PDA

View Full Version : Need a suggestion to remove oxidized siding chalk off of brick

Chubsnub
06-21-2011, 03:41 PM
Am going to repaint my aluminum siding which I posted for ideas in another thread but this is a different problem. Over the years now the the oxidizing paint chalk of the siding has pasted itself on the brick below the siding and is like it is baked on the brick would anyone have a idea on a product to loosen this chalk. have use a gas high powered power washer with next to zero result need something to loosen the chalk, Thanks in advance

stman
06-21-2011, 05:47 PM
Am going to repaint my aluminum siding which I posted for ideas in another thread but this is a different problem. Over the years now the the oxidizing paint chalk of the siding has pasted itself on the brick below the siding and is like it is baked on the brick would anyone have a idea on a product to loosen this chalk. have use a gas high powered power washer with next to zero result need something to loosen the chalk, Thanks in advance

That usually responds better to a stiff brush and detergent. I'd try that on a section. If that doesn't work, you'll have to use an (muriatic) acid solution. If you use the acid, be careful and wear protective goggles and clothing. It's also a good idea to have an emergency wash station setup nearby, even if it's nothing more than a basin of clean water.

Chubsnub
06-21-2011, 06:26 PM
Thanks stman I was thinking I might have to get a wire brush or a wire brush attachment for a drill and scrub the brick that way this is not smooth brick it is jagged edged brick, was just wondering on a detergent to loosen the chalk, for anyone in the future that see's this problem happening don't let it get too baked on the brick before you react this is going to require a ton of time and elbow grease to get removed, Thanks again.

MeSat_FTA
06-25-2011, 01:37 AM
Try the TSP in a small area. Also try vinegar as well.

This may be a trial basis to find something that actually works.

The problem with brick is that it is porous and if the paint chalk is being absorbed with water, then it may not come out that easy.

Another option may be Oven Cleaner or baking soda.

Let sit and then rinse with lots of soap and then water.

ccadue
06-26-2011, 03:55 PM
I also would try the muratic acid as that is what I was going to suggest.

torpainter
06-26-2011, 04:10 PM
you can use a small weed and garden sprayer for the job to spray the acid then a wire brush
make sure you use correct ppe(safety glasses etc)
Also I have heard oven cleaner works too but have not tried it

Terryl
06-26-2011, 04:55 PM
Try SAKRETE Concrete & Asphalt Cleaner, it should work.

Google it.