PDA

View Full Version : Nikon or Canon

kamyk
12-20-2009, 02:13 AM
Fotography is my hobby and I have been using Nikons SLRs and DSLRs for the last 15 years. Do not know a lot about Canon and have a chance to buy for little a new Canon Eos 5D. For me that would mean total switch to Canon(lenses, flash etc.) can't afford both. Does anyone have experience using both names and how they compare? Is it worth to switch? BTW I am using Nikon D700. I know the specs of many cameras but would like to know how is it in real life, how they compare.

scruffy
01-05-2010, 01:35 PM
what does the SLR mean in the camera world as i'm starting to get into takeing more photos and would like to know the difference

dan9999
01-05-2010, 01:38 PM
what does the SLR mean in the camera world as i'm starting to get into takeing more photos and would like to know the difference

SLR = Single Lens Reflex

From Wikipedia:
A digital single-lens reflex camera (digital SLR or DSLR) is a digital camera that uses a mechanical mirror system and pentaprism to direct light from the lens to an optical viewfinder on the back of the camera.

The basic operation of a DSLR is as follows: for viewing purposes, the mirror reflects the light coming through the attached lens upwards at a 90 degree angle. It is then reflected twice by the pentaprism, rectifying it for the photographer's eye. During exposure, the mirror assembly swings upward, the aperture narrows (if stopped down, or set smaller than wide open), and a shutter opens, allowing the lens to project light onto the image sensor. A second shutter then covers the sensor, ending the exposure, and the mirror lowers while the shutter resets. The period that the mirror is flipped up is referred to as "viewfinder blackout". A fast-acting mirror and shutter is preferred so as to not delay an action photo.

All of this happens automatically over a period of milliseconds, with cameras designed to do this 3–10 times a second.

DSLRs are often preferred by professional still photographers because they allow an accurate preview of framing close to the moment of exposure, and because DSLRs allow the user to choose from a variety of interchangeable lenses. Most DSLRs also have a function that allows accurate preview of depth of field.

Many professionals also prefer DSLRs for their larger sensors compared to most compact digitals. DSLRs have sensors which are generally closer in size to the traditional film formats that many current professionals started out using. These large sensors allow for similar depths of field and picture angle to film formats.

The term DSLR generally refers to cameras that resemble 35 mm format cameras, although some medium format cameras are technically DSLRs.

dan9999
01-05-2010, 01:45 PM
Fotography is my hobby and I have been using Nikons SLRs and DSLRs for the last 15 years. Do not know a lot about Canon and have a chance to buy for little a new Canon Eos 5D. For me that would mean total switch to Canon(lenses, flash etc.) can't afford both. Does anyone have experience using both names and how they compare? Is it worth to switch? BTW I am using Nikon D700. I know the specs of many cameras but would like to know how is it in real life, how they compare.

I'm relatively new to DSLR cameras and just purchased a Canon EOS Rebel XSi
with an EF-S 18 - 55 mm IS Lens and an EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Telephoto Lens...
So far great pics, but man, have I got a lot to learn :)

torpainter
01-05-2010, 01:48 PM
a good place to learn is a camera club in your neighbourhood.It sometimes takes a few different ones to find one you feel comfortable in but very helpful

scruffy
01-05-2010, 01:51 PM
no no i've got a lot to learn,i seen some shot's from an SLR and like how they are a lot nicer than the standard cameras,after reading the second to last post i now realize theres a ton of reading i need to do to understand this more

Slammer
01-05-2010, 03:19 PM
All I've ever used is Nikon. So I can't give you a realistic comparative evaluation. I can however tell you that I have always been happy with Nikon products. I'm currently using a D-50 DSLR.

I'm sure Canon is darn near as good if not as good. But than...changing your whole system will be expensive. So there's the primary consideration...

Good luck!

kamyk
01-10-2010, 07:36 PM
no no i've got a lot to learn,i seen some shot's from an SLR and like how they are a lot nicer than the standard cameras,after reading the second to last post i now realize theres a ton of reading i need to do to understand this more

The main difference is sensor size, better image processing and most of all size and quality of the lens. Good quality lenses are sometimes a lot more expesive than camera itself. You should feel some interest in photography, feel the need for taking perfect pictures, learn how to play with different light conditions and allways try to improve the next picture you take to swich to SLR. When you realize that the picture you take is just a light bouncing of the subject you got what you need to be a good photograper. You don't have to spend a lot of time to learn about photography at the beginnig as this hobby builds with time, and new things are allways there to learn, and you will know that taking pictures is not just point and shut (there will be more thinking involved)
Many people buy basic SLR's just for better quality of pics and as they are easy to use with simple automatic mode.

