PDA

View Full Version : 1999 Mercury Sable - Electrilcal Short

donaldelee
02-09-2012, 12:29 AM
When I purchased my 1999 Mercury Sable I noticed that it had an electrical short. The windshield wipers would come on whenever they wanted to. A light comes on indicating that there is a door ajar. The door ajar light indicates that when it is on, that I can not play the radio when it is on without the chime coming on, and is too annoying to leave the radion on. And, I have to remove the key from the ignition. Tonight, I purchased a dome light bulb, and placed it in the overhead light fixture. Noticing that it did not have a bulb in it I assumed that the electrical short was the reason it did not have a bulb in it.
I was right! The bulb does not turn off! Unless the wheel that is used to roll to dim the panel lights is not the way to turn the bulb off? ? ? All suggestions to start the process of finding my short is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

satchick
02-09-2012, 12:45 AM
The door ajar light is probably caused by a faulty door switch, usually the one on the driver's door is the first to go. The switches aren't expensive, I would do both front doors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFS_SYGSbQc

A temporary fix would be to spray the latch and switch with WD-40 or white grease after cleaning it up, this will only temporarily fix the problem if the switch is simply stuck. If the switch is damaged electrically it needs replacement.

dukeathome
02-09-2012, 12:57 AM
If not the switch I would check the wiring harness into the drivers door,pull the rubber boot away from the door and check for broken wiring.

LuckyLarry
02-09-2012, 01:03 AM
Both good possibilities, but most likely the switch as pointed out above.We have done quite a few on Fords/Mercurys from that era.Some models you can buy the switch separately,some you have to buy the whole latch assembly.In either case, it's off with the drivers door panel for starters...lol.

afaster69
02-11-2012, 07:04 AM
I think i would call a priest ,about an exercisum? :tehe:

iq180
02-13-2012, 06:09 PM
if you know some one with a good code scanner you can look at the data with all the doors closed to see what door showes open then you can test the
switch and wires, i use the snap on solus pro scanner, i have not seen this problem on the sable but the ford trucks i have replaced lots of door switches.

Terryl
02-13-2012, 06:44 PM
Well we might have fixed his door light problems, now how about those windshield wipers?

Sounds again like a short, most have the controls on the turn signal arm, this has a cable bundle running down the steering wheel column to a delay module, to truly run this one down your going to need a factory service manual, one with some electrical schematics of the dash and steering column.

If not a wiring problem, then it's the switch, or delay module and those can be a bugger to replace for the average do-it-yourself-er.

Do they come on while moving, standing still, or both?

If while moving then I lean to the switch being flaky, if while standing still, then it could be the delay module.

satchick
02-13-2012, 09:48 PM
I believe the wipers are controlled by the GEM (Generic Electronic Module) in these cars. The GEM is known to fail and cause all kinds of weird electrical problems. If I remember correctly, a Ford dealer can scan for stored codes in that module.

The Cobra
02-13-2012, 10:58 PM
Hmmmmm....windshield wipers, radio, dome light and door locks...this really sounded familiar, in GMs I think all mentioned are on the same circuit but I`m not sure on Fords. A few years ago I had an Olds Touring Sedan..it started doing the same as described then the power to all just went off. I almost killed myself looking and testing as did my mechanic, it took us 3 days and we had almost given up...then I found it by accident. I had gotten a case of water at the store, threw it in the back seat and noticed the lighter on the back door panel was slightly tipped...I pushed it back into place but it wouldn`t go so I took it out and looked in the hole......low and behold there was a penny in the hole. Look in the cigarette lighters to see if anything is in there that would short out the circuit...if it`s something that would roll about it may not blow the breaker but may intermittently cause the power to go crazy. I took the penny out of my lighter and all was well.
I know this sounds crazy but a simple thing like looking in may save you a ton of man hrs and some money.

donaldelee
02-15-2012, 12:56 PM
Allow me to say thank you for all of the responsesl. Including the suggestion about the exercism! lol :tehe: ... Just checked this thread, and was pleased to see this wonderful group is still assisting in suggestions. Here in south central Illinois, we have finally received winter. It has been a little cold for me to fix my short. All suggestions are really good! I will be on the project in a very few days. The break in weather is only a few days away.
Thanks!