PDA

View Full Version : 1999 Mercury Sable Cam Shaft positioner sensor

donaldelee
01-07-2012, 01:06 AM
On my Mercury Sable the OBD tester at Auto Zone indicated a possible cam shaft positioner sensor.
1. Is there a test with a multi test meter, that can be performed?
2. Is there a special alignment tool for installing the cam shaft positioner sensor?

Previously, I had been able to find some very good reference manuals here. I haven't seen any for a long time.

All assistance, and consideration is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

LuckyLarry
01-07-2012, 01:11 AM
If it does in fact need the cam position sensor, it will have to be "aligned".Some of the sensors come with the alignment tool (I know Doorman sensors do).Not sure if there's an accurate dvom test,but it's output can be read with a good scan tool.You didn't say,but I assume it's either a 3.0 or 3.8 engine?

donaldelee
01-07-2012, 01:27 AM
LuckyLarry,
Thanks for the prompt response! I'm not sure, it is quite dar4k outside. I will look tomorrow. Where would the Doorman sensors be sold? Autozone?

satchick
01-07-2012, 04:30 AM
Most places carry Dorman products, they're a pretty big name in the replacement parts business... Cam sensors are a pretty common item, Autozone or NAPA should have it in stock.

iq180
01-09-2012, 10:29 PM
On my Mercury Sable the OBD tester at Auto Zone indicated a possible cam shaft positioner sensor.
1. Is there a test with a multi test meter, that can be performed?
2. Is there a special alignment tool for installing the cam shaft positioner sensor?

Previously, I had been able to find some very good reference manuals here. I haven't seen any for a long time.

All assistance, and consideration is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
if you are only going to replace the sensor then you dont need the tool, but if you are going to replace the shaft then you will need the tool.

donaldelee
01-12-2012, 05:57 PM
Thanks to everybody! I had numerous codes from the OBD tester. I elected to start first with the plugs, and plug wires. One of the plugs [first one removed] had the porcelain completely gone! It was a Motorcraft Platinum Plus I had installed approximately 30000 miles earlier. I elected to replace them with Bosch [almost $5.00 a plug] and the plug wires with Bosch plug wires. That was the problem! For months, I would put fuel injector cleaner in it, and it would temporarily fix it? ? ? I was almost certain it was the fuel injector! This is a great bunch of members, and I appreciate all of the assistance.

Thanks!