PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a new/used snowblower...

Bigpineguy Retired
11-20-2011, 12:13 PM
After living in the Florida Keys for many years, and Moving here to Michigan, I got a taste of Shoveling snow again last winter... :stop:
I wasn't going to do that by hand again....I've been looking around and I found one yesterday , it fired right up, and got it for $100 , not knowing much about which one is better than another , I hope that I got one that will foot the bill for Michigan winter..

It's a Snapper SX 5200 E 20'' with a 5 HP motor , Auger style single stage

Did a little research last night, and haven't found much info except that I must have got a pretty good deal on the price, most , used, are going for around $150-$200

I don't know if it will "cut" through the snow if we get 8,9, or 12'' of snow .... I have read that some are for "light" snow, and some are for the "heavy" snow... any input from the members here...?

BPG~

StanW
11-20-2011, 12:45 PM
5hp would be a light snow version altho seeing that itr's only 20" it will probably be adequate . If you get lots of snow in one sitting or if you get drifts you'll be making multiple passes . Can't beat the price - I wouldn't look the proverbial gift horse in the mouth :thumbsup:

Bigpineguy Retired
11-20-2011, 12:59 PM
I only intent on using it for the sidewalks and driveway, don't mind making a few passes if need be, just looking to save my back from shoveling...lol

Thanks for the input ...

BPG~

zoogor
11-20-2011, 01:14 PM
the one i have sounds similar. i use it for most of my driveway around my truck and the wifes suv. works great on fresh snow and will go through pretty deep stuff but not great for what the snow plow pushes in.
i bought my new for 4 something so i'd say you'll be happy with yours at 100 bucks.
good luck

Costactc
11-20-2011, 01:28 PM
Sounds like you got a great deal BPG. I haven't decided to buy one or contract out the driveway yet. 5 hp is a bit small by our standards, most of the snowblowers at home depot here are in the 20s.

StanW
11-20-2011, 01:38 PM
Costa - save some money and have the kid exercise a bit .;)

Tubbs
11-21-2011, 06:10 AM
WOW, I must have missed you on the way down, I have property in the U.P. and left Illinois for Florida a year or so ago...

I'm done shoveling snow.

As for the snow blower you bought, That will work just fine, My brother has the same model and lives in Benton Harbor Michigan. They get a lot of snow... and his unit has preformed beautifully for the last 5 years..... Ya you go a great deal and a great snow blower.....

FUNNY, I still have my F-150 in the garage down here in Florida with a western snow plow on the front of it!! ( the frame)
Peeps downhere have no idea what it is!!
(the plow part is in Illinois)

geist
04-04-2013, 01:37 AM
if you use electric and do not have too much area to do, you can do layers to remove deeper snow because electric is light enough to maneuver.