PDA

View Full Version : birdog need's update?

motoho
12-21-2009, 01:41 AM
I have a birdog and payed $300 five year's ago got my money out of it. but I can no longer update it the file don't load on the old unit's. the files only work for usb unit's not Ethernet line. so as my satellite list get out of date ill need a new unit. I am looking at a new birdog but thy lift a bad taste in my mouth. so I am thinking sat-buddy any one have any luck whit theme. and is there one that can be programed manual? so all you do it pouch in the F/C and polarity and name it set it forget it?. thank's

FARJOHN
12-21-2009, 01:58 AM
What version do you have ? The earliest (1.3)loads the same as my unit.Useing the combination data cord.

fearlss-1
12-21-2009, 03:07 AM
The files still load unto the version 2.5 birdog.You might have some other issues with your birdog.

That being said I prefar the Super Buddy.It costs much more...but performs better and more reliable than the birdog.

You can also manually input your custom satellite selection.

Attached is the manual for the latest version.You can take a look at its features and what it has to offer.IMHO all Super Buddy meters perform the same though the latest model would handle any power hugging switch out there.I think it does output 750 Ma while the older ones do 600Ma.

Handy for the SWM lnb

fearlss-1
12-21-2009, 03:08 AM
What version do you have ? The earliest (3.1)loads the same as my unit.Useing the combination data cord.

2.0 is the earliest...there might also have been a 1.5 but not many of those were made.

motoho
12-21-2009, 04:09 AM
2.0 is the earliest...there might also have been a 1.5 but not many of those were made.

im going to give it one more try ill get back to you on what happan's thank's

Marcella
12-26-2009, 03:27 PM
I have a Birdog usb mod. I must say that after using a Lacona for 4years I am un happy with the Bird. i do hundreds of installs. The Bird will not seperate sats. Put it on 91 and 110 will ring etc. StarChoice sat has no program. I have DL'd Bird sat programs many times. I tried the TriMac ,but found the printing on screen to small and then ordered a Bird ,last year. What I am thinking is to test a SatBuddy. The old Lacuna was the best but support has cratered.

motoho
12-27-2009, 01:02 AM
I have a Birdog usb mod. I must say that after using a Lacona for 4years I am un happy with the Bird. i do hundreds of installs. The Bird will not seperate sats. Put it on 91 and 110 will ring etc. StarChoice sat has no program. I have DL'd Bird sat programs many times. I tried the TriMac ,but found the printing on screen to small and then ordered a Bird ,last year. What I am thinking is to test a SatBuddy. The old Lacuna was the best but support has cratered.

110 and 91 are the same? maybe its your sat-list if you update it you will fix that dn and bev are close but the new list is needed try this one

Marcella
12-27-2009, 09:07 PM
I have updated several times from horizon ,perfect 10. But i'll try your recomdation. Tks. to you my friend.

FARJOHN
12-28-2009, 01:24 AM
Manuals are at horizen for:

2006 3.0 US'. Observe que este manual particular se aplica al USB BirDog capaz portuario.

Version 1.5 of the instruction manual is for BirDogs with software V 2.50 only. To check your software version, turn the unit “on” and look to the right side of the LCD display.

Version 1.4 of the instruction manual is for BirDogs with software lower than V 2.50 and over V 2.20.

Version 1.3 of the instruction manual is for BirDogs with software versions lower than V 2.20.
Version 1.3 is the earlest

Marcella
12-29-2009, 12:45 PM
Maybe someone uses the Bird for "StarChoice" Just wondering if it works for them. I have tried all Anka sats but can't get a ring on a tuned "SC" dish. Tks in advance guys.

Whozzat
12-29-2009, 08:33 PM
I have used my birdog to tune star****ce on Anik2 a couple of times. Worked fine for me.

Marcella
12-29-2009, 09:17 PM
"Who" Was that for the 4 port 75e lnb? Tks.

