PDA

View Full Version : new setup

keegster17
10-31-2011, 02:06 PM
guys I have a new set up I want to arrange, and I am lost for direction. I have three tv's one in basement, and two on main floor. I have one Nanosat receiver currently in my bedroom. I want to loop out of the Nanosat receiver so I can watch satellite downstairs. The downstairs has a tv cable coming in, but i want to be able to switch from cable tv to satellite for downstairs tv. the cable for tv is on the west side of the house, I require the cable to go to the basement TV to the living room tv on main floor. The satellite cable is coming into the house on the opposite side of the house. what is the best set up in terms of cable runs and overall setup? Should I just get another receiver for basement, or get a remote extender to control the sat receiver channels from downstairs? just looking for ideas. I have a 36" dish with dual invacom lnb.

stman
10-31-2011, 02:39 PM
All the loop out does is send the pure satellite signal coming directly from the dish. You can't use it with a TV. It would be best to get another supported receiver and run a separate coax from your lnb to the new receiver. If you can live with having the same channel on the TVs, you can get a remote extender and use one of the unused TV outputs on the Nanosat or split the one being used and run it to the other TV.

keegster17
10-31-2011, 02:51 PM
yes I don't mind looping the receiver to the downstairs tv, because I am either upstairs or downstairs, and I am the only one viewing it. Which is a good remote extender? right now I have a 300 series harmony remote controlling everything. But I am still also looking for a nice clean setup for everything, including tv cable etc as I mentioned above.

stman
10-31-2011, 03:05 PM
By looping, you mean splitting the RF coax out going directly to the TV? That isn't looping, but it is the best alternative other than setting up an independent receiver. I'm not sure about your other concerns as to running cables because obviously we can't actually see what is involved. The Harmony series has probably one of the best extenders on the market.

keegster17
11-01-2011, 02:50 AM
ok, so i ran a cable to the tv downstairs, out of the nanosat and tv upstairs. So now I watch same program on two tv's, I will get a remote extender shortly. How are the Jenson extenders? Anyways, my Vizio LCD only has one coaxial connection, so how can I go between cable and satellite? I plugged in a cheap diplexer (1) only, and only cable tv worked. I don't see the point of having two diplexers because in this case the cable tv goes in to cable connection on diplexer and sat goes into sat, then connects to Vizio. Not sure the issue. The multistar diplexer is horrible, major signal loss, I will get a ecoda shortly, if I can figure this out. What if I have a dvd recorder with Rf connections? can I use these coaxial connections then connect a component cable to tv to view satellite?

WillDekkard
11-01-2011, 05:59 AM
Where are you placing the diplexers? The 2 diplexers must be before the satellite receiver. If you are trying to place a diplexer on the output of the sat receiver, it won't work. Sounds what you need is a RF Modulator. Input the cable into the "RF antenna" input of Modulator and input composite cables from the sat receiver into the "composite" inputs of the Modulator. The Modulator outputs RG6 which you can split using a high freq. cable splitter to your other rooms.

stman
11-01-2011, 08:00 AM
An A/B switch would be simpler to switch between the cable and satellite.

keegster17
11-01-2011, 12:26 PM
can you explain why it is simpler? Is my diplexer setup incorrect then? because I am only using one diplexer vs two?

stman
11-01-2011, 02:21 PM
can you explain why it is simpler? Is my diplexer setup incorrect then? because I am only using one diplexer vs two? An A/B switch will allow you to switch between cable and satellite inputs. You were already told why the diplexer won't work.

keegster17
11-01-2011, 03:06 PM
here is my set up as of last night. sat cable into nanosat from dish, then from Nanosat to tv in bedroom I have component cables. Then from Nanosat tv/VCR connection, I have a cable going downstairs into Vizio tv with (1) coaxial connection. This is where I want to be able to switch between satellite and cable tv. problem being only (1) coaxial connection, and cable tv is analog with no cable box. So how do I do this? hopefully this is a little more clear. thanks guys for your patience.

stman
11-01-2011, 03:23 PM
here is my set up as of last night. sat cable into nanosat from dish, then from Nanosat to tv in bedroom I have component cables. Then from Nanosat tv/VCR connection, I have a cable going downstairs into Vizio tv with (1) coaxial connection. This is where I want to be able to switch between satellite and cable tv. problem being only (1) coaxial connection, and cable tv is analog with no cable box. So how do I do this? hopefully this is a little more clear. thanks guys for your patience. Run the coax outputs from cable and satellite to the A/B switch (they even make remote controlled ones if you want it or you can use just a manual switch), run the output from the switch to your TV. Simple...

keegster17
11-01-2011, 04:20 PM
does the A/B switch effect picture signal? Thanks guys. Just a second option would the dvd recorder that I mention with the RF coaxial connection work as well, or not? RF Input/Output Input x 1, Output x 1?

stman
11-01-2011, 04:31 PM
There would be little signal loss. A pass through on the DVD recorder would work as well.

keegster17
11-01-2011, 04:36 PM
thanks for the help stman.

keegster17
11-01-2011, 05:59 PM
stman. need help, tried at lunch my DVD recorder , no luck. How to I connect this? I have coaxial connection (RF in) on DVD recorder and (RF OUT). Is this enough to be able to switch from sat/cable. I have connected cable from Nanosat (tv/vcr) connection to RF in of the dvd, then used component out from dvd to tv? no satellite?

