PDA

View Full Version : Setting up Universal LNBF as Single

TreyWingbat
05-28-2011, 10:01 PM
I recently bought the SpitFire Elite LNB. I guess it is a Universal LNB. But can I set it up as a single LNB if I only want to use the frequency range of 11.7 GHz to 12.2 GHz with a Local Oscillator Frequency of 10.750 GHz? I'm asking this because I read that the 22 kHz tone switching that the universal LNB setup requires interferes with 22 kHz switches and Diseqc switches, and I plan on using both in my setup.

bkr™
05-28-2011, 11:35 PM
Usually you put that lnb on the non-22KHz side of the switch, and usually 22KHz does not interfere w/ DiSEqC switches, different operating functions.

TreyWingbat
05-28-2011, 11:58 PM
Well, the plan is to setup multiple LNB's, and I'm going to use 2 4x1 Spaun Diseqc switches going into a Spaun 22 kHz switch. Spaun stated that this setup would work. So the LNB's would be directly connected into the Diseqc... 5 in total.

bkr™
05-29-2011, 12:20 AM
You should be ok, you cannot beat the Spaun equipment, they are the best.

humberto
05-29-2011, 12:42 AM
from one 22khz and two diseqcs you can have 8 lnbs
there is no interference at all i use 32 output zinwells 22khz along with diseqcs so i can have as many lnbs as posible for all my stbs

TreyWingbat
05-29-2011, 01:03 AM
I read that the Spaun switches can "pass through" 22 kHz fine, and should cause no interference, but I wanted to make sure.

Yes, the Spaun switches are pricey, but you get what you pay for, and the one I own has been nothing but rock solid for me.

I'm looking forward to expanding my motorized system to 5 LNB's (yes, motorized with 5 LNB outputs) - 1 Conical Scaler C-Band BSC-422 LNB setup, 1 Spitfire Elite with an offset skew for the NBC Mux on AMC 1 at 103 degrees, 1 linear AND 1 circular output from the Invacom QPH-031 Quad LNB for most satellites, and 1 lower frequency circular LNB for Anik F3 at 118.7 degrees.

And yes, before you ask, I need help with my satellite addiction!

bkr™
05-29-2011, 01:13 AM
You are just 1 of thousands who have that disease adasatome, no prob, bro...:cheers2: :thumbsup: :cheers2:

Pollypurabred
05-29-2011, 01:55 AM
Spaun and Ecoda will pass a 22Khz signal. Just be sure of your models numbers and were you buy from. Rumor has it that fleabay is advertising Ecoda cheap but it is said to be a Chinese replacement (even misspelling the brand).

TreyWingbat
05-29-2011, 02:36 AM
I am buying from a reputable dealer, so I should be alright with my Spaun switches.

I have an elliptical dish with a rail mount, so I'm hoping all 5 LNB's will work. I do have the Invacom and the lower circular frequency LNB setup already on the rail, and it works great (I get 110, 118.7, 119 without rotating the dish, and 129 using the lower frequency circular LNB offset so the motor doesn't have to rotate as much). I think adding the other 3 LNB's to the setup should be just fine if everything works like I think it should.

TreyWingbat
06-03-2011, 04:18 AM
Here is the plan...

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/3051/5lnbsetup.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/707/5lnbsetup.png/)

bkr™
06-03-2011, 05:07 AM
Looks like you did a bunch of homework, I understand the c-band lnb, invacom used for fta linear lnb and dbs circular lnb, and the fss circular/linear lnb 118.7w, can you explain the nbc and euro uni lnbs? are these different than the standard linear lnbs? Thanks for the post :thumbsup:

Terryl
06-03-2011, 05:16 AM
I wish you the very best of luck trying for "C" band on that dish with the "C" band LNB offset that far.

How big is that dish?

And why in the heck would you want to motorize it with 5 LNB's on it, when 1 LNB will work just fine on a motorized system. (except for 118W)

Last question, what is the black box on the bottom of the drawing?

bettie
06-03-2011, 06:49 AM
I have an elliptical dish with a rail mount, so I'm hoping all 5 LNB's will work. I do have the Invacom and the lower circular frequency LNB setup already on the rail, and it works great (I get 110, 118.7, 119 without rotating the dish, and 129 using the lower frequency circular LNB offset so the motor doesn't have to rotate as much). I think adding the other 3 LNB's to the setup should be just fine if everything works like I think it should.

I can suggest that with the E-85 dish, you leave it fixed and add some lnb's for the sat's you are after.

I would be very surprised if you can get any reasonable C-band on that E-85 dish with the lnb at prime position.....let alone offset.

Also would suggest eliminating that ABC switch at the start of your cascade......if you ever crack one of them open....you'll see the connecting wires are the thickness of a human hair...there are good AB switches with wire the same thickness as RG6, if you must use one.

I have attached a couple pics of my E-85 fixed and 1 meter Winegard motorized with multi lnb's......C-band was still limited on the 1 meter.

Terryl
06-03-2011, 06:59 AM
If that is an ABC switch then I wouldn't recommend it, you can FUBAR a Diseqc switch real fast if you don't turn the receiver(s) totally off first.

bkr™
06-03-2011, 07:49 AM
Holy $h*t that is a model 3210 ABC switch ( had to blow the pic up). Why would they put that there? The Spaun SUR 211F should be the starting point as an A/B switch.

TreyWingbat
06-05-2011, 06:31 PM
Well, I'm looking to expand my motorized system to 5 LNB's - 1 Conical Scaler C-Band BSC-422 LNB setup, 1 Spitfire Elite with an offset skew for the NBC Mux on AMC 1 at 103 degrees, 1 linear AND 1 circular output from the Invacom QPH-031 Quad LNB for most satellites, 1 lower frequency circular LNB for Anik F3 at 118.7 degrees, and another Universal LNB for the fun of it I guess (Euro).

I've already got the Invacom LNB and the Anik F3 one setup, and they work great. I guess the NBC Mux uses a strange skew, so I will have to set that one up that way and will use the SpitFire Elite for it because of its 0.1 db rating (the NBC Mux is difficult to get from what I read). I am trying the C-Band LNB with the conical scalar ring, and it won't be in the center of the dish, but if the dish is designed properly, should this matter, because the signals will bounce back off it according to its location on the rail and where I stop the motor. The other Universal (Euro) LNB is just one I have lying around, and I'm going to put it up there.

I'm not sure what kind of results to expect - not hoping for too much I guess. But that ABC switch is there so I can select the output to 3 different receivers. Right now, I have an AB switch and it works well (also made by Channel Master), so I thought an ABC switch was the way to go because I bought another receiver for DVB-S2 signals and 4:2:2 feeds.

With my current setup, I get pretty much everything I want. I guess I just want to try more things and see if a few more channels are possible, and that's basically due to curiosity to see what else can be achieved.

TreyWingbat
08-19-2011, 02:44 AM
Well, I finally got around to start setting this up. I've got the NBC mux going at 103. I set up my LNB offset on the rail, and it was a little difficult to get the skew right, but now that I've tweaked things, all NBC timezone channels come in great in HD, plus there's 5-6 occasional feeds showing various things throughout the day, all in HD as well!

Next thing to try out is the conical scalar ring on the C-Band LNB.