PDA

View Full Version : Signal fluctuations when 2 receivers are on at the same time

angry.dot
03-08-2012, 04:21 PM
I am trying to troubleshoot a problem I have with my satellite setup. When I have my Limesat Ultra on, and my CNX Nano2 on, depending on the channel both are on, sometimes the signal on my Limesat Ultra fluctuates. This causes the video to play normal for a second or two, then it pixelates/freezes for a second, then the video comes back in for a second, then back out, etc. If I turn the power off my Nano2, the Limesat signal no longer freezes and the problem goes away.

I recently replaced the diseqc switches thinking that was the problem. I thought it did fix the problem, but it turns out I was wrong. The problem came back. Here is a wiring diagram:

http://www.galaxy-marketing.com/switch2.jpg

I only run 3 receivers. It seems my Limesat Ultra is the receiver that often experiences the signal fluctation... but I have seen the problem on my CNX Nano2 occur too, but not very often. I would say 95% of the time its my Limesat Ultra's signal that is cutting in and out. The Limesat Ultra is also the receiver with the longest coax cable run. If the Nano2 is experiencing siganl fluctation, turning off the Limesat Ultra fixes the problem and signal remains strong again.

I have 2 receivers in my basement, and 1 in the top floor of a 2-story house (basement, middle level, top floor). I have a CNX Nano2 and a Limesat HD Max in my basement. The coax wiring from the dish also comes into the basement. These 2 receivers work perfectly fine when they are both on. However, when the Limesat Ultra on the top floor is turned on, it experiences signal fluctuates whenever the Nano2 is on. (To be honest, I don't know if it experiences signal fluctuation when the Limesat HD Max is on as I almost always keep that receiver powered OFF).

I am beginning to think this might be caused by a long coax cable run. The coax runs from the basement to the attic, then across to the other side of the house.

Does anyone else think based on the symptoms, this could be the problem? And if so, am I able to add some kind of signal booster to help with this? I assume the signal booster would be added immediately after the output of the diseqc switch that runs to the Limesat Ultra upstairs. Thoughts anyone?

stman
03-08-2012, 04:30 PM
You need to ground your cabling. That will likely solve it.

jam25
03-08-2012, 05:30 PM
I had the same issue with two dm-500 and a vs ultra.
To resolve it, I replaced my cables and also used grounding blocks and now its ok

Terryl
03-08-2012, 06:23 PM
On the long cable run, what type of coax did you use, and how long is it? <br />
<br />
You also have multiple un-powered switches, anything you add to a satellite system causes signal loss, every switch adds 3...

angry.dot
03-08-2012, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. Its very much appreciated!!!

I am quite certain its RG6 coax cable. I have no idea how long the run is. Lets see... I need like a 30ft ladder to get to my roof. So I will be generious with my estimates: 30 feet of coax from dish to my basement panel. Plus 30 feet to up to my attic. 20-30 feet from attic to other side of house (this included the length of running down the wall into the wall jack). At most I would say its 90-100 feet of coax from the dish to the Limesat Ultra receiver.

ALSO... In my panel area, I had to add an "F-type" female<->female barrel connector to the the long coax cable that runs up to the upstairs bedroom. I had to do this because the coax line going to the upstairs wasnt long enough to reach my diseqc switch, so I added this female<->female connector and a short 2 ft coax cable (also RG6 rated) to extend the length to reach my diseqc switch. Are these "F-type" female<->female adapters rated for different uses? Maybe I have one that is designed for X ghz and I need one with a better rating? I bought them from monoprice.com and it looks like this:

http://images2.monoprice.com/productmediumimages/6891.jpg

Another note... If I replace the Limesat Ultra with a NFusion Pheonix, the signal *appears* to be steady on the NFusion signal bar. ALthough I only tested this for approximately 5 minutes so its far from conclusive. Plus, I did not have the NFusion actually decoding any channels... I just tuned into the channel and watched the signal bar to see if there was any movement. I also bring up the menu and watch the signal strength... I switched to multiple TPs and each TP with good signal kept its signal. There were no fluctuations.

Could the Limesat just be more prone to weak signals? Or is this really a grounding problem?

I emailed my installer and told him my problem and asked if he could install a ground block for me. I will keep this thread updated with any real progress I make.

angry.dot
03-08-2012, 07:18 PM
Now I can't tell from your drawing, but the first set of switches look to be 2 input to 4 output, are these legacy switches? That have an A and B input marked +13 and +18?

The first set of switches are 3x4 multi-switches. They are the "Eagel Aspen" brand. They do have A and B inputs marked +13 and +18 yes. I dont know if these Eagel Aspen are considered legacy switches or not.

And what type of LNB's are they?. The LNBs and the Dish itself are Bell branded. In the receiver setup, I have always picked "standard".

Also grounding the switches will work wonders as far as solving some switching problems, BUT don't go adding in a ground block, if the switches are all metal cases then just use bolts and nuts with some 12 gauge copper wire, all this tied together and run to your ground point.

The Eagal Aspen 3x4 multiswitches are metal I believe. Are you saying I can simply take some 12 gauge copper wire, connect the wire from the first multiswitch, to the second, to the third, and then finally the forth, and then continue the 12 guage copper wire to a ground point? I am not sure where my ground point is, but I did read about grounding to cold copper water pipes. There is a cold water copper pipe very close to my panel. Could doing this be a sufficient way to ground the coax cables and fix my fluctuations?

Thanks for the in-depth replies Terryl! You seem to know your stuff! :)

falukalu
03-24-2012, 05:12 AM
angry.dot - any update on your issue..? I seem to have similar issue..

Terryl
03-24-2012, 05:28 AM
The first set of switches are 3x4 multi-switches. They are the "Eagel Aspen" brand. They do have A and B inputs marked +13 and +18 yes. I dont know if these Eagel Aspen are considered legacy switches or not.

. The LNBs and the Dish itself are Bell branded. In the receiver setup, I have always picked "standard".

The Eagal Aspen 3x4 multiswitches are metal I believe. Are you saying I can simply take some 12 gauge copper wire, connect the wire from the first multiswitch, to the second, to the third, and then finally the forth, and then continue the 12 guage copper wire to a ground point? I am not sure where my ground point is, but I did read about grounding to cold copper water pipes. There is a cold water copper pipe very close to my panel. Could doing this be a sufficient way to ground the coax cables and fix my fluctuations?

Thanks for the in-depth replies Terryl! You seem to know your stuff! :)

Angydot, I'm so very sorry I haven't got back to you on this, somehow I didn't get the normal E-mail to a reply on these posts.

OK so If you haven fixed you problems, then lets look a the switches, if they are marked as you posted then that's the problem, you can't use legacy switches with DP equipment, they have to be Diseqc switches, not the +14 and +18 volt switching type.

Now for the grounding, yes the way you described it will work, and if it's a METAL cold water pipe, and all you pipes going to the outside and under ground are copper, then that will be a good ground, just get a ground clamp for copper pipe. (be careful not to over tighten it.)

Again sorry for the miss on this one.