WillDekkard
11-02-2011, 06:27 AM
here is my set up as of last night. sat cable into nanosat from dish, then from Nanosat to tv in bedroom I have component cables. Then from Nanosat tv/VCR connection, I have a cable going downstairs into Vizio tv with (1) coaxial connection. This is where I want to be able to switch between satellite and cable tv. problem being only (1) coaxial connection, and cable tv is analog with no cable box. So how do I do this? hopefully this is a little more clear. thanks guys for your patience.

1. Coax cable from nanosat at the Vizio TV.
2. Coax cable from Cable TV at the Vizio TV.

=

As stman said - Coaxial A/B Switch.

keegster17
11-02-2011, 12:11 PM
I was looking how to hook it up via my DVD recorder, as mentioned the Vizio has only one coaxial connection, I require two for cable and sat. That's why I thought of my DVD which has connections RF in and RF out. Anyways I did by a A/B switch, just in case no one could help with the DVD connection. Still like to learn if possible.

stman
11-02-2011, 12:20 PM
I was looking how to hook it up via my DVD recorder, as mentioned the Vizio has only one coaxial connection, I require two for cable and sat. That's why I thought of my DVD which has connections RF in and RF out. Anyways I did by a A/B switch, just in case no one could help with the DVD connection. Still like to learn if possible. We can't tell you much without knowing the make and model of the DVD recorder. Also if you don't have the manual, you can find out as much as we can about it online yourself. :)

stman
11-02-2011, 12:33 PM
That being said, we will go with generalities. Most pass through connections are passive when the unit is off. In other words, you should have a signal when you select the correct input mode on your TV with the DVD off. When on you would need to select the correct output.

keegster17
11-02-2011, 02:15 PM
I have a liton DVD recorder LVW-5001, usually I can figure this stuff out? not this time, maybe impatient. lol.

daryl1964
11-02-2011, 02:49 PM
Hook up cable to cable box, hook up rg6 cable to sat receiver then use either rca or component cables to goto input on dvd recorder then go from outputs on dvd recorder to tv component or rca inputs, then simply to view or record programs change channel on dvd recorder to the appropiate channel ie. video 1 or 2?.........

keegster17
11-02-2011, 02:57 PM
no cable box, it is analog signal for cable. sat receiver is upstairs, but cable running out of sat recevier (tv/vcr) to downstairs then I have local cable coaxial downstairs, so I have to cables, one local cable and one sat cable (tv/vcr). where do they go.

daryl1964
11-02-2011, 03:10 PM
plug in analog cable to port A on a/b switch then plug in sat cable to port B then put output cable to dvd recorder coxial input then just switch between the two. also check into rf modulator to add rca outputs for analog cable?.....ps tv will then go through channel 3 or 4. pss also remember to power off sat box before switching or you could blow your lnb or switch. psss also some old cable converter boxes have rca outputs?

WillDekkard
11-03-2011, 06:29 AM
I was looking how to hook it up via my DVD recorder, as mentioned the Vizio has only one coaxial connection, I require two for cable and sat. That's why I thought of my DVD which has connections RF in and RF out. Anyways I did by a A/B switch, just in case no one could help with the DVD connection. Still like to learn if possible.

If you use the DVD Recorder, it will limit your recording to either the Cable TV or the Sat. Receiver and that is why stman and myself recommended the A/B switch. However, if that is OK, you can connect which ever device to the DVD Recorder you wish while the other would input to the RF input of the Vizio. The other will input to the RF of the DVD recorder and output via composite cables or component cables w/audio cables into the Vizio. The DVD recorder will act like that of a VCR and should de-modulate the signal allowing it to passively pass through the DVD recorder to the Vizio. You will need the DVD recorder powered on in order for this to work.

I have a VCR for this purpose. I use a RF modulator in my basement and send the signal to my main level via RG6 cable into the VCR which de-modulates the signal when powered on and the VCR is connected to the TV via the yellow video RCA cable. The Audio cables(red/white) from the VCR input into the A/V receiver for sound.

keegster17
11-03-2011, 01:52 PM
Thanks for being very clear I understand. I just realized I have Ps$ so, I really don't need cable since I have Bev and DN. Not sure what I was thinking. But good to know in case I change my setup. I just want to point out right now everything is working great, purchased a Jensen remote extender, I thought it was junk at first but works very well for my setup. Maybe one last question I have is.. and a little off topic is... when I connect cable out of the Nanosat (tv/VCR) and run it to downstairs tv, to I lose picture quality? If so would it improve if I move the Nanosat downstairs and hook up directly to to tv? I really don't care about picture upstairs as it is only a 23" tv, the one downstairs I want best picture performance. I think it may improve, as I can then hook up the component cable I have for the upstairs tv. curious.

