PDA

View Full Version : how to set up 6 foot mesh dish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

monkeyu
08-10-2011, 06:23 PM
Hey costactc!! how do u hook up and install 6foot dish??? I no i need new lnb and also new arm for it!! i am going to use it with nano premium for fta channels also hope to use it and replace my dish farm and get dn and bv lol!! help me out bud?? fill me in all the equipment i need and installation! i am newbie to the c ku band! thank full for everyones help in the motor section!!

Costactc
08-11-2011, 04:58 PM
For starters you'll need to find a good spot that is clear to the south. Digging a hole is also required, where you live will determine the depth. I live in Canada so the frost line is 4', my 2 big dish setups had holes of 41/2' respectively. Where do you hail from monkeyu?

monkeyu
08-11-2011, 06:27 PM
Okay!! looks like ill have to clean some trees to have clear site of the south! I also hail in Canada costactc! So what else do do in the mean time? Also all the other questions i asked u ? Thanks

Gold
08-11-2011, 07:28 PM
Are you wanting to watch Dish & Bev on a BUD?
That would be a lot more advanced install.

Leave the Nano on the offset dish, & Buy a good Coolsat 5000 or 6000 for True FTA. A whole lot cheaper & a whole lot better. My best receiver is a coolsat 6000, My second best is a coolsat 5000, & really they are equal, I just like the looks of the 6000 better.

I would start with a 10' if you can. You wont get HD on a 6' dish

Costactc
08-11-2011, 08:38 PM
Hey costactc!! how do u hook up and install 6foot dish??? I no i need new lnb and also new arm for it!! i am going to use it with nano premium for fta channels also hope to use it and replace my dish farm and get dn and bv lol!! help me out bud?? fill me in all the equipment i need and installation! i am newbie to the c ku band! thank full for everyones help in the motor section!!

You will need a c/ku band lnbf, 18" or 24" actuator, ribbon cable, positioner and a receiver. I would recommend a Manhattan rs-1933, openbox s 9 or an azbox. I do agree with Gold though, I would go for a 10' install to be able to pull in fta hd channels.

satchick
08-11-2011, 08:57 PM
You'll also have to dig a trench to the house to run cable, I would highly recommend two runs, so that you have a spare in case one fails.... You will also want to put the cables in plastic conduit where it comes up out of the ground, makes for a professional looking install, and protects the cable from weed eater damage. Install the conduit before pouring the concrete for the pole though.

As shown in my drawing, the hole should also be bell shaped, to prevent the concrete base from floating right up out of the ground during heavy rainfall. It's also a very good idea to either weld a piece of rebar to the bottom of the pole, or drill a hole and put a long bolt or piece of rebar through it. This will keep the pole from potentially spinning in the concrete.

monkeyu
08-12-2011, 01:27 AM
Okay lots work to do! and ordering lol!! Thanks costactc! ill be asking u for more info lol!! Ya augoldfinger i was wanting to get bv dn on my bud! also get true fta! Thanks satchick !! But i am runing ordinary sat cable to my bud right/ not all the old wiring right? also i remember that i need vbox to make it move with my nano premium1 is that correct?

satchick
08-12-2011, 02:20 AM
But i am runing ordinary sat cable to my bud right/ not all the old wiring right?
What do you mean by old wiring? If you can get enough satellite ribbon cable to do the job, use that. It'll make things easier/neater than running a bunch of individual wires.

You'll need to run at a minimum:

Two RG-6 coax cables (I would recommend running a third as a spare)
Two 16ga wires for motor power and ground
Three 22ga wires for the position sensor: +5v, pulse, and ground

Some people use two runs of THWN for power, and then sprinkler cable for +5/pulse/ground.

Ribbon cable:

http://www.thesatelliteshop.net/ribbon-cable-by-the-foot-c-band-satellite-p-845.html

also i remember that i need vbox to make it move with my nano premium1 is that correct?
Yes, you will need a V-box or similar device to move the dish.

Ya augoldfinger i was wanting to get bv dn on my bud! also get true fta!
Using the BUD for DN/BEV isn't a good idea, the big dishes aren't precise enough to properly receive those higher frequency signals. Since the BUD will be moving around to various satellites you should keep those ones on a fixed dish if you plan on using multiple receivers or have a subscription.

Gold
08-12-2011, 04:08 AM
Here are some pix of a 10' BUD I recently installed

http://www.satfix.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=11145&d=1313121691

http://www.satfix.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=11146&d=1313121768

http://www.satfix.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=11148&d=1313121814

http://www.satfix.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=11149&d=1313121862

http://www.satfix.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=11150&d=1313121900

satchick
08-12-2011, 04:18 AM
Excellent job Gold, much nicer than many professional jobs you see.

Gold
08-12-2011, 12:49 PM
Satchick is right.
Dish & Bev are intended to be on fixed dishes & switches...It makes for much faster channel changing. Plus that way in your receiver guide menu, you just scroll and select your channel. Put up one big elliptical & a multi lnb bracket. You will be much happier

Going back to a BUD bigger is better & you can probably find a 10' for next to nothing...With a 10', there is so much up there that's free. It will keep you occupied for a long time.

