PDA

View Full Version : Terry Francona, saying Boston 'wears on you,' out as Red Sox manager

chicot60
09-30-2011, 11:55 PM
Seth Livingstone

Terry Francona said it was time for the Red Sox to find a "different voice" to lead the team.

And so, on Friday, Francona, the manager who helped end Boston's 86-year championship drought, and the Red Sox parted ways.

Francona, whose team went 7-20 in September and finished out of the playoff hunt on the final night of the season, met with Red Sox ownership and upper management Friday morning.

In a 7 p.m. news conference, Francona said he left that meeting not certain that he had the complete support of ownership which had not extended his contract prior to the season.

"To be honest, I'm not sure how much support there was from ownership," he said. "You've got to be all in in this job and I voiced that today."

Francona said he didn't feel like a "lame duck in 2001." He did, however, admit that that eight years in the meat grinder that is the Fenway Park manager's office took a toll.

"The job certainly aged me," said Francona, who felt he was unable to reach his players as effectively as necessary during the stretch run. "I came here and I thought I was kind of weathered. When I look back, I was like a teenager. (Boston) is a wonderful place, but it's a difficult place to be the manager and it does wear on you -- and when it wears on you to the point that it affects you, time to move on."

In his initial statement, released by the Red Sox, Francona said:

"We met this morning to look back on the 2011 season and to consider the future of the Boston Red Sox, including my involvement with the club. I passed along my frustrations at my inability to effectively reach the players. After many conversations and much consideration, I ultimately felt that, out of respect to this team, it was time for me to move on. I've always maintained that it is not only the right, but the obligation, of ownership to have the right person doing this job. I told them that out of my enormous respect for this organization and the people in it, they may need to find a different voice to lead the team."

Friday's meeting included general manager Theo Epstain, principal owner John Henry, partners Tom Werner and Larry Lucchino and team executive Ben Cherington.

Said Henry: "During the meeting, Tito (Francona), Theo and Ben agreed that the Red Sox would benefit from an improved clubhouse culture and higher standards in several areas. Tito said that after eight years here he was frustrated by his difficulty making an impact with the players, that a different voice was needed, and that it was time for him to move on. After taking time to reflect on Tito's sentiments, we agreed that it was best for the Red Sox not to exercise the option years on his contract."

Epstein, who indicated during a Thursday press conference that there was no guarantee he'd be back in 2012, said he and Francona developed "a great working relationship … also a personal friendship that will also be important to us."

Said Epstein in a statement:

"Nobody at the Red Sox blames Tito for what happened at the end of this season; we own that as an organization. This year was certainly a difficult and draining one for him and for us. Ultimately, he decided that there were certain things that needed to be done that he couldn't do after eight years here, and that this team would benefit from hearing a new voice. While this may be true, his next team will benefit more than it knows from hearing Tito's voice."

Where Francona, 52, lands is anyone's guess, but Chicago is a possibility. The White Sox are shopping for a new manager, and Francona, who previously managed in their organization, has a good relationship with owner Jerry Reinsdorf.

As for Francona's successor with the Red Sox, the situation is equally in doubt. Names of veteran managers Bobby Valentine and Lou Piniella have circulated as have those of several active bench coaches, including former Boston catcher and KC manager Tony Pena (now with the Yankees) and Davey Martinez (currently with Tampa Bay).

Among very few people Francona mentioned by name in his 7 p.m. press session were his former bench coach Brad Mills (now Houston Astros manager) and former pitching coach John Farrell (Tornoto Blue Jays manager). He also mentioned current Red Sox coach DeMarlo Hale.

"DeMarlo -- I hope he gets serious consideration, if not here then somewhere else," Francona said. "I think he's a tremendous manager-in-waiting. He'll manage somewhere and be very good."

Francona's successor might be as concerned with discipline as his everyday lineup. Francona said he was seeing things he didn't like at times even when his team was winning and even called a meeting after a 14-0 victory against Toronto in September. Thursday, the Boston Herald cited pitchers drinking in the clubhouse on their off days as a sign of discipline lacking.

Francona refused to single out player or events but did say he spent considerable time talking to Epstein -- "more than people realize" -- as the team struggled through September. "Whent things go bad, your true colors show and I was bothered by what was showing," Francona said.

Epstein said Thursday that the current nucleus of players was good enough to win for years to come but said it was also important for him to "look in the mirror" when it came recent "big-ticket" free agents that didn't pan out.

In the end, it was non-performance by players such as veterans John Lackey, Carl Crawford, Mike Cameron, Dan Wheeler and Bobby Jenks who tied Francona's hands at various points during the season.

Arguably the most successful manager in Red Sox franchise history, Francona's Sox won 90 or more games in six of his eight seasons. But despite the additions of key free agents Adrian Gonzalez and Carl Crawford, this year's team improved only one game from 2010, finishing 90-72, in third place and out of the postseason for a second consecutive year.

Francona's teams went 744-552. His highest win total came in 2004, his first season, when the Sox went 98-64 and ultimately captured their first World Series since 1918. His 2007 team was the only one to win a division title.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/dailypitch/post/2011/09/terry-francona-out-as-red-sox-manager/1

See photos of: Boston Red Sox, Terr

soulman
10-01-2011, 12:43 AM
Francona was a pretty good manager and did not deserve such treatment from the Sox........the Sox have no class whatsoever. I am a Yankee fan and I will admit that I hate the Sox.....however in my opinion Francona was one of the better managers in baseball. The Red Sox demise should not be completely blamed on Francona. I hope he lands in Chicago. GO YANKEES!!

Pollypurabred
10-01-2011, 03:36 AM
He was one heck-of-a-player until his knees left him. He had some great years (a couple) but after those knee problems, not so many even good years.

I started following him before he became the manager of the Phillies, but with no money, fans clamoring for a local favorite, he did not stand a chance. I believe he never finished above 3rd place and was finally let go after 3 seasons.

But I do remember reading that his laid-back attitude boded very well with the players. Not sure if this is a standard release package but he seemed to be very genuine.

Hopefully he will take at least a year off and relax. Really do not wish to see him in Chicago, my opinion.