PDA

View Full Version : NHL hires Shanny as VP

Newf
12-03-2009, 08:55 PM
from sportsnet.ca

THE CANADIAN PRESS

NEW YORK -- Brendan Shanahan didn't stay retired for long.

The three-time Stanley Cup champion was named the NHL's vice-president of hockey and business development Thursday, less than three weeks after ending his 22-year playing career.

Shanahan, who announced his retirement Nov. 17, will work with Colin Campbell, the league's senior executive vice-president of hockey operations, providing insights from a player's standpoint into trends that have emerged. The 40-year-old will also be responsible for special projects handed down by commissioner Gary Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly.

"The league, at all levels, will benefit tremendously from Brendan's passion for the game and from the wisdom of his experience gained in 21 years of playing the game," Bettman said.

"Throughout his career, Brendan was the consummate team player, putting the success of his team and the good of the game above individual accomplishments. I am certain he will be able to bring that same approach to his new role."

Shanahan, an eight-time all-star, finished with 1,354 career points (656 goals, 798 assists), good for 23rd all-time.

"I am thrilled to remain involved in the game I love and am looking forward to learning 'the other side' of it," said Shanahan.

"The game is in a great place and is poised for further growth. The quality of the players and the competition has never been better. It took a collective effort to get to this point and I look forward to being part of a group that continues to grow the game -- on and off the ice -- in the coming years."