PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Thrashers moving to Winnipeg

surfinisfun
05-20-2011, 01:56 AM
Great news for hockey in Winnipeg. :thumbsup:

An agreement to sell the National Hockey League’s Atlanta Thrashers to a Winnipeg group which plans to relocate the franchise to the Manitoba capital is done.

Sources confirmed tonight that preparations are being made for an announcement Tuesday, confirming the sale and transfer of the Thrashers to True North Sports and Entertainment, which owns and operates the Manitoba Moose of the American Hockey League and the MTS Centre arena, which would become the NHL team’s new home.

chuck
05-20-2011, 02:06 AM
Great news for hockey in Winnipeg. :thumbsup:

An agreement to sell the National Hockey League’s Atlanta Thrashers to a Winnipeg group which plans to relocate the franchise to the Manitoba capital is done.

Sources confirmed tonight that preparations are being made for an announcement Tuesday, confirming the sale and transfer of the Thrashers to True North Sports and Entertainment, which owns and operates the Manitoba Moose of the American Hockey League and the MTS Centre arena, which would become the NHL team’s new home.

that is great news.

cbc sports along with the winnipeg free press says this is not officially a done deal. could be for a few reasons....but i think its just a matter of dotting a few I's and crossing some T's, at this point.

way to go WINNIPEG they deserve this so much!!

JCO
05-20-2011, 02:08 AM
that is great news.

cbc sports along with the winnipeg free press says this is not officially a done deal. could be for a few reasons....but i think its just a matter of dotting a few I's and crossing some T's, at this point.

way to go WINNIPEG they deserve this so much!!

Great News.. What are they going to call the team??? The Nordiques??? ROFLMAO

chuck
05-20-2011, 02:15 AM
Great News.. What are they going to call the team??? The Nordiques??? ROFLMAO

LMAO..the nords?? they can battle hamilton for the coyotes once they official fold in a year or two..lol

but for now, i assume with 'the jets' a registered trademark name for the city of wpg and nhl...they will assume the same name?

JCO
05-20-2011, 02:20 AM
LMAO..the nords?? they can battle hamilton for the coyotes once they official fold in a year or two..lol

but for now, i assume with 'the jets' a registered trademark name for the city of wpg and nhl...they will assume the same name?

I was just ribbing ya.. It would be nice to see the Jets back.. As for the Nordiques there may not be a new stadium in Quebec, seems the mayor wants to pass a bill where he cant be questioned or sued, and it needs to voted in by all of city hall.. Looks like it wont happen and some of his dirty backroom deals wont pass..
We could use another team in Montreal, half the old Colisee tickets where owned and used by Montrealers.. :tehe:

Nostradamus
05-20-2011, 02:23 AM
I think manitou would be a good name for a team but I hope satfix has a contest for season tikets LOL

chuck
05-20-2011, 02:25 AM
way back when the atlanta flames first folded, calgary bought the franchise and they assumed the same name. but i highly doubt that wpg would assume the 'thrashers'...LMAO!!

Terryl
05-20-2011, 02:28 AM
Ooooohhhh they are not going to be happy with the climate change, some might commute.......

Nostradamus
05-20-2011, 02:32 AM
Ooooohhhh they are not going to be happy with the climate change, some might commute.......

I have to agerre there I came from NS and I am not happy with the climate. I can just imagiune how those southern belles gonna feel

JCO
05-20-2011, 02:37 AM
way back when the atlanta flames first folded, calgary bought the franchise and they assumed the same name. but i highly doubt that wpg would assume the 'thrashers'...LMAO!!

Why not?? It goes well with the wheat crop...LOL Wheat Thrasers.. Combine Wednesdays.. Yeast Saturdays.. Great for promos... Prefered parking for your combine if your a season ticket holder..

Nostradamus
05-20-2011, 02:47 AM
Ok Winnipeg Threshermen and they will be wearing John Deere colors LOL

chuck
05-20-2011, 03:29 AM
just seen this bit of info. more than likely a rumour at this point....

c/p from facebook

Making a big Moosetake? It’d be Moose not Jets in ’12

According to a reliable source within True North Sports & Entertainment, if an NHL team is to take the ice in Winnipeg in 2011-12 they will do so, not as the Winnipeg Jets, but as the Manitoba Moose. They will use the same logo and uniforms as the current AHL franchise.

“True North ...has spent considerable time and money promoting the Moose brand, switching away from that would be like essentially flushing money down the toilet”, said the anonymous tipster.

There is also the question about acquiring the rights to the Jets name and logo from its current owner (NHL?), who is surely still making a nice buck or two off steady sales of retro Winnipeg Jets merchandise.

The Manitoba Moose would become the second AHL identity to be “called up” to the NHL following the Cleveland Barons in the mid-1970′s.

If all of this were to happen the plan would also see the current AHL club relocated to either Saskatoon, SK or Chilliwack, BC.