PDA

View Full Version : Carpet Care tips ( between professional cleaning)

Bigpineguy Retired
12-05-2009, 02:50 AM
Between Cleanings

Vacuum heavy traffic areas 2–3 times a week, and the rest of your carpet once a week. If you have a "carpet rake" ...Use it! If not, you should get one.

Use indoor and outdoor mats at each entrance to reduce the amount of dirt tracked into your home. Be sure to clean these periodically to ensure their utmost effectiveness.

Use a spot remover that is NOT soap based, but is detergent based...Detergent based cleaners will flake up when dry ( whatever you don't get back up ) and can be easily vacuumed up , as soap based products will remain leaving you the impression that the same spot has returned , but the remaining soap left behind has only became a magnet to dirt to stick to faster, leaving you thinking "That's spot back again!"

Spot Remover:

When removing accidental spots and spills, speed is the key. The longer any substance stays in contact with your carpet, the more it will penetrate into the fibers.
For most household accidents, follow these spot removal steps:

1 Remove any solid materials - a spoon is a great tool for this.

2 Blot the area with a clean, white cloth to absorb as much liquid as possible. Do not use a scrubbing motion, as this can damage carpet fibers. 3 Spray your spot remover directly on the problem area until wet.
(Be sure to test for colorfastness in an inconspicuous area first.)
Wait 1–3 minutes while the Spot Remover loosens the dirt.

4 Gently wipe the spot with a clean, white cloth working from the outer edges in towards the center. (If the spot is not completely removed, repeat steps 3–5.)
6 Once the spot has been removed, place dry, absorbent white cloths over the area and press to absorb remaining moisture. *If you do not have a Spot Remover on hand, mix 1/4-teaspoon liquid dish soap with 1 cup cold water and continue as above with steps 3–6.
If the spot persists, keep the area damp and call Your professional cleaner

BPG~

n3uspeed2
12-05-2009, 03:04 AM
Between Cleanings

Vacuum heavy traffic areas 2–3 times a week, and the rest of your carpet once a week. If you have a "carpet rake" ...Use it! If not, you should get one.

Use indoor and outdoor mats at each entrance to reduce the amount of dirt tracked into your home. Be sure to clean these periodically to ensure their utmost effectiveness.

Use a spot remover that is NOT soap based, but is detergent based...Detergent based cleaners will flake up when dry ( whatever you don't get back up ) , as soap based products will remain leaving you the impression that the same spot has returned , but the remaining soap left behind has only became a magnet to dirt to stick to faster, leaving you thinking "That's spot back again!"

Spot Remover:

When removing accidental spots and spills, speed is the key. The longer any substance stays in contact with your carpet, the more it will penetrate into the fibers.
For most household accidents, follow these spot removal steps:

1 Remove any solid materials - a spoon is a great tool for this.

2 Blot the area with a clean, white cloth to absorb as much liquid as possible. Do not use a scrubbing motion, as this can damage carpet fibers. 3 Spray your spot remover directly on the problem area until wet.
(Be sure to test for colorfastness in an inconspicuous area first.)
Wait 1–3 minutes while the Spot Remover loosens the dirt.

4 Gently wipe the spot with a clean, white cloth working from the outer edges in towards the center. (If the spot is not completely removed, repeat steps 3–5.)
6 Once the spot has been removed, place dry, absorbent white cloths over the area and press to absorb remaining moisture. *If you do not have a Spot Remover on hand, mix 1/4-teaspoon liquid dish soap with 1 cup cold water and continue as above with steps 3–6.
If the spot persists, keep the area damp and call Your professional cleaner

BPG~

I wish I knew you a few months ago...I had a home and the tenant's cats destroyed it...

Bigpineguy Retired
12-05-2009, 03:13 AM
You did, you just didn't know it....lol, I have been around for years....check back in the household forums at talk...

BPG~

Bigpineguy Retired
12-05-2009, 03:15 AM
In addition to being a certified Flooring Installer, I also am a manager with a National Carpet Cleaner...

BPG~

n3uspeed2
12-05-2009, 03:16 AM
You did, you just didn't know it....lol, I have been around for years....check back in the household forums at talk...

BPG~

I never travel to different discussions other then the Nf....Now I know.... Im a clean freak at home... I use to use purple power degreaser for all of carpet stains.. always worked.. Thank you for your useful information.

Steven
06-09-2013, 08:15 AM
Your choice of vacuum cleaner also has a lot to do with how good your carpet looks, as some of the cheaper models might even actually damage the carpet. And in my line of work (we own a cleaning company) it's very common to see ruined carpets. In such cases, it's best to have a vaccum that's good at cleaning carpets, such .these.