PDA

View Full Version : Nate Marquardt suspended and no longer part of UFC

kiryjuan
06-27-2011, 12:04 AM
Nate Marquardt is suspended and White say he is not longer member of the UFC and he never will came back.

What happen?

chuck
06-27-2011, 12:26 AM
i don't know what happen, but he is scheduled to fight in 1/2 an hour..lol....musta got caught with his hand in the cookie jar!

dishuser
06-27-2011, 12:32 AM
i don't know what happen, but he is scheduled to fight in 1/2 an hour..lol....musta got caught with his hand in the cookie jar!

from yesterday

Marquardt scratched from UFC on Versus 4; Kongo-Barry headlines, Story gets Brenneman

PITTSBURGH – Onetime UFC middleweight title challenger Nate Marquardt will not be making his welterweight debut this weekend.

Marquardt is a late scratch from Sunday's UFC on Versus 4 event, and opponent Rick Story (13-3 MMA, 6-1 UFC) now instead meets Charlie Brenneman (12-2 MMA, 2-1 UFC) in the event's co-headliner.

With the late change, a highly anticipated heavyweight bout between Pat Barry (6-2 MMA, 3-2 UFC) and Cheick Kongo (15-6-2 MMA, 8-4-1 UFC) has now been promoted to main-event status.

The reason for Marquardt's last-minute withdrawal, mere hours before he was scheduled to hit the scales at the event's official weigh-ins, wasn't immediately evident. However, Marquardt's camp did say it is temporary and his future still lies at 170 pounds.

"Nate is really disappointed," a representative said. "He really was looking forward to making his welterweight debut, and he plans to be back in there as soon as possible."

UFC on Versus 4 takes place Sunday at CONSOL Energy Center in Pittsburgh

Story is Brenneman's third opponent for UFC on Versus 4. His original opponent, Matt Riddle, withdrew from the card in May while replacement foe T.J. Grant fell ill earlier this week and was also forced off the card.

A Pennsylvania native, Brenneman looks to build on a January decision win over Amilcar Alves. The victory came after a TKO loss to Johny Hendricks at UFC 117 that snapped a six-fight win streak for "The Spaniard."

Story also was a replacement, stepping in on short notice for an injured Anthony Johnson, who originally was scheduled to face Marquardt in the evening's featured bout. Story, who is riding a six-fight octagon winning streak, recently notched the biggest win of his career with a UFC 130 victory over Thiago Alves.

Dana White says Nate Marquardt's UFC days are done following UFC on Versus 4 scratch

PITTSBURGH – Onetime UFC middleweight title challenger Nate Marquardt (31-10-2 MMA, 10-4 UFC) had hoped to drop to the welterweight division.

Instead, he's the one who's been dropped.

Less than one hour after the UFC officially announced that Marquardt has been scratched from Sunday's UFC on Versus 4 event, UFC president Dana White informed the world Marquardt also has been released from the organization.

"I'm sure you heard that Nate Marquardt is out," White said in a short video clip posted on his Twitter account. "It's true. He failed his medicals. Not only is he out of this fight, out of the main event on Versus, he will no longer be with the UFC."

Neither White nor Marquardt's management team were immediately available when contacted for comment.

The announcement comes on the heels of a hectic afternoon in which sources said Marquardt "did not receive medical clearance" and was pulled from a planned main-event bout with Rick Story. Charlie Brenneman was quickly tapped as a last-minute replacement, and a heavyweight bout between Cheick Kongo and Pat Barry was promoted to the evening's featured slot.

Specifics on the reasoning for the scratch have not yet been announced.

"Nate is really disappointed," a representative said. "He really was looking forward to making his welterweight debut, and he plans to be back in there as soon as possible."

Unfortunately for Marquardt, "there" currently doesn't appear to be the octagon.

from today

All parties still silent on Nate Marquardt's failed medical clearance

PITTSBURGH – Why Nate Marquardt was scratched from tonight's UFC on Versus 4 main event with Rick Story remains a mystery.

A day after Marquardt failed to receive medical clearance – and subsequently was released from the organization – UFC officials, Marquardt's representatives and the Pennsylvania State Athletic Commission still remain largely silent.

That could change tonight, though details are expected to be sparse.

Marquardt officially was pulled from tonight's fight, which takes place at Pittsburgh's CONSOL Energy Center, just prior to Saturday's official fighter weigh-ins. Marquardt, who was dropping from middleweight to welterweight for the first time in his UFC career, failed to receive medical clearance, though no one would say exactly why.

