PDA

View Full Version : Home made eliptical dish

hartly
10-04-2011, 10:50 PM
I took a 0.9 meter channel master dish and mounted it side ways , making it act like an eliptical dish. Im going to try to use it to get 129-119. Do you guys think this will work. Ive attached an image of the dish before I modded it. Im hoping to get a stronger signal from 129 without having to change to a bigger dih size.

StanW
10-04-2011, 10:55 PM
If you're using only one lnb there is no need to skew the dish.

hartly
10-04-2011, 11:01 PM
im using 3 lnbs actually . 129,119,110 . this is just a picture of the dish . Ive also attached a pic of dish mounted sideways. I only installed 1 lnb for now to see if it even works to get a signal from any of the ones mentioned. Hopefully the the focal point of reflector to lnb is correct.11582

Terryl
10-04-2011, 11:18 PM
It's not going to act as an elliptical dish, an elliptical is much much wider then it is taller.

That is an offset dish, all the signal is focused down to the LNB instead of straight out from the dish, that type of dish is used to get the LNB(s) out of the way of the signal coming down from the satellite.

A true elliptical would be something like 24" x 33" or something like that there.(or look at a Dish 1000.4)

Also the pan (main reflector) will have to be mounted correctly to get a signal to the LNB, mounting it sideways wont work, the focal point for the signals will be in the wrong spot.

hartly
10-04-2011, 11:33 PM
Thanks Terryl. I was just about to go outside and see if I could hit at least one satellite . I thought it being alot wider side to side that id pick up signal strength

Terryl
10-04-2011, 11:54 PM
It's shaped much different then a true elliptical would be, but it would have been a good fun projo had it worked.

All signals hitting that dish are focused down to were the LNB mounts, tuning it sideways would have put the main focal area sideways also, it's all in how the dish is shaped.

hartly
10-05-2011, 03:16 AM
Tested my little project . IT WORKED !!!!!!!!!! I gained 20 points compared to using the dish the normal way. Using reflector sideways made a difference . What a fluke. Dish 129 -73% 119 81%

Terryl
10-05-2011, 03:27 AM
Good job, experimenting is half the fun, just think how much more you would get if you used a dish that was shaped the right way for the job you looking to do.

hartly
10-05-2011, 03:43 AM
Terryl a friend of mine offered to give me his T-90 wave frontier Tudorial dish. I think im gonna go pick it up and try setting it up. i t looks totally wild. And thanks buddy :)

Tubbs
10-05-2011, 04:08 AM
Good job, experimenting is half the fun, just think how much more you would get if you used a dish that was shaped the right way for the job you looking to do.

You are so right Terryl.

About half the fun experimenting... to me, that's all the fun.... you are right, It sould be about FUN.

I'm also intrigued bu Hartly's wherewithal to keep testing different configurations of that dish.... Now that's a true hobbyist and that's what this is all about.... No to get free TV.

I pay for a sub, but it is so fun just to experement. It keeps me sane.

hartly
10-05-2011, 04:37 AM
Thanks Tubbs thats kind of you to say that :)

satchick
10-05-2011, 05:09 AM
Terryl a friend of mine offered to give me his T-90 wave frontier Tudorial dish. I think im gonna go pick it up and try setting it up. i t looks totally wild. And thanks buddy :)

Wow, take it!!!! That's like a $300 dish. They're a pain to set up, but once you get it aligned they work very well. Keep in mind that for circular polarity satellites you will need reverse polarity LNBs, I'm guessing some come with the dish since they're useless on a normal dish. You can add linear polarity satellites with normal LNBs though.

Terryl
10-05-2011, 05:10 AM

WOW!!! jump on that offer before he sobers up.

Gold
10-05-2011, 12:16 PM
Tested my little project . IT WORKED !!!!!!!!!! I gained 20 points compared to using the dish the normal way. Using reflector sideways made a difference . What a fluke. Dish 129 -73% 119 81%

Wow...Dont move it. Your numbers look great...I would go out & make a mark on the dish & mast in case of a wind storm

Glatt
10-05-2011, 01:55 PM
Try ball-joint bracket for easy alignment!

slugworth
10-05-2011, 02:32 PM
Keep in mind that for circular polarity satellites you will need reverse polarity LNBs, I'm guessing some come with the dish since they're useless on a normal dish. You can add linear polarity satellites with normal LNBs though.
There was once a pdf of the hack for regular circular lnb to convert to toroid dish use.
Trace cuts and jumpers on the lnb circuit board.

hartly
10-05-2011, 02:41 PM
Id sure like to find that pdf. As far as I can remember he has 3 lnbs on t-90 for 119-110-101