PDA

View Full Version : New BUD setup questions....

shadetree1
08-23-2011, 12:42 PM
I have been given a working Uniden system with a 10' unimesh and a frozen motor. I want to install and use it with my CW LMC-4000HD for C/Ku DVB-S/S2 with a very limited $ budget more like almost none.

Here are some questions I need help with before I proceed with this:

1. Suggestions for a single C/Ku LNB. The BSC621 or WS 741U or others?

2. How long of a new cable run do you think this will support? Tuner info: Band selection 22 KHz, Polarity selection 14/18 V, Tone burst mode, DiSEqC 1.0, LNB current support maximal 400 mA.

3. What motor and controller suggestions to use? The V-Box X looks nice with the TA-24 Actuator.

4. The dish mount swings a flat parallel plane. How will this follow the H to H arc?

5. How to sell this new yard ornament idea to the Wife?

Thank you for any help!

bolistic
08-23-2011, 03:26 PM
lol make a gazebo out of it

Gold
08-23-2011, 04:05 PM
I have been given a working Uniden system with a 10' unimesh and a frozen motor. I want to install and use it with my CW LMC-4000HD for C/Ku DVB-S/S2 with a very limited $ budget more like almost none.
Get an Openbox S10, & a Vbox to move the dish.
Are you sure that the CW4000 can decode DVB-S2?

Here are some questions I need help with before I proceed with this:

1. Suggestions for a single C/Ku LNB. The BSC621 or WS 741U or others?
Personally I would choose the DMX741, not the 741U

2. How long of a new cable run do you think this will support? Tuner info: Band selection 22 KHz, Polarity selection 14/18 V, Tone burst mode, DiSEqC 1.0, LNB current support maximal 400 mA.
I have one BUD at 200' & another at 250'...I believe that another member reported going 350'

3. What motor and controller suggestions to use? The V-Box X looks nice with the TA-24 Actuator.
If you speak Spanish well, get the 24" if you speak English get the 18"

4. The dish mount swings a flat parallel plane. How will this follow the H to H arc?
Once it is set, it will turn on the arc & track the sky day in and day out...Maybe with a few minor adjustments now & then, but even with a 24" actuator you will not get horizon to horizon

1000+ channels many DYI, cooking, & shopping networks:tehe:

Thank you for any help!

I posted my answers in red above...

shadetree1
08-23-2011, 06:45 PM
Thanks augoldfinger,

The CW LMC decodes DVD-S2 with the TT-budget S2-1600 tuner.

1. DMX741, I'll check it out.

2. Wow, maybe up to 200+ feet, the cable length is what worries me the most for my location.

3. My Spanish is not so good so the sweep is smaller for just english birds.

4. OK, I'm still thinking of a regular H-H with offset.

5. Well with a longer than expected cable run I may be able to pass this idea after all.

Thanks again!

Gold
08-23-2011, 07:04 PM
I put my cable in conduit. Just get Rg6 with a solid copper or Rg11 & don't worry about going over 200' I've seen on other boards members claim to go over 400'

Offset dishes are great & they serve a good purpose, but you get less then half the channels. Most of my TV time is spend watch C band. That's where all the good DVB-S2 is found. Plus if you ever want to sub the Programming center has great prices on packages. They beat Di$h hand's down...except currently no HD:disappointed::cry:
I have a terrific 1.2m commercial dish & seldom use it. It comes in handy if I'm watching Ku on a windy night...BUD's are not the best for Ku anyway

shadetree1
08-23-2011, 07:45 PM
I put my cable in conduit. Just get Rg6 with a solid copper or Rg11 & don't worry about going over 200' I've seen on other boards members claim to go over 400'

I have a spool of triple shield RG6 and the conduit is a good idea.

Offset dishes are great & they serve a good purpose, but you get less then half the channels. Most of my TV time is spend watch C band. That's where all the good DVB-S2 is found. Plus if you ever want to sub the Programming center has great prices on packages. They beat Di$h hand's down...except currently no HD:disappointed::cry:

That is what has me excited about this.

I have a terrific 1.2m commercial dish & seldom use it. It comes in handy if I'm watching Ku on a windy night...BUD's are not the best for Ku anyway

OK I'm ready to get started on this.

Costactc
08-23-2011, 07:47 PM
C band all the way, I rarely watch ku because all of the good s2 channels are on c, as my good bud Gold previously mentioned.

iq180
08-23-2011, 11:20 PM
conduit on each end of your rg6 good idea / conduit all the way bad idea because conduit holds water so in a year or two your rg6 will be in a pipe full of water and
that cant be good.

shadetree1
08-23-2011, 11:39 PM
Good point, with freezing and all. I was contemplating conduit all the way with enough room to pull some other cables or repair them some day.

I'm still not sure if DiSEqC will carry 200+ feet?

Gold
08-24-2011, 12:50 AM
conduit on each end of your rg6 good idea / conduit all the way bad idea because conduit holds water so in a year or two your rg6 will be in a pipe full of water and
that cant be good.

Well, I don't quite understand that...
I can guarantee mine gets water in it, & that it leaks out...

satchick
08-24-2011, 01:04 AM
Conduit isn't meant to be waterproof, it's to protect the cable from physical damage. You still need to use cable rated for wet location when using buried conduit, this goes for both electrical and communications. If you're really concerned, drill a weep hole at the lowest point. Personally, I ran everything in PVC conduit for ease of repair, and because we have lots of rocks in the soil here that will destroy a direct bury cable in a couple of years.

I find the bigger mesh dishes are better looking than a solid dish, even a much smaller one... Just do a nice clean install, paint the pole and any rusty parts of the dish, don't have exposed cables hanging everywhere, and don't leave the yard a mess :P

shadetree1
08-24-2011, 11:54 AM
Well, I don't quite understand that...
I can guarantee mine gets water in it, & that it leaks out...

I figured with all the freezing and shifting, I couldn't pull a cable later any way.

My shop has flooded Cat5e in cantex to it and years later I tried to pull a RG6 to it but no go from frosting, but I'm still piping it because of all the limestone.

Gold
08-24-2011, 03:40 PM
I figured with all the freezing and shifting, I couldn't pull a cable later any way.

My shop has flooded Cat5e in cantex to it and years later I tried to pull a RG6 to it but no go from frosting, but I'm still piping it because of all the limestone.

What size was this conduit to start, & how deep did you bury it?
I have mine in 2 1/2" burried 18". I drive a 20,000 pound loader over it all the time. If that isn't enough I drive my 12,000 forklift over it.
All electrical lines from Laclede Electric Co op are put in pvc conduit in SW Missouri...Minimum requirement is 2'...They last for who knows how long

shadetree1
08-24-2011, 05:18 PM
It was 1" carlon but about 2 feet deep was all we could go because of the the limestone/gypsum layers close to the surface.

My property is at the remains of coal, gypsum, and limestone mines not reclaimeded very well back from the 40s.

Nice wilderness and outcroppings like goat country as long as you don't need to dig.

I think larger we suffice as I put the utilities to my place underground in 2" and have had no problems.

I'll post back when I have it going.

satchick
08-24-2011, 05:29 PM
The Carlon I know is orange flex..... That stuff will collapse if you bury it... You need to use solid schedule 40 PVC...

shadetree1
08-24-2011, 05:47 PM
The Carlon I know is orange flex..... That stuff will collapse if you bury it... You need to use solid schedule 40 PVC...

This is 21' bell end uv-gray pvc sch40 high crush conduit.

Carlon is the company name and makes differentrent types of plastic baised electrical products.

Sorry I'm just use to calling it by Carlon, kinda like using the word jello.