WillDekkard
11-04-2011, 04:51 AM
It would be best to connect the Sat.Receiver directly to your Large Flatscreen using the shortest and best grade/type of cable. For video cable going from best to worst: HDMI, DVI-D, VGA, Component, S-Video, Composite, and then RG6 coax. Keep in mind there are varying grades of each type of cable and some need additional audio cables.

keegster17
11-04-2011, 12:24 PM
yeah eh, I think I notice the picture not to be as bright and dull already, may have to change it. Thanks guys.

keegster17
11-23-2011, 05:46 PM
just to recap i looped out my sat receiver to upstairs TV. I am connection via DVD recorder, so basically sat receiver (tv/vcr) to DVD recorder to 23" LCD samsung. I have to go via DVd recorder because Samsung coaxial connectors never worked for day one on tv. that's a hole other issue if someone knows how to fix that, but basically I am wondering the component cables I have from DVD recorder to Samsung are cheap, do you think if I upgrade I will see better picture, or would it be minimal because I have looped out from sat receiver? When I say loop out, I mean I already have sat receiver plugged into tv downstairs, so loop out is connected to watch other tv, same channels of course. what if I bought a dvd player with HDMI cable? would it help. or is it a waster as on the loop out it is only RG6 cable?

satchick
11-24-2011, 01:51 AM
I am wondering the component cables I have from DVD recorder to Samsung are cheap, do you think if I upgrade I will see better picture

You probably will, you want component cables made from RG59 coax. Any of the cables from Monoprice will work great, and they aren't expensive.

If you still want to add cable, you don't need to mess around with an A/B switch... All you need is a regular cable splitter, and a notch filter to remove channels 3 and 4. You'd install the cable splitter backwards, with the satellite receiver output plugged into one port, and your cable signal plugged into the other port, with a notch filter in place. A good place to get filters is Tin Lee electronics, or SmartHome sells them as well.

keegster17
11-24-2011, 03:13 AM
sorry a little confused what exactly your saying? sounds like a great idea but for what problem of mine? sorry just don't follow.

satchick
11-24-2011, 04:17 AM
I have a cable going downstairs into Vizio tv with (1) coaxial connection. This is where I want to be able to switch between satellite and cable tv. problem being only (1) coaxial connection, and cable tv is analog with no cable box. So how do I do this? ...........

keegster17
12-05-2011, 10:16 PM
ok changed my setup again, slightly. removed Nanosat replaced it with new dreamlink hd. my problem being, I had the nanosat connected to downstairs tv, and from the nanosat on the loop out coaxial i had it go to my dvd recorder upstairs via coaxial cable. then out from the dvd recorder via component cable to 23" LCD tv. everthing worked fine. I was able to view same tv program from two tv's. I must note I had to use dvd recorder because coaxial connections on LCD 23" never worked from day one. My question/problem is I know cannot see any picture for the LCD 23". Does the HDMI connection from the dreamlink to vizio downstairs change any thing from the old set up of component connections? they are both digital correct? not sure why it wouldn't work if it was fine with component cables?

WillDekkard
12-06-2011, 06:14 AM
The Dreamlink HD does not have a RF output. Do you have the loop-through coax from the DreamlinkHD feeding into the nanosat or is it going straight into the DVD recorder? If it is going straight into the DVD recorder - that won't work.

keegster17
12-06-2011, 01:24 PM
Really? That blows. It has LNB out, I tried that assuming it was same as RF output. And no it was going straight to DVD recorder. Is there anyway to get around this? I am a little upset I spent the money on this unit, I was hoping to sell my Nanosat. What about a RF modulator or something. I mean I don't watch a lot of tv upstairs, but spent the money on remote extender and everything so I could have this set up. Didn't even think of it when I purchased it, most have it.

satchick
12-06-2011, 07:04 PM
You could use an RF modulator to send the composite video output to the upstairs TV, assuming all of the outputs on that receiver are live all the time. You won't find an RF output on HD receivers, because the picture quality is too poor.

keegster17
12-06-2011, 07:37 PM
can you explain in detail how I would hook this up? I have a RF modulator already sitting at home. I think your saying connect composite cables to Dreamlink from Dreamlink to Rf modulator and out from RF Modulator to DVD recorder upstairs. Quality of picture is not important, as I only watch it late at night.

How come the picture quality is not as good with HD units? going from Digital to Analog?

satchick
12-06-2011, 08:44 PM
You connect the composite cables from the Dreamlink to the RF modulator, then the RF output connects to the upstairs DVD recorder.

How come the picture quality is not as good with HD units?

There's just not enough bandwidth available on the RF output to transmit an HD picture.

keegster17
12-07-2011, 01:07 AM
satchick. brilliant, it worked. thanks, appreciate the efforts.