If you try and start adding a circular lnb to a BUD it's gonna give you constant headaches, & I would think a 11250 circular would be near impossible, even for advanced FTA'rs. A linear 10750 fq is hard enough to catch with a BUD. 10 MPH wind will cause pixelating. I get much better Ku signal/strength on my 36" then my 10' BUD. If I want to watch the History channel, or the Huntington beach channel & it's windy, I always switch to my motorized 36" with a DMX522.

seahappy
08-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Some really great and complete advise however when I installed mine back in the good old days (1981/1982) I installed one and one half inch PVC conduit !! The costs are minimal and the rewards are great ... During the many years of use some changes were required and the existing plastic conduit from house crawl space to dish sure made it easy ...... Lol

Costactc
08-12-2011, 07:14 PM
I have 5 dishes all doing different things. My 10' bud is strickly used for c band sats, 6' solid is for ku, 36" motorised for 110 and 119, elliptical for 91, 110+119 and an 18" dish for 81+91.

monkeyu
08-12-2011, 07:25 PM
Ya! I see all ur points on the dn bev! ill drop that idea and just keep it with free to air!! and use my new rotor and 1 meter dish i am getting!! But back to the bud! is 6 still good to 10 inch for now? Also i dont see any pics of ur 10inch augoldfinger?? Costactc how big of space do i need for mu c band and how far south and west do i need to hit it all? I was wondering if i found an old reciever to move the c band would it replace getting v box?

Costactc
08-12-2011, 07:48 PM
I would give yourself about a 10' x 10' space for a 10' bud, dig at least 4' for the frost line, my arc is from 11w-125w on the bud and finally the answer is yes, an old ird or 4dtv receiver will move your dish. I'm using a 4dtv receiver with my 6' solid, thanks to DD.

Terryl
08-12-2011, 07:51 PM
I have 5 dishes all doing different things. My 10' bud is strickly used for c band sats, 6' solid is for ku, 36" motorised for 110 and 119, elliptical for 91, 110+119 and an 18" dish for 81+91.

You should see what happens when he points them at each other........Huuuuweee watch out....Look Ma I can see my self....

Terryl
08-12-2011, 07:55 PM
Some really great and complete advise however when I installed mine back in the good old days (1981/1982) I installed one and one half inch PVC conduit !! The costs are minimal and the rewards are great ... During the many years of use some changes were required and the existing plastic conduit from house crawl space to dish sure made it easy ...... Lol

I use EMT conduit (metal) under ground as the gofers around here love to chew through the plastic stuff, I use water tight connectors (with pipe dope) and pipe wrap, keeps things high and dry

Gold
08-12-2011, 08:12 PM
Ya! I see all ur points on the dn bev! ill drop that idea and just keep it with free to air!! and use my new rotor and 1 meter dish i am getting!! But back to the bud! is 6 still good to 10 inch for now? Also i dont see any pics of ur 10inch augoldfinger?? Costactc how big of space do i need for mu c band and how far south and west do i need to hit it all? I was wondering if i found an old reciever to move the c band would it replace getting v box?

I'll try & attach them. I thought I gave everyone permission to view them???

Let me know Monkey:thumbsup:

I use EMT conduit (metal) under ground as the gofers around here love to chew through the plastic stuff, I use water tight connectors (with pipe dope) and pipe wrap, keeps things high and dry

Gofers, They just don't give you any respect
http://www.satfix.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=11167&d=1313179875

monkeyu
08-12-2011, 09:56 PM
Got to see the pics augoldfinger!! I agree with satchick!!! I am so far stuck with 6 bud for now!! But anything can happen down the road!! all my parts are on the way!! Ill be all done and waiting to finish up the job!! It will be how to install thats the next question lol!!! I am curious! if i get 4dtv reciever does it give u free to air? or do i just use it to move the bud? OH ya if so how do i hook it up to use viewsat or nfusion to get the channels? I am full of questions lol!!!

monkeyu
08-12-2011, 09:57 PM
Terryl thats hillarious!!!!!!! nice humor!!!

Gold
08-12-2011, 11:13 PM
Got to see the pics augoldfinger!! I agree with satchick!!! I am so far stuck with 6 bud for now!! But anything can happen down the road!! all my parts are on the way!! Ill be all done and waiting to finish up the job!! It will be how to install thats the next question lol!!! I am curious! if i get 4dtv reciever does it give u free to air? or do i just use it to move the bud? OH ya if so how do i hook it up to use viewsat or nfusion to get the channels? I am full of questions lol!!!

A 4DTV receiver will give you a little FTA.
IMO get a Coolsat 6000/5000 & a VBox your talking less then $100 for the receiver & VBox

monkeyu
08-12-2011, 11:56 PM
Okay will do augoldfinger!! but i am having hard time finding vbox and coolsat6ooo?5ooo! I have looked on ebay.ca and nothing lol! Can u show me some pics and also show me how to hook it up and install the cbanb outside and to put it in the right direction too please thank u??? Also i will be pm u about the last chat on rotor!!

buggyman
08-13-2011, 12:13 AM
I've got a 10 foot SAMI hooked to a GI 420 4DTV, a 7.5 foot looking at Bev only. Which is worthless at this time. I only use satellites that are worth a hoot. I havent used my 10 footer in several years. Because: There is no actually free viable programs on it. And any real fta programmimg is ridiculous.

Gold
08-13-2011, 12:08 PM
Okay will do augoldfinger!! but i am having hard time finding vbox and coolsat6ooo?5ooo! I have looked on ebay.ca and nothing lol! Can u show me some pics and also show me how to hook it up and install the cbanb outside and to put it in the right direction too please thank u??? Also i will be pm u about the last chat on rotor!!

You should be able to find a Coolsat on ePay pretty easy. Keep checking...I only see two for USA right now
Hook up is simple
1 RG6 from the LNBF to VBox
1 RG6 from VBox to receiver
4 wires from the Actuator to the VBox

satchick
08-13-2011, 01:51 PM
Here's a good link:

http://www.satellitedish.com/cbandoc.htm