PDA

View Full Version : Diseqc switch problem

DesiGuy1981
11-23-2011, 09:28 PM
Hi everyone,
I just installed a brand new switch 3 weeks ago and its gone bad already. its a chietah heacy duty 4x1 switch.
i wonder wat i was going wrong..i put ab electrip tape around it so the water wunt go in. the only thing i didnt do it ground it but i know the way i put it so it wudnt move and i know it didnt move..

i can only get channels on verical tps and no horizontals. most of the time it is stuck on one satelite. for example if it catches the 118 it sud just stick with 118 wudnt go for 119 or 110

i have 3 sats
91 110 and 119

did this happen to any one?
any suggestions?

thank u in adavnce

zoogor
11-23-2011, 09:32 PM
i never heard of a switch only getting one or the other horizontal or vertical. switch might not be the issue. could be quality or a setting in the search settings or what ever it would be called for what ever receiver your using. if it is the switch then i would recommend the emp switch. best on the market in my opinion and many others opinion. been running mine strong on two receivers for 4 years without a hitch.

StanW
11-23-2011, 09:34 PM
Hi everyone,
I just installed a brand new switch 3 weeks ago and its gone bad already. its a chietah heacy duty 4x1 switch.
i wonder wat i was going wrong..i put ab electrip tape around it so the water wunt go in. the only thing i didnt do it ground it but i know the way i put it so it wudnt move and i know it didnt move..

i can only get channels on verical tps and no horizontals. most of the time it is stuck on one satelite. for example if it catches the 118 it sud just stick with 118 wudnt go for 119 or 110

i have 3 sats
91 110 and 119

any suggestions?

thank u in adavnce

The purpose of grounding block is not to prevent the switch from moving ....

When connecting or disconnecting cables you are powering off the receiver ? Getting channels on certain tps does not sound like a switch problem - more like settings .

Are you using the special 118/119 lnb ?

DesiGuy1981
11-23-2011, 09:49 PM
yes im using the 118/119 lnb..it was wrking fine till now. cuz it be the weather..it was darn cold..it was around -20 4 days ago...
im using kbox pro with the latest file.

The purpose of grounding block is not to prevent the switch from moving ....

When connecting or disconnecting cables you are powering off the receiver ? Getting channels on certain tps does not sound like a switch problem - more like settings .

Are you using the special 118/119 lnb ?

DesiGuy1981
11-23-2011, 09:59 PM
well i dunt know cuz now i have disconnected the swith and running only 118 119 and working just fine.

i never heard of a switch only getting one or the other horizontal or vertical. switch might not be the issue. could be quality or a setting in the search settings or what ever it would be called for what ever receiver your using. if it is the switch then i would recommend the emp switch. best on the market in my opinion and many others opinion. been running mine strong on two receivers for 4 years without a hitch.

ottid142
11-23-2011, 11:48 PM
Hi everyone,

i have 3 sats
91 110 and 119

any suggestions?

thank u in adavnce

Get rid of the tape. Unless it is perfectly installed it can allow moisture in and actually trap it. You could have a bad switch. Even EMP switches go bad on occacion and there is nothing wrong with Chieta Heavy Duty switches. You could have a bad coax a bad connector on one of your coaxes. The only way to tell is to replace one piece of coax or connector or switch at a time and see what it takes to eliminate the problem. Basically a process of elimination. Good Luck and let us know what you find.

TraderA
12-18-2011, 12:31 AM
i never heard of a switch only getting one or the other horizontal or vertical.

I used to get that problem all the time. Turned out to be moisture in the coax. I have since upgraded to a gel-filled coax. I would check your switches and coax for moisture and swap each component out as someone else suggested.

Terryl
12-18-2011, 12:58 AM
If your only getting the "V" transponders and you have legacy LNB's (and or switch) then it could be too much DC voltage loss in the system.

As others have mentioned a bad connector, or water in the connector or coax can cause all sorts of problems, if the coax has the copper plated steel center conductor it can rust if it gets wet, and cause a voltage loss, the legacy LNB needs +14 DC volts to switch to the "V" polarity transponders and +18 volts DC to switch to the "H" polarity transponders.

It looks to me that your not getting enough DC voltage to or through the switch to get the "H" transponders (+18 volts DC) this could also be a receiver problem, but when you connected directly to the LNB everything worked.

It could be the the coax has water in it,(and froze when it got cold) or one of the connectors leaked and the center conductor has rusted, this with the addition of the switch is causing the voltage drop to be too high and it wont correctly switch the LNB up to the "H" transponders.

The minimum DC voltage to switch to the "H: transponders is 17.5 volts DC, if its 16 to 17 volts your LNB will be stuck in the "V" transponders.

This is why I use the good quality RG-6 quad coax with a pure copper center conductor, and the good compression connectors, also the coax used should be rated or swept to the 2.5 to 3 GHz range to prevent the signal loss to be too high.

WillDekkard
12-18-2011, 08:19 AM
In addition to checking and replacing bad cable and/or cable ends you should indeed ground your sat. system. The dish, cables(using 2.5GHz grounding blocks), and especially switches need to be connected to an earth ground using insulated 10Ga solid copper wire or better.

Switching issues/problems can be prevented if your system is grounded. These "issues" are more prevalent when you have multiple LNBs and especially if you have multiple receivers in your system. Even some FTA receivers can be more susceptible to these switching issues than others.

Switches can be protected from the elements with weatherproof enclosures. Below is an example of one such enclosure for a 4x1 DiSEqC switch:
http://www.satfix.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=12487&d=1324196141