Whozzat
12-29-2009, 10:50 PM
Sorry can't remember which lnb

fearlss-1
12-30-2009, 10:15 AM
Get a Superbuddy.It does everything though it costs more than the Birdog.It would handle any switch configuration and lnb.

If you use the SuperBuddy you would never touch another digital meter.

dreamingsky
12-31-2009, 01:50 PM
I am great fan of BIRDOG and used couple of years and i believe after sometime all the meters and receivers support diminsh...its life cycle..Birdog used to be excellent with new files and update firmwares whenever any change happens into stream...but now no new firmware update..anyway, i bought a DSM IV digital satellite meter which is replica and exact made of lacuna...now there's no support but after searching found a program which opens and edits the lacuna firmware and satellite datasheets...i did changed the whole spectrum of data sheet and now it works excellent..this option is even not available in any meter as far as I know about birdog. hope this works for you..

papitohead
01-02-2010, 07:11 PM
I'm glad for you guys that are happy with your birdogs. I have a 3.0 and works only with majors sats such as DN. But have never been able to get it to work with Amazonas or other satellites. I have contacted them several times and they have sent me several files but none worked for me. I finally got me a used 13" TV for $40 and use it with a VS Xtreme and does the job.

motoho
01-03-2010, 05:22 AM
I'm glad for you guys that are happy with your birdogs. I have a 3.0 and works only with majors sats such as DN. But have never been able to get it to work with Amazonas or other satellites. I have contacted them several times and they have sent me several files but none worked for me. I finally got me a used 13" TV for $40 and use it with a VS Xtreme and does the job.

wow ok so you do a setup whit a tv and an vs-xtreme a coolsat 5000 works better. but me have no time i get there putup a dish and use a bridog it takes less than a minit find what sat i need. to set up a tv and a fta-stb will take to much time plus the lack of respcet that the client will have. respcet I can't loss that i leve on word of mouth thats the way it is.

papitohead
01-05-2010, 02:52 AM
wow ok so you do a setup whit a tv and an vs-xtreme a coolsat 5000 works better. but me have no time i get there putup a dish and use a bridog it takes less than a minit find what sat i need. to set up a tv and a fta-stb will take to much time plus the lack of respcet that the client will have. respcet I can't loss that i leve on word of mouth thats the way it is.

Motoho, let me explain myself better to you. First, I am not a dealer installer of any kind. I am a tester that graduated from C-bad since the late 1970s. I know that my birdog sets up a dish in no time what so ever when it comes to satellites such as Echostar, etc. But when you try satellites such as Hispasat, Amazonas, etc the files that are posted for these satellites never work. I track these satellites just for the fun of it and my birdog becomes worthless when doing this. Don't I wish I could find files that work for all satellites but that is not the case, hence, I use a tiny tv with an old Xtreme with the transponders programmed to it.

fearlss-1
01-14-2010, 09:07 PM
As I said earlier the Super Buddy works for all satellites and switches.Once you try one you would agree with me.

It will do Hispasat and Amazonas no problems and you can even edit the spectrum sheet or even make your own custom satellite list.

Oh...and its made in the USA by a reputable company that's been around for a while.

aide
02-08-2010, 12:03 AM
I for one like my birdog but I have had no luck getting it to work with a invacom lnb and mine is last years usb model

Marcella
02-27-2010, 12:39 PM
I want to add T5 [Galx.25} to my self config. Birdog list. which listing do I use from their list of sats. TKS. in advance

butch
01-26-2011, 04:30 PM
i have 2.5 birdog and try to load fta birds and will not load. call perfect 10 and they said the older units are out of warrienty and they do not know what is wrong.so that being said IF YOU BUY NEW UNIT FROM THESE PEOPLE IN A FEW YEARS WILL YOUR B.D. BE USLESS TO? I will not wast my money on a unit/company that will not support there units in a few years.

papitohead
02-12-2011, 01:55 AM
Butch, this is just like any FTA receiver you buy. After two years or less, you are $hit out of luck. I finally got Horizon to send me a file that does work with Amazonas 1. But took me over two years of bugging them. If your Birdog works, is a great unit.