PDA

View Full Version : Birdog USB Plus Problem

Pollypurabred
09-18-2011, 11:14 AM
xcuse me beforehand about being so long-winded.

Recently had a chance to purchase a verifiable Birdog Plus USA meter because; it did not work and they were going out of business.

Meter booted up and verified USB 4.0 Plus with 2008 version. The gentle lady whom sold me this device said it would no longer recognize a sat or a LNB.

At home, first thing noticed was that the warranty seal was broken, so nothing to lose (I know, too little-too late). Anywho found is that the connecting input board (help me guys as it appears to be a small tuner board) with dual F coax connectors, was lying on the bottom of the case. The only connection between the physical input (outside the case) and the internal connection being 2 gold plated insertion/probes, 2" long X 1/16" in diameter, completed with shoulders for bushing inserts-2 (high frez. isolators).

Believe I finally solved the connection problem but I feel there should be some other means to secure this board from future problems. Basically, all this verbage is to ask if anyone of you guys have opened their case, and if so, how is this board secured?

Just for the hey of it I did send an email to perfect10 with same info but having never dealt with them, not sure of their response.

fn59
09-18-2011, 11:33 AM
11431The board is held in place only by the rf connectors. From your photo it appears yours are broken just above the internal nuts that screw on to the board.
You may be able to use a short piece of coax to replace those parts.

Pollypurabred
09-22-2011, 11:36 AM
Maybe you could help me, not sure, but appears that you have a earlier Birdog meter. According to their site, starting with the USB Plus meter, the RF input barrel connectors are replaceable so maybe they changed the design? My connections are horizontal, while yours are verticial. I also don't have the coupler that seems to attach the board to the output
although I may be missing that.

A return email from Perfect-10 suggest that I return the meter for repairs, with their pricing, starts at $140.00 USD plus shipping. I did "bubble" wrap/insulate the board to keep it from moving around so hopefully..........tks for pic/input as I am new to this....PP

Pollypurabred
09-25-2011, 12:27 AM
Tks fn59, when I got finally got the tuner board barrel connectors and the interconnecting pins with the high frequency bushings correctly installed then it did fit together and it indeed does look like your pic. However, it does seem that they are just a pressed fit which I am not particularly fond of.

I did find some non-conductive plastic which I lined the cases tuner compartment with and under that filled it with bubble wrap. Seems to be working now and are no longer receiving error messages. Bench testing an LNB/cable assembly showed a good conductivity test along with the proper RF readings for the LNB. Downloaded my original again as an image for clarity.

11431The board is held in place only by the rf connectors. From your photo it appears yours are broken just above the internal nuts that screw on to the board.
You may be able to use a short piece of coax to replace those parts.