PDA

View Full Version : Spurs used balanced scoring to crush minnesota

casper
12-30-2009, 10:53 AM
SPURS USED BALANCED SCORING TO CRUSH MINNESOTA

THE SPORTS NETWORK

San Antonio, TX (Sports Network) - Richard Jefferson led six Spurs in double figures with 24 points, as San Antonio beat the Timberwolves for the 10th straight time, 117-99.

Roger Mason netted 18 points, while Manu Ginobili added 14 points, 10 assists and nine rebounds for the Spurs, winners in six of their last seven games.

Tim Duncan chipped in his usual 17-point, 10-rebound effort, and Tony Parker was a 12-point, eight-assist contributor in a victorious cause.

"I don't know if it was because of my energy but I felt we played an overall good game," Ginobili said. "The first half wasn't that good defensively, but in the second half we stepped up and moved the ball really well, and when we do that everyone feels good and everyone hustles and it's a different mood."

Al Jefferson went for 20 points and eight rebounds, while Kevin Love donated 18 and 12 for Minnesota, which was coming off back-to-back wins for the first time this season. Jonny Flynn scored 17 points in defeat.

"Tonight the Spurs denied me the ball a lot," Love said. "I think if I continue to rebound and get points inside and utilize my jump shot we will get better. That's what I love to do."

The Spurs were on top 29-24 after 12 minutes of action, and the second quarter opened with a three-pointer from Mason and a three-point play the old fashioned way from Ginobili.

Two separate 6-0 San Antonio runs during the second frame helped build a 66-52 cushion at halftime.

Two Love free throws got the visitors as close as 76-67 midway through the third, but San Antonio scored the next 10 points -- capped by five DeJuan Blair free throws -- to pull away.

It was 89-73 heading to the fourth, which Jefferson jump-started with a pair of three-pointers to bury the Timberwolves even further.

Game Notes

Blair ended with 11 points for the Spurs, who made 12-of-24 from three-point range...Corey Brewer scored 14 points for Minnesota, which shot 39.6 percent from the field.