PDA

View Full Version : PS3 used as FTA receiver?

rooster60
11-21-2011, 05:33 PM
A buddy of mine was looking at getting a Playstation 3 game console because he did hear some place that its possible to use it as a receiver. Is this true?
I told him I would post on this site to see if anyone knew about it.
He figures since it does everything else, blu ray, internet, games, movies, etc. Why not.
Please advise and thanks ahead of time.

dells
11-21-2011, 05:37 PM
would be nice but not going to happen...

Terryl
11-21-2011, 05:57 PM
Yes it would be nice but it doesn't have a satellite de-modulator card inside, nor anyway to power an LNB.

THEGAME15
11-30-2011, 10:24 PM
I wouldn't exactly call it an FTA receiver, but there is a home-brew program called Showtime for Jailbroken PS3's on firmware 3.41/3.55. It's a plugin called WatchTV and if you have it setup correctly you can watch a few major networks on it. Its basically streaming from websites directly to your PS3 without all the ads. It can be quite convenient for some.

777aaron
12-01-2011, 12:04 AM
Just about any DLNA device running playon and a good script is better than an fta receiver.As noted above you would need to jailbreak a PS3 to be able to watch the good stuff because SONY sucky ass copy protection won't let you stream anything that resembles a sony dvd.I still love my fta boxs,but the fact is nothing beats being able to watch anything you want anytime you want.If your friend is interested in this tell him to forget the PS3 and save his money and check out WDTV,roku,boxee,or any of the others.A pretty good rule of thumb is if it can stream netflix it will work.

djohn
12-17-2011, 09:40 PM
No way. That sounds totally wrong.

Highwayman
12-17-2011, 10:02 PM
I wouldn't exactly call it an FTA receiver, but there is a home-brew program called Showtime for Jailbroken PS3's on firmware 3.41/3.55. It's a plugin called WatchTV and if you have it setup correctly you can watch a few major networks on it. Its basically streaming from websites directly to your PS3 without all the ads. It can be quite convenient for some.

Or you could use Sharkhunters ps3 media build and stream rtmp links like Hbo Cinemax ESPN`s abc nbc fox etc
as well as XBMC and Navi-x.