JCO
01-10-2010, 08:49 PM
Umm where do we start... Well the first thing that I can tell you is that Canon uses full size capture devices on their high end SLR's . Nikon uses smaller ccd's.. That means that Canon will be able to give you a higher resolution ccd than Nikon. You will only gain this advantage on the high end Pro models.. In the profesional market the canon is prefered by most photojournalists because of the faster firing rates on the top of the line model as well as the higher resolution..
Now CCD resolution is one thing but if you put the low end lenses on those bodies you will never get the capacity of those high end ccd's. The high end zooms are very pricy .
One other point is that you will only see these diferences if you push the equipment to its limits.. Re l prints that are larger than 16x20 inches or viewed on large screens.. On a small print you wont be able to see any difference.
A good analogy is using a FERRARI to deliver a pizza during rush hour, it wont get there any faster than if you used a Yarus..LOL

Personaly i'm using a Nikon D200 with some high end zooms and old analog lenses also.. Very satisfied with my results.. I wouldnt trade for a Canon it would be too much money involved and the results wont be much better..

tech_table
01-11-2010, 02:19 AM
Well, I'm Canon shooter, both Nikon and Canon are good, it's just personal preference, some like Toyota/Lexus while other like Honda/Acura. You can't go wrong with either one, but just so you know Nikon used Sony image sensor not one of their built one, while Canon is not, and you get a wide range of lens from Canon and many other brands that are build for Canon SLR.

I had:

Body:
Canon 30D (and planning to add either of 7D or 5DII soon)

Lens:
EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6
EF-S 17-55mm F/2.8,
EF 35mmL F/1.4,
EF 85mmL F/1.2,

Flash:
Canon 580EXII

Camcorder: Canon HF11

I don't hate Nikon, I just like what I had, Both Nikon & Canon are big name brand, and the pro out there used both, you may see Canon more.

If you like to give a try, I would suggest to get for atmature: any XSI with EF-S 17-55mm F/2.8 is good, or if you into sport and want more in quality, any of these 40D, 50D or 7D with either of these lens: EF-S 17-55mm F/2.8 or EF 24-70mmL F/2.8 are great for low light, or even more serious is the 5DII with either of EF 24-70mmL F/2.8 for low light or general purpose walk around len EF 24-105mmL F/4 is a good combo too. But just so you know any of the L series lens are pricey. Goodluck with your choice.

TT,

sharagim1
03-01-2010, 10:56 PM
i bought canon 7d with ef 18-135 extra battery, filter hood just $2200.
that"s on eof the best camera.
5d is slow for focus or some but 7d it "s too fast 8 per secound
but 5d it"s full frame. but everybody like 7d on this range price
that"s mazing.
the canon design is much better than nikon any model.

JCO
03-01-2010, 11:36 PM
Well, I'm Canon shooter, both Nikon and Canon are good, it's just personal preference, some like Toyota/Lexus while other like Honda/Acura. You can't go wrong with either one, but just so you know Nikon used Sony image sensor not one of their built one, while Canon is not, and you get a wide range of lens from Canon and many other brands that are build for Canon SLR.

I had:

Body:
Canon 30D (and planning to add either of 7D or 5DII soon)

Lens:
EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6
EF-S 17-55mm F/2.8,
EF 35mmL F/1.4,
EF 85mmL F/1.2,

Flash:
Canon 580EXII

Camcorder: Canon HF11

I don't hate Nikon, I just like what I had, Both Nikon & Canon are big name brand, and the pro out there used both, you may see Canon more.

If you like to give a try, I would suggest to get for atmature: any XSI with EF-S 17-55mm F/2.8 is good, or if you into sport and want more in quality, any of these 40D, 50D or 7D with either of these lens: EF-S 17-55mm F/2.8 or EF 24-70mmL F/2.8 are great for low light, or even more serious is the 5DII with either of EF 24-70mmL F/2.8 for low light or general purpose walk around len EF 24-105mmL F/4 is a good combo too. But just so you know any of the L series lens are pricey. Goodluck with your choice.

TT,

Now those are real nice lenses... Rare to see fixed focal lenths in todays digital world...Those 2 aspherical lenses are real nice...So is the 17 to 55...Big bucks too..