to stage the fight in Canada despite the controversial ending of the first encounter. The fight has already sold-out at the Pepsi Colisee.

Andrade as the challenger will be making 25 per cent or $302,500 while Bute will be making the lion's share, a career high $988,500.

"Economically this was the place where the fighters would benefit most financially," said David Itskowitch of the U.S. promoter. "This is the place we needed to do it. Everybody saw what happened the last time, so I think everybody will be on their best behaviour."

Bute meanwhile feels that he dominated the last time, and that it was only his attempt to go for the knockout when he got tired and was caught. "It was a small mistake, this time I will be better," he vowed.

"We had a great training camp and Lucian is sharp, he confident, and he's really strong," said Bute's trainer Stephane Larouche. "This is the first fight in over two years where he is injury free. No knees, no hands, no elbows. He's good to go."