Charlie Brenneman then was scheduled as a replacement fighter, and his bout with Story was demoted to the co-main event slot (while Pat Barry vs. Cheick Kongo was promoted to headliner status). A few hours later, UFC president Dana White posted a video message via Twitter in which he explained that Marquardt is done with the UFC.

"I'm sure you heard that Nate Marquardt is out," White said in the clip. "It's true. He failed his medicals. Not only is he out of this fight, out of the main event on Versus, he will no longer be with the UFC."

When contacted, White declined to go into details. So, too, have Marquardt's management team at Alchemist Management, though a statement is expected to be given to reporter Ariel Helwani on a pre-event show that airs tonight on Versus at 8 p.m. ET (5 p.m. PT).

Meanwhile, Gregory Sirb of the Pennsylvania State Athletic Commission said he will address the media at CONSOL Energy Center at 4 p.m. ET. However, a source said that few details, other than a possible suspension for Marquardt, are expected to be announced during the address.

With all parties' silence, speculation has run wild. For his part, Marquardt took to Twitter to apologize to fans but offered few details.

"I'm sorry to all my fans and the UFC for not passing the medicals for tonight's fight," he tweeted earlier today. "I'm heart broken I couldn't fight, but I will be back."

So, long story short: All's quiet on the fighting front.

chuck
06-27-2011, 07:47 PM
so it was failed medical clearence. this i would assume drugs...roids perhaps?

dishuser
07-02-2011, 01:57 AM
LAS VEGAS – After failing to pass his medicals at UFC on Versus 4 and being pulled from the night's main event, veteran UFC fighter Nate Marquardt was released from the organization.

Afterward, we learned he was pulled from the June 26 card because of his issues with his testosterone-replacement therapy.

Today, UFC president Dana White said the release followed a series of issues, most notably a TRT regiment that may have been used in a "performance-enhancing" capacity.

"There's a difference between testosterone-replacement therapy and where you get it to a level where it's a performance-enhancer," White said. "I'm not a doctor, so I'm not going to pretend I even remotely know what I'm talking. But I know you get to certain level where it's more than testosterone-replacement therapy and trying to get back to normal levels."

In a pre-event screen, Marquardt tested outside the allowable limits for UFC on Versus 4, which took place at Pittsburgh's CONSOL Energy Center. (Pennsylvania native Charlie Brenneman stepped in as a replacement and upset Rick Story in the Versus-televised headliner.) While other UFC officials knew of Marquardt's testosterone use, which the fighter said he began back in August, White said he only learned of it a few days before the event.

Coupled with a 2005 failed drug test (due to an anabolic steroid) and New Jersey denying Marqaurdt's testosterone exemption because of elevated levels after a UFC 128 fight, White said the fighter has already burned his second chance.

"To me this is his fourth chance," White said. "This is a fourth chance. He tested positive before, and then apparently he was on suspension with New Jersey because his levels were high. Then he comes into [Pittsburgh] and doesn't pass his medicals. Is that a fourth chance or a second chance? It sounds like a fourth chance to me."

"The difference between Chael (Sonnen) and Marquardt is that we can talk about everything with the Chael situation. We can't with Marquardt. ... This isn't the first time. Everyone's like, 'Oh, give him a second chance.' This would be like the fourth time."

And though Marquardt is a fan favorite who's received an outpouring support since his release, White said he's sticking to his guns.

"Nate's done," said White, who wouldn't say if Marquardt instead could fight in the UFC's sister promotion, Strikeforce. "I'm done with Nate. Nate is a really nice, sweet, humble guy. But the facts are the facts."

cerebrium
07-03-2011, 08:41 PM
They have lost good fighters due to this issue.

kymira
08-04-2011, 09:53 PM
Apparantly he's with BAMMA now and last I heard they were trying to set up a Paul Daily fight. With Daily losing recently to Woodley, the fight kinda loses its luster though. It would still be an interesting fight IMO, up until Nate takes Semtex to the ground which is pretty much the blueprint for most of the brits.

VJ9A
11-13-2011, 12:52 AM
Everyone at that level in the game is using something. Nate needs to learn how to clean up better or buy a better substance.
If you got rid of everyone that ever used a performance enhancing drug you wouldn't have a single fighter left.
Dana shows the mentality of the failed boxer he is.

toenail
02-28-2012, 02:55 PM
im sure most of you know but he is now part of strikeforce and if he does good there it seems he should be back in the ufc in no time

Sly Dog
03-06-2012, 08:31 AM
too bad. he was alright