PDA

View Full Version : switch for satellite fta and cable?

astaza
01-24-2012, 07:54 PM
i firend of mine look for a switch in which he can use a port for cable and other for staelitte(fta) for his second TV.HE connects the second tv with satellite cable from theback of the receiver(tv out) so he wants to connect it along with cable to a switch so he can switch between satellite and cable. i wonder if there is switch that work with sat and cable to gether?
thanks

StanW
01-24-2012, 07:57 PM
A simple coax splitter ( reversed ) will do the job. One in two out.

astaza
01-24-2012, 11:09 PM
could plz stanw give me a picture of this coax splitter, which should have two in(one for sat 97w the other for cable). he tried a simple cheap splitter,which is normly for cable not sat but it does not work for him.

WillDekkard
01-25-2012, 06:06 AM
i firend of mine look for a switch in which he can use a port for cable and other for staelitte(fta) for his second TV.HE connects the second tv with satellite cable from the back of the receiver(tv out) so he wants to connect it along with cable to a switch so he can switch between satellite and cable. i wonder if there is switch that work with sat and cable to gether?
thanks

OK, I am a little confused? . . . ?

What type of cables are you using to go from the Receiver to the TV? If it is HDMI, Component, or Composite then the answer would be to use 2 Diplexers. The coax cable from the dish's LNB is input to the Sat side of the Diplexor and the coax cable from Cable is input to the Ant. side which allows you to deliver 1 coax cable to the rear of the Receiver/TV which you then use the Diplexor the opposite way as the first 1, 1 cable from the Ant. side to the TV's RF input and the Sat. side to the Receiver's dish input.
http://www.satfix.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=12932&d=1327471422

astaza
01-25-2012, 06:47 PM
What type of cables are you using to go from the Receiver to the TV?
he is using the coax cable.

Terryl
01-25-2012, 06:53 PM
An "A/B" switch would be the best thing to use,(you can get them at Radio Shack) as you wouldn't want to mix the signals from the CATV company with the signal from the FTA receiver, you can have some problems.

Ssometimes the signal from the receiver will interfere with the signal from the cable company, the signal from most FTA receivers RF output is ether TV channel 3 or 4, if there is a channel 3 or 4 on the cable then there will be problems.

satchick
01-25-2012, 09:30 PM
Ssometimes the signal from the receiver will interfere with the signal from the cable company, the signal from most FTA receivers RF output is ether TV channel 3 or 4, if there is a channel 3 or 4 on the cable then there will be problems.
If you wanted to mix the signals, you could use a band stop filter tuned for channel 3 or 4...... That should also prevent back feeding the cable system.

astaza
01-26-2012, 12:11 AM
so can the diplexer splitter above work? he can order it.

WillDekkard
01-26-2012, 06:20 AM
What type of cables are you using to go from the Receiver to the TV?
he is using the coax cable.

Some FTA receivers do not have a RF coax output. Even if it does, most will use composite or component to deliver better picture quality. That way the coax from the Cable Co. would input into the RF input on the TV, while composite or component cables from the FTA receiver would input into the TV. No A/B switch needed. Switching is preformed by selecting the coordinating input selection on the TV's remote.