PDA

View Full Version : Best analog Cable splitters?

RonnieT
09-15-2011, 01:37 PM
I am having a problem with bad reception from my cable. At times it is the best I ever watched , other times it is as bad as a far away Air antenna.
I have changed all the cable and ends to the latest and best compression fittings. Caps on all not in use cables, with the resistor caps.
Changed splitters, I am in hopes that it is one of the splitters.All connections are tight and there are multiple copper grounds ,all good. One of my splitters is outdoors where the cable comes in , out of direct weather but still subject to heat and cold.
I suspect it or the temp. changes.
Is there a "best" outdoor analog splitter? I have one incoming line and 4 outputs in use and one internet output on this one site. 5 output total here.
I do not suspect the incoming line or hardware at the pole.
Thanks

satchick
09-15-2011, 07:42 PM
You could have a low signal issue, does this happen on all TV's, or just one or two? Also, how many splitters are in use? Those things add considerable amounts of loss to a system, and when combined with a long length of cable you can have some issues.

Just to make sure that it's not the incoming feed, remove the outside splitter and replace it with a barrel connector, connecting to one of the inside lines. Doing this will connect the incoming cable feed directly to a TV, which will rule out problems on the cable company's end.

There's not really a "best" splitter, as long as you stay away from the really cheap ones from the dollar store or where ever. If your issues are caused by weak signal, you may want to install a distribution amplifier, which is a powered splitter. If you end up going that route, make sure you get one with a return path for the cable modem, some of the cheap ones are one-way only.

Terryl
09-15-2011, 08:19 PM
With a 4 way split your loosing 12 to 15 dB of signal, but that shouldn't be a problem as the cable drop is at a 0 dBMv level, that should be enough for most 3 or 4 way splits, if the cable company did the job then they would have adjusted the down link level to compensate for the splitter.

Or did you do the job?

RonnieT
09-15-2011, 09:17 PM
I bought a Motorola powered splitter last year and it worked good, AC/Dc powered thru a coax. Quit using it after some visits from CC taking my cable down at the pole and using some meters to check...

Terryl
09-15-2011, 09:46 PM
You cant adjust the down link signal level it has to be done by them, they have set it to a single drop level, that's why your having problems, your running too much stuff on a single drop level, if they said your amp was feeding back on their system then there is not much you can do.

They would have to set the level and install the drops to get it right, this is done to keep the signals at a normal level through out the house.

Adding too much stuff down line from the drop will show back up on the engineering console as a low level, thats why they came out to play with the main line.

And it looks like your splitting and then splitting again, this is not good, every tap will add 3 dB of loss to the system RF voltage, at a 2 way split you will loose 1/2 of your RF voltage, add another tap and you add 3 more dB.

Your using splitters that don't have connections to them, even though you not connected to that port it add loss to the system, find a 5 way CATV splitter with one port for an internet return, they make them, you might have to pay a bit for one but that the best way to go.

Check along the line of Pico-Macom, they make the CATV stuff.

And keep your coax runs as short as possible, and use good RG-6 quad coax it will have the less loss for your application.

You can get a CATV drop amp but it has to be powered by the main drop, they would have to set it up, not a good idea.

Crazy Horse
09-15-2011, 09:48 PM
try adding some grounding blocks to your lines both cable and sat.........

Terryl
09-15-2011, 09:52 PM
Wont do any good, he has too many splits on the system and the systems not setup for it.

And FYI, CATV drops are already grounded by the company at the main drop point to the house..

Terryl
09-15-2011, 10:19 PM
More info for RonnyT,

You said you loose internet, where in the system is the cable modem, is it at the end of a long run of coax?

If so then move it to the closest point to the main drop, then run CAT5 cable from it to the PC/receiver, CAT5 cable can run a lot further then coax, I have one run at 500 feet on a gigabit connection.

RonnieT
09-16-2011, 12:23 PM
Yes I have no less than 4 Grounding blocks on CATV and sat dishes.
Will look for a 5 way with return path and a 3 way for the attic. I dont uderstand the GHZ or MHZ ratings on the splitters and which is best . I do understand the -db of each port which is the loss of signal and a 2 way has a certain amount and a 3 way has more etc. which cant be helped.
So what would be the use of a Splitter /Amp if it does like the one I had and the CC has trouble with it powering down thier line? The Amp is supposed to be placed at the incoming drop.

satchick
09-16-2011, 02:22 PM
One thing that may have been going on with your amp is that it was amplified in both directions. You'll want to make sure that whatever amp you install only has a passive return path.

When you say it was powered through the coax, do you mean you had a power supply in the house connected to a cable outlet to power the amp, or was the cable company's drop supplying power? If you were relying on the cable drop to supply the power, you will have problems.

Another question, why was the first splitter located outside? If it's not practical to put it inside, they sell plastic enclosures to keep the splitter out of the weather. I don't know why the cable company never installed one when they did the install...

RonnieT
09-16-2011, 02:45 PM
The CC did install a splitter a 2 or 3 way back when the CC ran new cable drops thru the town. <br />
but as all of us do we add TVs , internet etc. so I upgraded the cables thru the house and new...

RonnieT
09-27-2011, 01:47 AM
What is the differnce between a splitter and a tap? would it be any advantage to use a tap in either of these 2 places That I have the splitter in now?

Pollypurabred
10-18-2011, 09:07 PM
Probably a little late for your use but I was curious:
http://www.ehow.com/facts_7725619_cable-tap-vs-splitter.html
The Tap:

A distribution cable is the main cable system seen on power lines that delivers cable services. A tap is used to 'tap' into this distribution cable creating a drop line that runs from the distribution cable to the home or business.

Splitters:

Once the cable signal is connected into the home or business, a splitter is used to create a distribution system to send the signal into various locations through the home or business. The splitter allows the tap to be connected into one side and one or multiple cables connected into the other.

Read more: Cable Tap Vs. Splitter:
http://www.ehow.com/facts_7725619_cable-tap-vs-splitter.html#ixzz1bAb6xZuL