PDA

View Full Version : Can I use rat shack signal splitters to split dish signal (118/119 single LNB only)

dishguy06
01-23-2012, 10:33 PM
Hi, I have one coax cable coming into the basement from my dish outside and this one cable goes straight upstairs to my family room. What I want to do is split that cable in the basement so that, one cable will go upstairs from the splitter and one will stay in the basement for a second receiver.

Can I use those regular coax cable splitters from rat shack? The cable coming from outside is only coming from the 118/119 30" Dish, no diseqc switches or any other switches are being used.

StanW
01-23-2012, 10:55 PM
Splitters do not work with satellite receivers . You will have to use a a/b type of switch or the loopout port from one of the recriver (only one recriver can be used at a time eith either) or run a second cable into the house.

stman
01-23-2012, 10:56 PM
Cable splitters will not work in the satellite frequency range. You also aren't getting all the channels through the coax feed like you do with regular cable. The receivers send commands to the lnb to change tps in order to change channels. Your best course is to run another cable from your lnb.

DSSRUEL
01-23-2012, 11:38 PM
Thats one of the oldest questions in FTA history

Change that single LNB (1-port) for a dual LNB (2-ports)
for 118/119 you will need the KU Circular (10750) model
then you can drop 2 coax cables, good for 2 receivers

dishguy06
01-24-2012, 12:42 AM
Hi stan thanks, I looked up an a/b switch on my local fta store and it looks like it has 2 "in" inputs and 1 "out" output to the TV set. Will this split the signal for me? I will put the main cable on "TV set" and use the 2 "in" inputs to run cables to each receiver. Will that work and can I use those two receivers at the same time on different channels? I am not too familiar with this switches. I only used diseqc and 22khz switch back in the day when everything was good lol

I know about running a second cable but I just want to know of all other options before I do that. It's really cold over here and my roof is full of snow where my dish is mounted. So I was hoping to just add a splitter in the basement so I can avoid going out in the cold to run cables and changed to dual LNB lol. I guess I will have to do that if I have no other option.

Thaks guys

StanW
01-24-2012, 12:47 AM
Hi stan thanks, I looked up an a/b switch on my local fta store and it looks like it has 2 "in" inputs and 1 "out" output to the TV set. Will this split the signal for me? I will put the main cable on "TV set" and use the 2 "in" inputs to run cables to each receiver. Will that work and can I use those two receivers at the same time on different channels? I am not too familiar with this switches. I only used diseqc and 22khz switch back in the day when everything was good lol

I know about running a second cable but I just want to know of all other options before I do that. It's really cold over here and my roof is full of snow where my dish is mounted. So I was hoping to just add a splitter in the basement so I can avoid going out in the cold to run cables and changed to dual LNB lol. I guess I will have to do that if I have no other option.

Thaks guysAn AB switch only allows you to use one receiver at a time . Instead of an AB switch you can use a regular coax splitter but than again only 1 receiver can be powered on at a time.

stman
01-24-2012, 01:08 AM
Thats one of the oldest questions in FTA history Change that single LNB (1-port) for a dual LNB (2-ports) for 118/119 you will need the KU Circular (10750) model then you can drop 2 coax cables, good for 2 receivers Those 119/118 lnbs typically have two outputs. :)

slugworth
01-24-2012, 01:31 AM
some receivers will burp if you connect the lnb with receiver turned on,like my openbox s10.
You would have to turn the receiver off if you used an a/b switch, before throwing the switch.
Make sure it's a quality switch and not one of those $3.99 models.

WillDekkard
01-24-2012, 06:15 AM
Best to run a second cable into the house for the second receiver. You could also place a 3x4 multiswitch on those 2 cables, inside the house. That way you could always add a 3rd or 4th receiver. Using an A/B switch is always an option, but as pointed out the inherent dangers if you forget to power down the receivers before flipping the switch. Remember, that the A/B switch limits you to 1 receiver or the other, whereas 2 cables will not and you can have both powered on and usable at the same time.