PDA

View Full Version : Roy Jones Jr. takes Pacquiao’s side about the blood tests

KIDWCKED
12-30-2009, 05:04 PM
c\p from boxingnews
By Scott Gilfoid: The great Roy Jones Jr. is firmly on Manny Pacquiao’s side, according to an interview at Boxing Talk. Speaking about the blood tests, Jones said “Why should he [Pacquiao] change for Floyd? [Mayweather]…If you’re going to check him, why didn’t you check [Juan Manuel] Marquez? It’s kind of strange to call him out on this, and nobody else.” I totally agree with you, Roy. Why make poor Pacquiao the whipping boy for this new steroid testing? If they wanted to change the rules at this point, it should have come from the Nevada Athletic Commission, not the Mayweather camp.

I don’t blame Pacquiao for not wanting to go along with the program on this blood testing, especially when it’s not the norm for fights in Nevada. And on top of that, Pacquiao is uncomfortable with having any blood taken from his body. I could tell just watching Manny have blood taken from him on the HBO Pacquiao-Hatton 24/7 series. Poor Manny had to put his sunglasses on while having his blood taken. He probably did that to shut out the experience.

It’s not easy for some people. On the surface, yeah, it seems like not a big deal for most of us, but not for him. At the same token, Pacquiao is the best there is in the ring, and he does things that we can’t or wouldn’t want to do. It just goes like that. Who wants get hit in the face? Pacquiao is fearless in that regard.

Jones says “The testing is very good right now, and there’s nothing he [Pacquiao] could really do that they can’t find out. Why make Pacquiao take the test and not anybody else?” I hear you, Roy. Why make Pacquiao the test case for this kind of thing. This stuff should have been settled long before this fight, you know? You can’t just change the rules and then demonize Manny just because he’s squeamish about having his blood taken from him. I say forget about the blood tests entirely.

If Mayweather wants fight against someone that is tested 24/7 randomly for blood, he should throw that out there to them long before it gets to the negotiating point. If they know what time it is, they can say yes or no about whether they’ll be willing to take this test. I wouldn’t take the tests if they tried to pressure me into taking them, and I don’t care what people think. There’s no reason for Pacquiao to have to do what isn’t normally done for a fight. I could udnerstand, like I said, if this was the norm, but it’s not.

So my suggestion is that they forget completely about the blood tests and just focus on having the urine tested. If Mayweather is such a great talent like he says he is, then he should be more than good enough to beat Pacquiao without these tests. Mayweather is proud about rarely getting hit in his fights, so why is he worried about the testing methods? He isn’t going to wrestle Pacquiao on the canvas. Pacquiao should tell them all to kiss his backside if they want him to take these tests.