PDA

View Full Version : Megaupload Indictment Court Document

clarkBENT
01-20-2012, 11:39 PM
They are fighting the case. I hope they prevail. What people do with publicly available services should not be the responsibility of the underlying business. When 9/11 happened in the United States, the government didn't sue the airlines, because their planes were used as weapons.

An excellent comment on a NPR post about Megaupload (where the site posts a clip from the movie Casablanca): "Should SOPA, PIPA, or DMCA be used to shutdown NPR's website, arrest its reporters, and freeze its finances because NPR posted a clip from a movie? Does NPR own the rights to Casablanca?"

The US Government is overreaching. These "acts" are the equivalent of censorship and is in complete violation of the United States' first amendment.

StanW
01-20-2012, 11:56 PM
This is a real pita - half of my download sources are dead .lol Hopefully they'll see the light and back down - not sure if the pressure tactics being used are going to achieve what they intend to or have the opposite effect .

Crazy Carl
01-21-2012, 02:50 PM
I read about this right after they had arrested him and seized his servers, the dude was living the lavish lifestyle that's for sure.. But my point i want to make here is rather the same as what youtube does, if youtube hosts a video that is either copyrighted material or deemed inappropriate a person complains and youtube takes it down, there is no difference in what megaupload does if somebody complains or they find it themselves does it not say file has been removed due to copyright infringement? This is were i think megaupload has the upper hand, they do what any file hosting site does which is why the originals still exist today, they remove files that users or that they find illegal. Another point to be made is what is the US government doing in New Zeeland anyways, this is what ron paul always talks about.

clarkBENT
01-22-2012, 09:11 AM
Megaupload.com Court Document

Kim Schmitz (aka Kim Dotcom) gets his cars taken away: http://www.flickr.com/photos/elliottkember/sets/72157628949521545/with/6729504809/

Site seized, assets frozen/stolen without their day in court...America is turning into a gestapo state.

Full 72 page PDF court indictment attached.

Swiper the Fox
01-25-2012, 09:08 PM
only politicians are allowed to be 'legal' criminals

habs fan
01-26-2012, 03:09 AM
only politicians are allowed to be 'legal' criminals very well said
only in america..home of the free(without homeland security)another farce to scare its citizens

StanW
01-27-2012, 07:19 PM
Not sure how this discussion went of track - the of topic posts have been removed, please lets stay on the original subject :thumbsup:

footymama
01-28-2012, 03:47 AM
Megaupload was equivalent to someone renting out storage lockers, except people storing their stuff, they were storing their files. Is a storage facility owner responsible if someone stores drugs in their storage locker or stolen property ? Absolutely not, the same analogy can be ported to MU, it's not like the site was actively marketing it self as a pirate files storage facility. So good luck to the prosecutors because they will never get a conviction.

Redeyewillie
01-29-2012, 06:02 AM
Hope this blows over soon my downloading has been cut way down since.

StanW
01-29-2012, 06:06 AM
... and it's not just mu - hotfile and fileserv are deleting files almost as fast as they get posted, rs seems to be one of the unaffected ones.

darthmatt
02-21-2012, 08:47 AM
I was actually expecting that the Megaupload guys get away somehow but the charges were pretty serious..too bad they brought megaupload down, now other file sharing websites are shutting down. <br />
but I...

Slickums
02-21-2012, 03:53 PM
A related torrent program that you might look into is "Tribler". It does not use any centralized index servers, can be used w/o 'trackers', so it is claimed it cannot possibly be "shut down" as it is totally P2P.

It is still a little bit buggy on w7-x64 and because it was developed using Python, is a little bit of a CPU hog...but they seem responsive to bug reports and are improving it. Goog it and you will get a lot of hits!

darthmatt
02-29-2012, 01:19 PM
I haven't heard about that one but I will definitely take a look at it.
but speaking of p2p, I found this post today about that Audials Anywhere soft I was telling you about (well I found out the name :P): hxxp://www.mytechguide.org/11375/audials-anywhere-personal-media-cloud-rumor. you can basically share your files with other people and copy files from their media collection. they call it a personal media cloud. you think it's any good? i wanna give this one a try as well, sounds like a possible alternative to torrents and file sharing websites.

Slickums
02-29-2012, 02:43 PM
Information pretty skimpy on audials....but looks like a spin on dropbox, or other 'cloud' storage where you set up personal storage and invite others? Don't see how this one differentiates itself from the thundering herd, yet...

Anubis
02-29-2012, 03:18 PM
I haven't heard about that one but I will definitely take a look at it.
but speaking of p2p, I found this post today about that Audials Anywhere soft I was telling you about (well I found out the name :P):
http://www.mytechguide.org/11375/audials-anywhere-personal-media-cloud-rumor/. you can basically share your files with other people and copy files from their media collection. they call it a personal media cloud. you think it's any good? i wanna give this one a try as well, sounds like a possible alternative to torrents and file sharing websites.
It is against site rules to post live links to outside the site.
The posting of live links within the site is ok.:yes:

darthmatt
03-01-2012, 02:15 PM
Oh, sorry about that :D

sum1
03-03-2012, 07:03 AM
only politicians are allowed to be 'legal' criminals
That is true, 100% agree with that saying

dekoohs
03-09-2012, 12:40 AM
Well put footymama. This whole case makes me mad. They are using this guy (kim) as an example. If he were not larger than life, they would move on.

Torrentz are the way to go. Make sure the software you utilize implements RC4 (symmetric algorithm) that scrambles the header so your ISP isnt sure what the throughput is.

Glad to see Im not the only one who thinks this is crap. Maybe Obakma will pardon him on his way out.

REGGIEP
03-30-2012, 11:14 PM
pretty i always use to go on that site

rnmartinez
04-01-2012, 08:59 PM
Funny, it seems they were working on legit content deals just before the bust. I think content providers need to see the value of the cloiud and sharing and find a way to monetize it.

cside
02-12-2013, 05:43 AM
Has anyone used/ have a account with the new mega site? seems he's ready for business again, I guess the us government doesn't scare that german giant. It appears NZ wants to keep him around too.